Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Issues Getting Rwm To Work

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Blockinlick, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Blockinlick

Blockinlick IncGamers Member

So for the past two days I've been struggling to get Runeword Mod to work in 1.14d
    -I created the data\global\excel\Runes.txt path in the Diablo II folder under Users\Name\Program Files as instructed.
    -Someone else mentioned that you need to place it in the original default Program Files Diablo II folder too. So I did that too.
    -I created a new Diablo II shortcut and added -direct -txt to the end of the target path exactly as instructed.
    -The issue happens when I attempt to change the "Start in" path to "C:\Users\Jeremy\Saved Games\Diablo II\data\global\excel\Runes.txt"
    When I do this, the following error window pops up
    [The folder specified in the Start Box is not Valid. Make sure that the folder exists and that the path is correct]

The path is made exactly as I was instructed by several different sources and it exists exactly as I typed it in. Anyone have any idea where I'm going wrong?
    I've also tried removing Runes.txt from the Start in Box and just ending the path at the excel folder. It accepts this and lets me do it, but when I attempt to make a Spirit sword [Tal Thul Ort Amn in white 4 soc Longsword], nothing happens.

2. NorthDakota

NorthDakota IncGamers Member

Your start in path should be Diablo II\Runewords

And that's it. From the way it sounds you got everything else right I think? The way you're describing stuff sounds a little weird to me though. For me installation was simply dropping the files into the Diablo 2 folder, and making the shortcut with direct txt and the start in Runewords.

Edit: the rwm files go in the Diablo folder that has the game.exe in it, not in your save file path. I wish I was at home to investigate a little better and so I could type out a better reply. But your installation should have been real easy.

Edit 2: okay I downloaded rwm on my phone to see how it looked. Here's how you install it.

1. Download the 1.13c version of rwm from the game changes help thread.

2. Extract the folder inside called "Runewords“

3. Put that folder in your main d2 folder, just put it in there. Don't put it inside data, don't put it inside anything else. When you look in the Diablo 2 folder, you should see stuff like game.exe, Diablo II.exe, the data folder, and your new Runewords folder.

4. Create your Diablo 2 shortcut with target - direct -txt and start in Diablo II\Runewords

And launch from the shortcut. It's really simple. It's a drag and drop 1 thing and create your shortcut. That's it. Don't do anything else rofl.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  3. Blockinlick

Blockinlick IncGamers Member

Tyvm. That worked.

What threw me off was that people mentioned that since 1.14, the file paths changed and getting RWM to work involved manually doing everything. Also, no one ever mentioned the "Runewords" folder at all. I think I got trolled lol.

4. NorthDakota

NorthDakota IncGamers Member

Yeah you prolly just got inside your head haha. The only paths that got changed that any casual player needs to know is the save file paths and that doesn't affect much if you're only playing one version.

Also welcome back to the forums :) don't let stuff like that bug you for days haha feel free to post and ask for help if you need! Lots of good folks here.

5. Vildecor

Vildecor IncGamers Member

Yeah, the only filepaths that got changed in 1.14 are the save files for your characters. Nothing else has changed.

Edit: Beaten to the punch!

NorthDakota likes this.