Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is Vengeance good vs. PI?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by churinga, Apr 17, 2008.

1. churinga

churinga IncGamers Member

Is Vengeance good vs. PI?

I'm a Zeal Smiter, and deal only physical damage with my LW pb. It took me forever to kill PI monsters... I'm wondering if I spend 1pt in Vengeance, will it resolve the problem?

Thanks!

2. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

Re: Is Vengeance good vs. PI?

If you plan to use your LW pb, then the answer is no. LW deals pathetic base damage, which will result in pathetic elemental damage. You could do it if you were using an eBotDz, but you are much better off using a Gimmershred, Azurewrath, Lightsaber, B. Star, etc. on switch.

3. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Azurewrath is one of the best weapons to deal with PI's: not only does it have massive elemental damage (700 average, combined), but it also features a Sanctuary aura that can boost your damage against Undead by up to a tremendous 510% (Five Hundred and Ten Percent)! What's more, Physical Resistances of undead are ignored, and that includes immunities! Meaning, Wraiths will not only be doable, but will be EASY, since you will deal elemental AND full physical damage to them, meaning you can leech off them (they have 33% drain effectiveness in Hell, so you can still leech them).

Most PI's are undead anyway (unless they're Stoneskin bosses). There are only 2 monsters that are PI and non-undead: Bug Swarms in A2/A3 and those goddamn pesky Frenzytaurs (the Blood Lord variety). The first ones won't give you any trouble (I was killing them with just Venom from Grief. Figures).

However, the Blood Lords... God, they are a nightmare to fight. Your best bet would be a highly-damaging elemental weapon with a good block shield, to deflect their insanely powerful attacks. An Azurewrath might JUST do it, but it will be kinda slow, since they have some sick amount of life.

And now, I, too, have a question. I am using a self-found Azurewrath on my 1-pt Smiter as a backup. What would be the perfect thing to socket it with? I don't really need IAS or ED of any kind. Should I stick in an elemental rune/jewel?

4. churinga

How about a Jah? ITD is very useful against packs of monsters, which gives you guarantee for life leech and killing speed, and thus you don't need to add much AR, or add much Zeal skill points (Zeal skill points seems especially useless with a Phase Blade as weapon...).

Back to my question before you steal my thread ;)

I currently have a teleport weapon on switch. I find it useful now and then, since I'm wearing a CoH, instead of Enigma. I also have a Lawbringer runeword in stash, which may be of similar effect as Azurewrath. But I find it rather inconvenient to switch between the three weapons... Any suggestions?

5. ProfessionalBerg

Get yourself an amulet with Teleport charges. You can use it temporarily instead of whatever amulet you use right now, and it only takes 1 slot vs 6 for a weapon like a Phaseblade.

What is this third weapon you are talking about? If you have Lawbringer, you don't need Azurewrath, and if you have Azurewrath, I don't see a point of using Lawbringer as well.

6. churinga

Three weapons I'm currently using/in stash: ;)
    LW pb, Lawbringer Pb, and a tele-Axe... One primary switch, one backup switch, and the third has to be in inventory or stash...

Yeah, a tele-ammy is a good idea, indeed. I just need to gamble a good rare one with tele-charges, yet good skill and resists... Bless me... But, true, switching ammy is easier than switching a third weapon

7. ProfessionalBerg

You don't need skills on a melee character that much at all. Aim for resists and maybe stats (strength/dex) or life. Don't be too picky, what a Zealot needs most from the amulet is resistances (this is why Metalgrid is such a good choice even for ITD-weapon - using meleers).

8. churinga

The ammy i'm currently using is:
    +2 defensive aura (not very good)
    +11 str
    +17 dex
    +37 life
    +15 fr
    +15 cr
    +15 lr
    +39 pr

i don't want to replace it for a while... :(

9. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

Actually, the succubus in WSK 3 are PI as well, and they are a complete pain in the rear. There's also the almost invisible dune beast looking things in Halls of Vaught.

Anyways, the only viable amulet I see for a zealot is a highlord's. Nothing else offers the same kind of damage increase as it does.

10. churinga

Yeah... I won't even think of going to Halls of Vaught with my zeal smiter... But for Ubers, he is the right choice..

11. improvius

improvius IncGamers Member

I thought the ED was broken on Sanctuary. I don't think it actually gives you any bonus at all. But in any case, removing physical resists from undead is a huge plus. I love this sword. I'm using one with a Ber on my trap/kicksin and soloing Ubers.

12. ProfessionalBerg

Oh, I didn't know that Sanctuary is broken. One more thing for Blizzguys to fix in a new patch (the question is: will they? :wink2:). Anyway, like you said, even simply removing Physical Immunities is a huge bonus, and ED% can be gotten somewhere else (Fanat+highly synergized Zeal+Fortitude=Owch!).

13. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

I found this succubus around Nihlatak and I couldn't figure for a second why the Life tap didn't help....:laugh:

I was partied with another zealot so we were pretty much DOOMED:undecided:

I had to get the zon to clear the 2 dozen or so of succubus. I think their attacks can be blocked, but with no leech... deadly