Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Israeli police storm al-Aqsa compound.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Drosselmeier, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Israeli police storm al-Aqsa compound.

All those who still believe Sharon and his government is working for peace, raise your hands.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/81430B2D-7880-4FE9-9EEC-52C32B96B79D.htm

Now, if that isn´t a provocation I don´t know what is. Even those of you who considered it a long term step towards peace have to agree that this is a pretty dangerous and stupid way to deal with the other side.

I´m sure some of you disagree with this of course, and I´d really like to see someone trying to justify this.

2. Madness

Madness IncGamers Member

Lets start this out by stating that I belive that this was handled in poor fashion.

Now, dont let the fact that this is a mosque mislead you. The mosque is where Alla is worshiped and it is where hatred and propaganda are the most powerful. As far as I understood, the age of the Muslims permitted to worship there was restricted, because the younger worshipperes tend to start riots.
    Please take in mind that al-Aqsa is directly above the west wall, where hundereds of jewish worshipperes gather. From the al-Aqsa compound one could easily lynch the west wall area.
    So apparently, this time the age restriction was decided to be lifted, allowing the younger worshippers in. Some provocation must have occured, enough to make chief of police think that the Jewish worshipperes are in danger, and take action.

Now I agree that there are better ways of handling the situation, but niether you nor I were there, and niether of us are a chief of police. Im pretty sure he had some things to consider that we dont know about.
    What Im trying to do here, then, is inform you that this wasnt a case of hundereds of police officers raiding on elderly Muslim worshippers.

3. Killswitch Engage

Killswitch Engage IncGamers Member

Well said girl, well said :thumbsup:
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

^^ !????? ??????? ??????

4. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

As I said in a PM to Madness this morning, there are no reports of injured Israelis. That kinda makes it seem like it might have been a bit over the top to storm a mosque and blast people with rubber bullets and shock grenades right after friday prayer. Just my opinion.

5. Akira

Akira Member

Well, at least it wasn't real bullets.

6. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

That's an idiotic attitude.

This reminds me of Sharon visiting that holy site (forgot name) purely to incite the Palestinians. Just plain idiocy. Bloody Israel and Palestine leaders need to be shot asap.

7. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

Given Sharon's past history with that site and his recent threats to Arafat, I'm inclined to think this is a deliberate attempt to provoke the Palestinians into more suicide attacks, which I assume he would then use as justification for who knows what.

Isn't there also a new Gaza incursion going on right now?

8. Carnage-DVS

I don't read up on Israel/Palestine anymore, it just depresses me.

9. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

I'm with you here. They won't ever stop fighting. Just more and more death until one of them wipes the other out.

10. Carnage-DVS

I don't mean to sound cruel hearted, but if this conflict rages on any further, it be a mercy to just wipe them all out.

11. Underseer

If the world has anything resembling a moral backbone, we'll work very hard to prevent that. Whether we succeed or not is another matter, but not trying would be incredibly, utterly wrong.

12. dodomac

dodomac IncGamers Member

So in order to keep Jewish worshippers safe they endanger Muslim worshippers, many of whom were minding their own business? Madness, you clearly illustrated your own bias in plain simple words. You say it was handled in a poor fashion yet you defend it still...

13. ScanMan

ScanMan IncGamers Member

OK, let's assume the UN grows a pair and decides to put a stop to this situation, the US promises not to veto this "fair, workable and lasting solution" and the Blue Helmets are deployed.

Just how do you prevent genocide when that is the stated goal of one side of this conflict?

How do you get the other side to de-militarize when they have been the victims of attempted genocide and have vowed "Never Again!"

What are you going to do? Stand in the middle and say "I'm going to shoot anyone who shoots anyone!" Is the UN willing to take the kind of casualties to peacekeepers that this will entail? Does the UN have the hard heart that will be needed to hunt down and kill the hard liners on BOTH sides before any kind of solution can be reached?

The real tragedy is that any kind of REAL solution to this problem is first going to involve a LOT of killing. There are elements on both sides that would rather die than compromise, and therefore that is what they will have to do: die.

Who is going to pull the trigger? Who has the stones to say "Here are the lists...arrest and execute them....then the re-education will start and THEN we can have peaceful co-exsistence."

The question isn't "Who will cast the first stone?", but "Who will cast the last stone?"

14. Underseer

Just because someone wants to commit a crime, it doesn't follow that it's impossible to stop them from doing so. I'm not sure what logic led you to that conclusion.

No one's asking Israel to de-militarize. Well, no one rational anyway.

You're wrong to imply that the only possible solution must involve war. I agree that Sharon and Arafat should be manacled and dragged before the World Court to be tried for the war criminals they clearly are (as well as a whole bunch of other people).

I'm not saying I have the best solution either. My only point was that it would be incredibly wrong to not try.

15. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

I UN won't do that. They should have learned their lessons. Peacekeeping operations only succeed if one or both sides are willing to settle. Also this wouldn't be peacekeeping, but forcing peace onto the people, which didn't work as exemplified in Rwanda (I think...).

16. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

If you ask me, the Israel/Palestinian problem has no solution outside of attrition. I really don't care anymore, let them all kill each other in their grand battle over who's book of fairy tales is the legitimate one. How enlightened and advanced we are, here at the dawn of this new millennium!

17. Underseer

Uhm, they're no longer killing each other in Rwanda, and they've set up South African-style "reconcilliation courts" (OK, loosely based on... how about "inspired by"?). Things are far from hunky-dory yet, but the at least the rivers no longer run red with corpses.

18. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

i didn't say they were....but...whatevers...wrong operation i guess *shrug*

19. ScanMan

ScanMan IncGamers Member

To try WHAT?

Do you feel that an ineffective attempt to do SOMETHING which winds up costing 3rd party lives is better than doing nothing?

Trust me, getting into the middle of this is going to cost lives...LOTS of lives.

Are you the kind of person who can think in the abstract about the REAL lives this will cost because it makes you feel morally correct to do SOMETHING, or are you the kind of REALIST who is ready to do what it takes to put an end to this situation, no matter how many killings it involves?

20. Plum

Plum IncGamers Member

This has roughly squat to do with who has the balls to assassinate a bunch of people. You kill the leader, one of a similar ilk will have no trouble stepping into place. To arrest the leaders, you'd essentially have to occupy Palestine and overturn Israel's entire political structure. Ignoring the fact that both feats would ridiculously difficult to accomplish, explain to me how each populace would respond to militaristic third party interference in the governments that they selected.