Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by billyphil, Mar 22, 2004.

1. billyphil

billyphil IncGamers Member

Is this normal?

I am a level 78 meteorb sorc who has followed the guide exactly. Here is the deal: i am really bad in hell still . I do not have the best items there is to have (no tals armor or shako) but the rest of my gear is decent (i use mostly mf gear but still only have about 250%). My resists are all around +30 except light is max. Is a little bit better gear and 7 or so more levels (to be level 85) really going to make me all of a sudden start to whoop up? At the moment I can do meph runs pretty consistenly usually dying 1-3 times a run, sometimes none, sometimes 10 times. I tried to do pindle runs several times but it is rare if i can even get to him before dying and I have yet to kill him. So my question, will tals armor and shako and a few more levels really make a big difference and this is normal?

2. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

it depends what kills you. if its meph that kills you, you need more res. if its the dolls or other monsters, you may need more fcr or just a better technique for teleporting.

nm meph can drop good too if you think hell meph is slow.

3. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

How high is your life?
    Low life can be a very possible reason why you die. You should not die from Mephisto.

How high is your Faster Cast Rate?
    At least 64% FCR is required to teleport safely throughthe durance of hate lvl2!

Do you have a Merc for support?
    When battling Mephi a Merc is very useful. He will tank Mephisto (and possibly die when he is your lvl and survive at higher lvls) and you can beat Mephisto down.

Concerning your lvl. I would really lvlup to lvl85 since then you will have either max-block AND a decent amount of life or higher maxed life, depending on which path of the build you followed.

Your maxed Lightning Resists look good for Mephrunning.

4. abaddon

abaddon IncGamers Member

IMO the things that are really important for sorc @ 1.10:
    Good resists (better than yours), about 1K life, 63 FCR (faster cast rate), at least 70 % block and 30 - 42 % FHR (faster hit recovery)

Can you tell us what exactly kills you so we can help you more ...

5. kryo

kryo IncGamers Member

Actually I find meph much simpler to fight with my meteorb with no merc at all. I just tele down, park meph above/below the stairs (easier than moat IMO), and meteor away until he dies. Having the merc around, even with great equipment (tal helm/gaze, shaft/duriel, reaper's toll) he dies way too much to be useful; without him I can park meph and not worry about tanking at all.

6. billyphil

billyphil IncGamers Member

I think the problem is my health; I only have about 400 with my mf gear on and if I put ALL of my next 7 levels into vit I would only get 70 more life and I would no longer have max block, so I'm not going to do this. I don't understand how people can have max block and 1k life... (I went the max block route) I understand charms maybe but exactly what kind of charms? I have a couple large +25 health charms but what is the best health to inventory space ratio I can get? How many charms do people usually carry with them (I usually carry 1 MAYBE 2 with me at the moment)
    Question: what usually kills you?
    Answer: when doing meph runs it is usually one of his ice moves that kills me (usually in 1 shot) but this can be eliminated from better gear. The problem is the skeletons getting to pindle kill me in 1 hit (with their charge attack, not regular attack).

7. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

sc Vita charms: up to 20 life on those.
    get more of those charms, they are worth it! also the large ones you have.

1k life in my case i either get from Shako or Tal's set and something like 7 sc vita charms with 19-20 life. This helped alot. Although i must say that i am lvl91 now :p

Concerning that ball from Meph! YOU DONT WANT TO GET HIT BY IT! Its easy to dodge! Watch the pattern in which he releases that ball and time it with your attacks. That thing is deadly!

Concerning Pindle: Unless you have soem IMMENSE killingpower you will need a merc as your meatshield! He can take those hits from pindle minions and survive. You can't!

Once you have max-block put every remaining point into vit. always only put as many points into dex that you need to reach max-block (hoover over the defense display in the statsmenu to see you blocking rate).

I think this depends alot on your killing power. If you can kill Meph fast enough your Merc can survive and then its alot easier. Parking works nicely and if you have the proper resists/max-block/highlife you can also just stand right infront of him and take his meekly meleeattacks while you splatter Meph with Meteor/Fireball, whatever. I did this alot when i used Wizard Spike. There's mayn techniques which are successful in killing Mephisto.

8. raiderjb

raiderjb IncGamers Member

Hey

I think the guys pretty much covered meffi but with reguards Pindle.

Going back a while when i had pretty basic gear I simply entered the portal, immediately ran across graveyard to just inside the doorway and immediately fireballed the hell out of everyting in fornt of me. If you can get a meteor away v fast and switch all the better.

I found / find Pindle is fire imune about 1 in 10 runs so just quit those runs.

I now have a NM Holy Freeze merc and killing pindle is a piece of cake. But hey I remember getting my first ss off pindle at about your stage and I jumped for joy.

Oh another good tip if you wana run pindle with 'moderate' gear is to get a memory staff on your switch there dirt cheap and have some great mods for pindle including -25% enemy def from memeory - no pun intended -

But get yourself a good merc to make life more relaxing.

9. abaddon

abaddon IncGamers Member

So ... the sc of vita (20 life) are pretty good, but there are also large ones with up to 35 life - you can use these - which are more common then 20'ish ones.
    I am carrying almost all my charms with me (life, mana, resists, fhr, mf, anni) - when i find something i am putting it in my cube.
    Dont invest so many points in vita - its not worthy. (150 - 200 after items will do the job).
    Question - what shield u use ? If it is Lidless, Mosers or Viscerantua - try to change it with Gerkes Sanctuary (unique Pavise) untill you find a Stormshield - socket p diamand, Um rune or 15 all res/-15 req jewel (I know that 156 str req is high but it REALLY helps a lot).

My 90 lvl sorc: Shako (PTopaz), Tals ammy, armor (PTopaz) and belt, pair of Sojs, Magefists, War Travs, HOTO and Stormshield(UM); Occy(fire facet) and Rhyme Pavise on switch; Merc: Holly Frereze/Tals Mask/Duriels Shell/Reaper's Toll.
    I have 1,1 K life, 850 mana and about 400 mf when i am killing meph and believe me - i dont have problems with monsters at all and i am able to do solo Baal runs without dieing at all.

Good Luck with your sorc.

P.S I know my english is bad so excuse me .....

10. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Erm, you actually ran to him? How about that nifty little thing we have that's called teleport?

Ok, little off-topic, I know. To get on topic;

The sorceress gets a poor deal with Vita points. Only 2 life per Vita point is not very nice. This is why Vita charms are quite valuable for a sorceress. 1 small Vita charm can get you up to 10 stat points in Vita. This is 2 whole levels of stat points.

You'r better off putting those points in either strength or dexterity, because for those there are no nice charms. 2 or 3 dex or strength is max for a small charm I believe.

As for the resistances, get them up to max. I usually find some nice resistance charms that I keep for other chars. My level 95 char doesn't need them because she's wearing Tal's complete set, but I can think of some equipement that is less adequate in the resistance field. I even found a +18 life +10% lightning resistance small charm, which is actually quite valuable.