Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is this right or wrong?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by sighoth, Jul 30, 2010.

1. sighoth

sighoth Banned

Is this right or wrong?

Ok, Im 50/50 atm about what just happend, i was in a game where someone needed shako, since i have 2 i joined and looked at the offer, the assa offers 2 ama P&M skillers one with 38 life other with 29, + a ravenfrost, i immediatly snapped the trade and under 5 mins later resold the skillers for 7 ist for the pair, Now i could see this assa was new, using spirit/lidless ect, told me he had no rune above pul, so i honestly think he just didnt know what the skillers were worth.

Now, should i have told him? that could have gotten him a whole new set of gear insted of a low shako but instead my greed took over when i saw a massive profit to be made, my friend and i were discussing this and he just said, if the assa didnt realise the value someone else would have just took them, im by no means rich, i have enigma/cta and 40ish ists thats my wealth, But i still couldnt turn down this trade.

So, in ure opinion what should i have done?

2. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

Re: Is this right or wrong?

everyone learns the hard way. he'll find out later he screwed up and if he's smart, will have learned his lesson. next time when it's about to go down, throw something else his way to allay your guilt.

3. Abakus

Abakus IncGamers Member

dude if u r as rich as i am u 'll probably give shakos to newbies for freee.....

4. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

I say you were wrong.

But, that's because my gut wouldn't feel right about it.

The fact that you had to post this thread to ask tells me you already feel what you did wasn't right.

5. boogyman19946

boogyman19946 IncGamers Member

40 Ists and you aren't rich o_O? What a paradox.

6. EpicDevia

EpicDevia IncGamers Member

seconded here.
    the funny thing is that i could stripe down the op yesterday, but i did not make so. just because we are the community and we must cover each other's back :nod:

regards,
    EpicDevia

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  7. sighoth

sighoth Banned

your right i do feel a little bad, but as i said, surely that guy would have just traded those charms for another bad item therefore, even if i didnt take the trade he still would end up learning the hard way.

8. DjSlayer

DjSlayer IncGamers Member

Dont feel bad about it, it was a good trade for you. And you actually managed to trade of some P/M skillers even tho they have life.

He's not rich, rich peps play with 40ish high runes each trade.

- D.J.

9. Zarniwoop

That's the kind of statement that makes my head hurt.

What if instead you had taken the opportunity to point him to the trade values thread and spent 5 minutes of your life giving him some basic guidance?

Too many people use the "someone else would have taken it if I hadn't" excuse. That's why there's a ton of miserable people out there. The fastest way to a clear conscience is listening to it.

10. DjSlayer

DjSlayer IncGamers Member

Stop condeming his actions, he did a nice trade when he turned a shako into seven ists, quite a decent trade from a-z.

You dont find such charms without grinding some thus i've got a suspicion about the "victim" lying through his teeth when he said he didnt have any runes higher than pul, might be correct, but still.
    P/M charms, even with life has no value for the amazon beyond leveling purpouses.

- D.J.

11. Zarniwoop

He asked for opinions. I gave mine.

12. Chromesto

Chromesto IncGamers Member

Basically I'll justify any trade by thinking "as long as both the seller and the buyer are happy with the result". However when someone who clearly is not aware of the value of his item(s) I find it too disturbing to take the too good to be truth offer. -> I'm a sucker that tells him that value even if I lose a sweet deal. Or at least I try to be. :smug:

More commonly I'll just try to buy items without paying too much and selling with prices that are not the lowest ones. (Like buying Guls with Ist+Um but selling them for Ist+Mal.) Might be greed or just common sence. After all we're all trying to gather more and more valuable items and it takes less hard work if we pay slightly less than slightly more. When it comes to Shako a trade like Shako vs Mal/Ist might be done by me (by thinking that maybe the other one is in a hurry and just wants one *really* fast) but more is definitely too much.

My point: I don't really like it when someone tries to rip someone off. It's almost like cheating except the other one doesn't notice that. I sure hope that I never get that greedy. I'd rather do about fair trades so I don't feel bad.

(Btw I don't like haggling and I'm damn happy that in Finland it is so rare. Trip to Egypt was nice and all but all the merchants really got into my nerves. :thumbsdown: How this relates to the topic? Somehow I guess.)

13. IntellectSucks

IntellectSucks IncGamers Member

The people saying he was wrong are maybe discounting the Sin's motives. Value is all relative, ESPECIALLY in D2. Sure, that guy COULD have turned those charms into all those Ists, but maybe he was really just more interested in getting a Shako RIGHT NOW and was willing to way overpay for it. If a shako was going to help his build, but the charms or their equivalent in runes weren't, then the shako was WAY more valuable to him than those two charms.

I think the person who posted earlier regarding the amount of time it would take to get those two charms was onto something. This guy sounds newbish like a fox....

14. sighoth

sighoth Banned

after reading all the replys, im still 50/50 on it lol. All i can say is he very blatently didnt know the charms worth, alltho he did need the shako, My argument is he could have gotten 20 shakos for what he traded, so theres no way in my mind that he knew what he was trading, for 1 ist u can get a shako in about 2 mins in any trade game, But saying that, i also need wealth as much as anyone, The whole reason we play this game is to build chars and have fun, the ists will contribute to my fun and i really dont think it will effect the sin the much, He seemed happy with the shako and maybe in time will come to realise value of items, I dont feel guilty alltho i do feel a sense of remorse, if i remeberd the dudes acc name id probly give him somthing i might not need but he would, Alltho that time has past.

15. ThunderCat

ThunderCat IncGamers Member

I used to play a game with real cash economy. About a year ago, this guy I knew accidentally traded a stranger an item worth well above 5000$. The guy that received that item was clearly poor and it would take quite a lot of work from his part to be able to afford such items. After the trade was complete, and the guy realized what was happening, without anyone asking him to, he traded the item back. He knew the value of the item, yet he decided to do the right thing and give it back, even though it could have bought him a car.
    So, I believe that one should always do the right thing if others make a mistake. Sure, someone else might have profited from their mistakes/lack of knowledge, but they should be lucky it was a person who prefers doing the right thing.
    My opinion on this matter is that you should have contacted him as soon as you realized the true value of those charms and give back at least some of those Ists.

16. BKC

BKC IncGamers Member

Please do feel guilty... ask yourself this question... do you correct the person behind the cash register when you do not get enough money back? (i do) but do you also correct that person when you get to much money back? (i do) if you do it in real life act up to it in your 2nd life aswell :)

17. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

"It is immoral to let a sucker keep his money." - Papa Wallenda

It's a dog-eat-dog world, game, whatever. The sooner you learn it, the better. It's each person's own responsibility to educate themselves about stuff. If they don't and end up losing value for it... Tough cookies, st00pid. :point::weep::grouphug::pancake:

Note: I've lost hundreds of dollars in Internet poker. I'm not complaining that my opponents didn't show me any nice moves or even recommend me some poker books.