Is this normal

Ogtob

Diabloii.Net Member
Is this normal

I have been playing for about 6 months now. I finally got a lamely built amazon through Hell baal with a bit of help after dying several times.

So far I have not found any of the higher level runes although I have run the countess, pindle, and WSK numerous time. Nor have I found a SOJ or all of the other stuff people talk about.

Am I doing something wrong or is it bad luck (I have between 150 and 200 MF in Hell)?

The only decent runeword I can make is insight. The thorns aura seems to make the decoy a good land mine. If my luck is normal then one would really need a robot doing runs constantly to get any amount of decent gear.

Surprisingly I still enjoy the game even though it is extremely frustrating.

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member
The issue is you can't kill bosses or areas fast enough. Build a sorc and start killing hell meph. Once you actually get some sort of gear you can start doing other runs. SoJ's and high runes are hard to come by (hence there are dupes), but most of the other stuff should be relatively easy to get, IF you can kill fast.

Flaming Banana

Diabloii.Net Member
most of the meaning to the game is taken away from that fact. o-o and yet its still quite fun...D:

its normal to me, but when i show someone my gear...
"omg lol ur lvl 76 and you hav that gear?!? LOLOLOL"

Noodle

It's normal to play for years without finding a single high rune . . now, trading for one on the Realms, that's a different matter, as the vast majority of high runes out there are duplicates of the very few that have ever been legitimately found. If you're comfortable cheating, start cubing up to and saving pefect gems to trade for low - mid runes. Eventually you'll get there.

Keep in mind, however, that the high end runewords are by no means necessary to enjoy the game and play effectively.

But to answer your original question - yeah, that's completely normal.

- Noodle

Ogtob

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the comments. I do have a couple of builds going on. I have a level 40 Multishot-Bowazon, A level 50 Furysin, and level 50 lighting sorc. Now I just have to take them through NM and Hell. Level 30 to almost level 50 is a piece of cake with Normal Baal runs. It just takes forever to get from there to Hell.

I have learned not to destroy Mephisto's soulstone until they are higher level. So at some point I will get a few more high runes (hopefully).

Evrae Altana

Diabloii.Net Member
Ogtob said:
I have learned not to destroy Mephisto's soulstone until they are higher level. So at some point I will get a few more high runes (hopefully).
Your character level does not matter in determining which runes you get from the Hellforge.

Are

Diabloii.Net Member
As for high runes: The Hellforge Quest in Hell difficulty is by far the fastest way to get the ones up to around Gul. For runes up to Ist, Hell Countess is very good, but she doesn't drop Ist more than once in almost 1000 runs (Mal is once in about 750 runs).

SoJ is pretty difficult to find; Hell Mephisto drops it once in about 7000 runs with 425 MF (which is what I have; somehow managed to get 2 in 2000 runs anyway, though, but that's pure luck).

Mursilis

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, you're normal. :grin:

High runes are very hard to find and some people who have been playing for 6 years haven't found many. An example is that on Bnet the highest rune I've found is a Mal and that was from a Hell Forge drop.

Don't fret too much about not having all of the ultra-rare items. Most of the guides do say you need to have this "leet" gear, but that's not really the case. You should be able to get by with Exceptional equipment for most builds, with maybe an Elite item or two thrown in. But having items like SOJ, 8 skiller GCs, high level runewords (BOTD, Enigma...etc) and so forth is not really necessary. They are nice and make things go faster, but not required to get through Hell difficulty.

masakerr

Diabloii.Net Member
I found 4 SOJ's this ladder all from Nightmare Countess. Don't know what to tell ya. Found an Ohm rune in Hell act II on a corpse next to the way point.

The stuff is out there.