Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

It CAN be done

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Wizardhawk, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Wizardhawk

Wizardhawk IncGamers Member

It CAN be done

Not sure if this should be a new thread or I should post in Jake_b74's existing thread. If this should be in his thread too I will move this one and then post updates in his thread.

I was reading the forums and saw Jake_b74's bow barb thread, and all the responses about how it can't be done. I'm one of the people who feel that almost every single build can be played if you are patient enough and determined enough. So, I have decided I am going to play an untwinked HC bowbarb too, in the hopes that one of the two of us will beat Hell Baal, if not hell cows. Thus, BB_Hawk is born to achieve the unachievable, to make believers out of all the nay-sayers, and to laugh at Baal and his brothers while I plunk them with arrows.

Skills:

20 Shout
    20 Battle Orders
    1 Find Potion, 5 Find Item (so it's sorta effective, 32%)
    5 Grim Ward (maybe more)
    10 Howl
    1 Taunt, 1 Battle Cry, 1 Battle Command
    5 Leap (for some good jump distance)
    1 Increased Stamina, 1 Iron Skin
    4 Increased Speed (25%)
    5 Natural Resist (40%)

Stats:

Str: enough for whatever good armor/bows I find
    Dex: enough for bow
    Vit: rest
    Energy: none

Newbie Question --- Should I download a special program to do my screenshots or is that not necessary?

From Jake's post, Bow/Crossbow only weapon, as soon as I find my first one of any color (even if I can't use yet for stats). I don't even have ATMA so I won't be transferring anything on or off of BB_Hawk, I can see a few uniques and sets going to the various vendors, to support my gambling addiction. I am going to use a mercenary, however, even if Jake doesn't.

I will be starting tonight and will post regular updates as to his progress and money wasted on gambling habits. I am also playing in the melee blues tournament, but I spend about 35-70 hours a week on the computer, depending, so I don't see a problem of time interfering with the tourney or my progress here (yes it seems like I have no life but I really do, I just don't have a job at the moment :lol: )

2. Wizardhawk

Alright thanks. Wasn't sure if they'd turn out decent like that. Also wondering, should I try this without rerunning any areas/bosses, or maybe a limit of X amount of boss kills each? It's one or the other tho, I don't want to play him where I sit and run nightmare meph until i'm decked out in full uniques/sets and stuff, takes some fun and challenge away :D .

3. Wizardhawk

With a good mercenary and /players 1, I can't see the bosses on normal or nightmare being too time consuming, hell might be a different story tho. Do my skills look alright or are there some major issues with them?

4. Jake_b74

Jake_b74 IncGamers Member

Wizard hawk, good luck. This will be hard, very hard, your in for soem fun though. Try doing the den and bloodmore on p8, i think that will help set the mood. :lol: :D Good luck! :thumbsup:

5. Wizardhawk

Thanks Jake, good luck to you too. I plan to play on /players 8 for almost everything except the bosses, all the way through normal. For nightmare I guess i'll have to see how fast the killing goes.

Finished the Den of Evil and am currently level 6. Found a white short staff with 2 frost bolt and 1 fire bolt on my 5th kill in the blood moore, so I returned to town and sold it for 2100gold. Took advantage of my quickly accumalted wealth to purchase a Hunters bow from charsi that could imbue it's arrows with poison, dealing an additional 7 damage over 3 seconds. I gladly cast away my pathetic axe and 'shield' for this marvelous weapon, and then went back to the task at hand, cleansing the Den. A few magical throwing knives, wands, a couple rare caps, and 3 levels later, I emerged from the Den having eradicated the problem. The loot ended up netting me 7500 gold, which I promptly drained on a full tome of town portal (habit, always keep it full, buy a new scroll every time i use one, lol), and spent the other 5000 gold on gambling 3 hunters bows and 2 long bows, keeping the last pathetic long bow. +2 max damage and +1 dex, yay. Next up is blood raven and her undead hordes.

I think this is going to be a blast, hopefully i'll find some decent bows from gambling soon, so I don't spend 400 arrows per monster pack. Right now I spent 1 point on find potion, 4 on howl, 1 on leap.

6. azn_apocalypse

azn_apocalypse IncGamers Member

With BO, Natural Res, and Shout, I think you'll have little trouble surviving, but I doubt your dmg output will be good enough for hell. Especially untwinked.

I think if this character were to beat hell baal, it would probably take a year or so. At least.

7. Wizardhawk

Using chippydips 1.10 thing, 5 leap says it gives 11.3 yards radius to jump, which seems far to me, plus whatever I end up with from + to skills (probably not much, since other equipment can probably assist in killing more than a little bonus to warcries and increased speed/resist). My first post only has 80 skill points spent, so I definately have a lot of room to add a new one or buff some of the ones with less points, or both.

8. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

put one point into leap attack you can jump pretty far

9. Sir Lanksalot

Sir Lanksalot IncGamers Member

Good luck with this, im starting a ranger paladin... but the 2 cant really compare in terms of difficulty. What merc you going to use?? Holy freeze or might?
    I've always thought it was a shame u cant ww with a bow - how awesome would that be!

10. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

Max leap, not leap attack, just leap. At slvl 20 the stun radius should easily cover the screen, so you can immobilize an entire screen full of monsters by just continuously leaping in place. If you're getting swarmed, just do that and let your merc slowly thin out the crowd as the monsters are kept in hit recovery.

11. corax

corax IncGamers Member

i'd say max BO, battle cry, howl and Leap. and have 5-10 points in shout.

BO gibs lots of life to you and your merc. so GG
    battlecry will let you have a chance of hitting things and make things hurt less which is GG too.
    howl to scare off mobs and shoot them in the spine...buahahahaha. maybe a point to grim ward too. so u can shoot while they get scared.
    leap is good for stun and when maxed can get u out of scary spots a treat, GG.

only 5-10 points to shout as you won't get enough def for it to be worth it and you shouldnt be getting hammered to much. so only really helpful for the merc.

definetly get a might merc. you'll need all the dmg you can get.

make sure you always have a source of psn and cold dmg on you at all times. dont go with xbows as they will generally be far slower and worse than normal bows. unless of course you find burrito cannon or hellrack :D try and get some pierce. say off razortail or some of the unique bow/xbows.

if you find a bow with exploding arrows then load up with fire dmg for awesome splash dmg effect.

build doesn't actually sound too hard. you have awesome crowd control so it'll just be about your patience more than anything.

goodluck and have fun

12. Wizardhawk

Oh, I didn't know that leap actually stunned the enemies. In Jake's thread someone said you can't use leap attack with a bow, and I won't be using any weapon besides bow/xbow so no point in spending a point there. As for taking forever untwinked, I don't have much choice considering I don't have any high level HC chars, and I want to do it for the challenge anyhow. Honestly, I'd be happy if I made it to Baal :) . The consensus seems to be that leap stuns, so I will make sure to get that to 20 too. Thanks for the advice everyone, i'm getting ready to do blood raven and maybe the Stoney Fields, so i'll post an update shortly.

13. corax

corax IncGamers Member

early on nothing beats topaz's in a bow.
    or you could load one up with tal's and scatter your shots.

14. Crunchy Frog

Crunchy Frog IncGamers Member

Don't forget that you have a weapon switch - put a non-bow weapon in it, and you can switch to it to use leap attack as a pseudoteleport. It's probable you'd want to have a non-bow weapon there anyway, if you're using a weapon with +skills to prebuff your warcries.

15. Wizardhawk

Corax and Sir Lanksalot - Yeah I'm definately going to use a might merc as soon as I get to act 2 nightmare. Until then I am going to grab a blessed aim merc for normal I think, I don't really like prayer or shout mercs.

I'm going to keep 20 in shout I think, it is still extra defense if not much, and it will lengthen BO duration too. I don't think this will be hard at all in normal, and probably not much in nightmare, but once I get to hell, things might start to suck if I don't get a few lucky drops/gambles, since I won't be twinking anything on.

Edit to add next update.

Having returned to Akara to inform her the den has been cleansed, the rogues asked me to assist them with the crazed Blood Raven. Informed that she was an expert marksman and could prove very dangerous, BB_Hawk set off with all confidence that he would prove the victor. He met up with the scout Flavie at the entrance to the Cold Plains, and found her in a heated battle with a gargantuan beast boss and his minions, assisted by a fallen shaman, 5 fallen, and several dark hunters too. This proved quite the battle, as the gargantuan beasts were enchanted with greatly enhanced speed. After dispatching of these pests, he thanked Flavie for her assistance and set off to complete his new mission. He didn't encounter anything more than minor at best resistance for the rest of his time in the cold plains. At level 8, he met up with blood raven and her undead cohorts. Easily dropping the pathetic zombies with one shot each, he then set to work on Blood Raven herself. The rogues assesment of her skill proved correct, and BB had to use several healing potions before he finally scored a fatal blow in her left temple.

Upon his return to town, BB was greeted with many cheers, and the rogue Gaile volunteered to assist me in my journies (fire arrow). The only worthwile item found was a -15% req jewel that i'm hoping I can find a nice bow to use it with. As BB headed through the Stoney Field, he met up with Rakanishu and his friends, dispatching them hastily, and taking minor damage aside from the lightning bolts that were flung every time Rakanishu took an arrow. Finding nothing else of interest in the area, BB headed through the Underground Passage, having to retreat outside one time when he encountered a fierce group of vile hunters and a cursed boss. After that, he quickly made his way to the Dark Wood, where he scoured the area, slayed that one brute boss, and took the scroll from the tree. Returning to Akara with his new find, he now has to rescue a man named Cain.

Summary : level 13, 3 socket long bow with 3 chipped topaz in it (I like when gheed sells 3socket weapons early on :clap: ), level 6 merc (she keeps dying), some rare boots with 5 LR and 5 CR, self repair and 25% poison length reduction, and +1 max damage on 2 rings and ammy, one ring also adds 14 AR.

16. Wizardhawk

True, I forgot about some echoing weapons or +2 barb skills to help with BO and such, but I am not sure if i'm going to use them, or simply go pure bows with no exception.

17. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

In regards to the re-running or not of certain areas, I did this with a hardcore pally. Normal and Nightmare were fairly easy (I ran through normal using a full Cleglaw's set). But Hell was ridiculous. My gear was very underpowered, even in the Blood Moor. For the Bowbarb, you might have an edge in that you won't be meleeing. It will be fun for you, I think. Cheers.

Steve

18. phatbrava

phatbrava IncGamers Member

it knocks them back too, and the radius is impressive at high slvl

19. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

This build will be very hard. Good luck.

I too agree that shout is kind of less effective for this build, since you are very unlikely to reach high def.

20. asdfgah

asdfgah IncGamers Site Pal

Maybe we should start a hc bowbarb tournament :uhhuh: