Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Isaac Asimov fans

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by gismo, Mar 23, 2004.

1. gismo

gismo IncGamers Member

Isaac Asimov fans

They are now making a movie based off of his work. The movie looks pretty good to me but I don't know how true it stays to his work. Well, I guess the 3 laws are basically the same.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/i_robot/

I can't wait to see it this summer aslong as it's not just another AI or Attack of the Clones.

2. publius

publius IncGamers Member

Well, from the trailer and the robots going berserk and killing people, I'd say Asimov is probably rolling over in his grave. One of the key themes in his Robot stories was that robots aren't necessarily evil, that they aren't destined to turn on their masters and kill them.

3. Shug_Ninx

Shug_Ninx IncGamers Member

Apparantly, the three basic rules for robots never crossed their minds. :D

4. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

why, oh why did this happen during my lifetime? Can someone sue them like S King sued the lawnmower man people? Please?

5. iq144

iq144 IncGamers Member

Yes, please kill them, kthx.

I always enjoyed Asimov's books because they had logic behind them and were good and satisfying reads, involving lots of science and lots of paradox. They're just ruining it now :S.

Robots NEVER kill ANYONE in his books. 1st law, mm hmm, mm hmm.

6. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

If this movie, as it has been described here, comes out, I'll personally roll Asimov over in his grave if he's not already doing so.

This is just absurd. I hate Hollywood filmmakers more and more every day.

7. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Well, if I recall correctly there were a few instances in which a single robot occasionally found a loophole in the three basic laws. Not a whole freakin army of them, though.
    The movie will probably be good. It also will obviously far transcend anything Asimov intended by his stories. Too bad; the stories are excellent as they stand already.

8. tarnok

tarnok IncGamers Member

I believe it could be a good movie if they removed every mention of Asimov's works. If the three laws are essential to the story then sure, keep that. But leave the characters out of it and the title as well. The only thing they can do by including those is piss off fans. I'll try to keep an open mind going into this, but I have never seen a case where someone picked up another artist's work and succeeded in making something from it that I wanted to see.

Hell, I've seen at least one artist pick up his _own_ work years after the fact and mutilate it. Not once, but twice!

9. eds01

eds01 IncGamers Member

well, in the book robots and empire (i think its that one), R. giskard kills someone at the end, because of the zeroth law that they had come up with (esentialy, humanity comes before an individual human), but then, because of the possibility that he had ben wrong, freezes (essentialy, he dies). with the nestor class robots (read the story "the little lost robot") , with some of them that were on this reaserch facility, which was NOT on earth, were imprinted with a partial first law. the thing about harming people through inaction was taken out, because some poeple there were under harmfull rays ("a moderate gamma feild") while they worked (but they only were harmfull after so long), so the robots would come into rescue them, but the rays instanly fried robot brains, so they made the ones with the parial first law. so, a robot with that partial first law could actualy hurt some one, because they could drop a weight, knowing that the could ketch it, then choose not to ketch it(i cant find the exact quote, but that is the example they used in the story). so yes, a robot can kill, but it could only be one of a few robots, and only one of them was a nestor class robot(who actualy tried to attack susan calvin, due to an order ["go lose yourself"], but he went insane in the attempt), who was on "Hyper Base". if the movie has robots killing people, im boycotting it.
    edit: at the time of the movie (2035), if i remeber correctly, robots were only in space, becuase most people had a frankenstien complex, or something like that

10. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

If they took out every mention of Asimov and anything by Asimov, then this looks like a pretty good Will Smith action movie.

But leaving the Asimov references in?

This is a travesty. One of the primary points of the robot stories is that robots can't violate the three robotic laws in the way depicted in those trailers. I am generally willing to overlook a lot of changes when a movie is made, because different media have different story telling needs. But to completely reverse one of the most important points of the story? That I can't overlook. Hopefully, enough people like me will refuse to watch the movie. Maybe if it bombs that'll send the appropriate message to whatever idiot Hollywood executive thought of this.

The most insulting thing is the gall they had in including an Asimov trivia game on their promotional web site. If they understood Asimov well enough to make that trivia game, why did they make this movie? Ugh. :rant:

11. Akira

Akira Member

Agreed, grave rolling abound.

At first it seemed like it would similar to one short story where there is one robot that kills someone and lies about it, and they must find out which one it is out of a batch of the same model.

However there are no killer robot armies in that story.

Although, i wouldn't mind having a killer robot army.

12. eds01

eds01 IncGamers Member

akira, i think your thinking of little lost robot, the one i mentiond in the story. he dosent kill anyone, but they have to pick him out of a group of 63 robots (i think it was 63, at least). its found in robt visons and i robot. a killer robot army would be imposible, though. one of the main parts of asimovs sci fi is that it would take decades (are at least years) of reaserch to try to make a robot that didnt have to 3 laws impressiond in it. thats why they just gave it a partial first law in the story. the 3 laws are imprtant to the well being of a robot brain- with out them, or if a robot violated them, the robot wouldent function. the only way you could make a robot army would be to either spend years of reaserching a brain without the 3 laws, or make an army of r. giskard or r. daneels with the 0th law, and convince them that humanity will come to harm unless they do what you tell them, and even thats risky, as they robots could A. turn on you, the absence of the 3 laws wouldent prevent it, or they would become convinced that you posed a threat to humanity. B. not do what you say, as the 2nd law wouldnt be there, or they could become convinced that if they listen to you it would harm humanity or c. due to not knowing the future, they would get robolock (i think thats what they call it)

13. Akira

Akira Member

i'm pretty sure there was some homicide involved. i also seem to recall them frying the robot with the low level radiation right before it (seems like it's going to) snaps and tries to kill the woman interrogating it.

14. eds01

eds01 IncGamers Member

im certan that there is no homocide in the story. but you are right on rereading the end of the story, the robot, when trying to attack susan, got bathed in gamma rays for 5 second, killing it, but it probably would have gone insane anyway.

15. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

It's still just one robot going insane. Not in any sense does this excuse the "Phantom Menace" army depcited in the trailer.