Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

is this viable?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by WNxZerker, May 15, 2005.

1. WNxZerker

WNxZerker IncGamers Member

is this viable?

I want to make a barb when the new season hits and I want it to use berserk and ww.
    ww around lvl 10-15 (20 if i can) and berserk at 20 and synergies aroun 10-15 with lvl 20 natural res and mastery.
    so what weapon would I go for and will berserk be high enough damage to kill in hell CS so that I dont get killed with IM. I plan to use ww everywhere else and basicly ww through all acts except for areas with IM casters.
    I am hoping for a build that kills most monsters in one ww and takes about 1-2 berserks to kill in hell CS.

Zerker

2. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

i think one point in berserk would be enough for cs, so u got lots of points left for passives or another purpose

3. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

I think 20 in mastery is good, but why 20 in nat res? I would wait til hell to see what you need and if gear provides some, then use a few in nat res to get you to where you need to be to be safe and the rest elsewhere.

4. stanzaman

stanzaman IncGamers Member

Why the level 20 natural resists? The point of dimishing returns on that skill is reached pretty quickly. Your points could probably be spent better elsewhere.

With regards to weapon, I would probably go with a martel. They are fairly fast, plus the damage against undead will help in cs. Perhaps use death set/sigons set for the leech and IAS bonus to make things even faster.

5. WNxZerker

lvl 20 nat res to make me less dependant on gear for res and then when I reach hell I can use gear slots for items that increase my damage and leech instead of res. I could probbably get away with lvl 9 as its 52 all res and lvl 10 is 54and it only increases by 2 for each skill point. then I would only need 73 all res in hell.
    so you would recommend a martel? for the weapon, is that going to be good for damage? or is there something better?

one point in berserk? is that enough? I will need to rely on it to kill physical immunes and IM casters in hell.
    has anyone tried a build like this before? what do youre skill points look like and why?

Zerker

6. Fearlessone

Fearlessone IncGamers Member

Like the others, I think 20 in natres is too much, 9 is fine. Max ww and mastery obviously. If u will be using berserk in cs, u will find a faster weapon to be good, unless u happen to play near fan pallys, and that doesnt happen in cs anymore. Martels are good, I use a no ias martel, and berserk with it, with one point in berserk, as a backup when mages are present. A lvl 1 berserk with a slow 2 handed weapon is, well, slow - and boring. But it sounds like u wont be doing just cs'ing.

U cannot be killed by IM by using berserk, unless u get mana burned or run out of mana somehow. Then if u are IM'd, u cannot berserk since it needs mana, and game will make u do a normal attack. So then u take IM damage.

So what is going to happen when u attack ur main nemesis, the oblivion knight? Here in 1.10, they cast a mean decrep on u when u get close. So ur berserk will be very very slow, and the OK will move away and u will go slo-mo to catch up with him. And this is what almost all the smarter than avg barbs do in cs. But if u were really a smart barb, u would put 12-14 pts into warcry, and then berserk or ww away, and keep casting every 4 seconds. This is what my ww barbs do, and I dont get killed in cs very often.

So, with this char type, there arent any skill points left over to do itemfind, or any kind of high lvl iron skin/shout. You wont have alot of points for faster run, and u will just be able to spare 9 points for natres. Almost no barbs ever go this route, but warcry is a very very powerful skill that minimizes the damage to about half the party most of the time. The berserk route is good if u have a good ias weapon, but the ok's will still decrep u before u can kill them, and then it gets tedious to kill them off so u can ww away.....

7. WNxZerker

if you get decrypted cast taunt and the OK will close into melee range for youre berserk. taunt also lowers targets damage and attack rating. I think I will use this instead of warcry. is there anything else that I need to know about the build?

Zerker

8. iMMoRTaL GuaRDiaNz

iMMoRTaL GuaRDiaNz IncGamers Member

no need for high zerk even gettin lvl 1 with a good dmg weapon youll do ok. dont go any higher than lvl 10 zerk no syns needed why go into ww if your plannin on csin. unless however u know how to ww w/o dyin to iron maiden.

i never made this but id go

1 Beserk
    20 Mastery (your specific type)
    xx Increased Speed (With gear on at least be 40% increased, since after that it takes 2 levels to increase speed 1% which is junk).
    20 Battle Orders
    1 Battle Command
    10 Shout
    10 Iron Skin
    xx Natural Resists (Until the % bonus of Resists given begins to rise slowly).

Rest into... Taunt (Because when it comes to CSing, exp is great at levels 1-20 then back to normal for 20-25 and 26-80 can be easily obtained with dins killin. After that an original monster isn't really of any need exp wise. Running thru on a barb tauntin all the regulars to run and pick off the champs/3 seal bosses)

I'm sure there's plenty of other ways to go, but I believe that setup would work well. With a good damage weapon, Angelic Rings/Ammy, 3k+life, and balanced resists your barb should be more than enough. I congrat you on not jumping on the bandwagon and making a din. A barb slaughtering CS... I rarely see them on Softcore Classic haha...

9. WNxZerker

WW is for running through other areas, I plan to use it as a rusher as he can ww into and beyond a mob of monsters and not have to worry about dying to them, my current hammerdin is too slow in act2 (he is only lvl 66 so if I lvl him more that may improve him but he can kil in act4 and bearly survives in act2) and my sorc is too weak in her secondary tree to do act2 and cant tele over monsters cause her FHR is too low and her life runs out real quick. my other plan is a orb chainlightning sorc with one point in ES to help keep her alive when she teleports, chainlightning with lvl 10 lightning and 20 mastery is powerfull enough to kill cold immunes in hell act4, and it covers a better area than meteor and can use FCR to increase the speed of her CL. a sorc without good gear is too fragile and no other chars can tele so I will either make a WW/Zerk barb or a CL/FO sorc, depending on how testing goes, I just needed to get some advice on the barb as I ussualy play sorcs and palladins.

Zerker

10. Fearlessone

Taunt does NOT work on champs, bosses, and especially Oblivion Knights. However u can always either howl all the surrounding monsters away and target just the mage (making things easier), or u can taunt all the non mages on and just barely offscreen to a 'killing field' around a corner in the cs. However, doing this, especially in parties, is slow. And alot of ppl don't know what u are doing and couldnt care less. Taunt a monster and every idiot playing with u will automatically target that monster(s) with everything they got. Necros will decrep them, sorcies will orb them, pallys will ignore the mob and go after u taunts with extreme vindictiveness. Zons will try to kill them. Almost no one understands what u are doing when u howl or warcry or taunt or find item. Try to taunt a mob somewhere, and the rest of the party will do everything possible to screw what u are doing up, instead of attacking the remaining monsters u left for them. So it takes 3x as long to accomplish much of anything, since every monster u taunt is being delayed getting around that corner away from IM.

U can ww in cs, if u are a smart barb - that is, using warcry. If u arent a smart barb, then u have to berserk or stand around and give bo, lol.

11. WNxZerker

can you plz go into more detail about the smart barb? how does warcry affect youre being albe to use WW while IM'ed? does it remove IM? or do you mean to use warcry to kill monsters then WW after IM has worn off? isnt warcry to low damage in hell?

Zerker

12. Fearlessone

Smart barb tells all in 100 words or less:

Warcry for 1.10 is able to 1) KILL, and 2) Stun. The old stun skill sucks now, it was a horrible nerf, u could kill just with this skill in the old days. (There were really StunBarbs, lol.) In order to kill, u would have to get like nearly 80 synergy skill points, and thats possible, but not relevant to u. So that leaves the stun aspect.

Warcry hurts and stuns, thats what the skill descrip says and does. U cannot ww with IM on u, warcry does not affect the IM curse over ur head. Warcry is physical damage, but u wont take IM damage using it. A necros amp will help a warcry. WW+IM was possible in the old days if u had well over 40% life leech, or the life tap (50% life leech) curse on ALL of the monsters u were ww'ing. Warcry only stops the mages from casting any curses on u in the first place. If u warcry them and dont have IM on u, and there are no other mages onscreen or just offscreen, and ur warcry is at least lvl 13 (with some +skills items, this should buy u up to a good 4 seconds of stun), then u can do 2 ww's and kill the mage. That is, if he is alone and doesnt have minions nearby gobbling up some of those hits on ur ww passes. If u dont kill the mage(s) in 4 sec or less, warcry again!! Always make sure the mages have the stun stars over their heads!!

Mages CANNOT curse u with any curse if they are stunned. Period. If u try to berserk an OK, he decreps u and runs away, then its all slow-mo, and that is boring. If u are decrep'd, then u can warcry and ww, ur ww wont be sloooww.

Very few barbs use warcry, its at the end of a tree with prereq's, its a lvl 30 skill, and it takes a bunch of points to do a good job. But barbs who use it die less than any other barbs in the game....

13. WNxZerker

thanks that helps alot.
    that sounds like a difficult way to go. but I will lokk into it.

Zerker