Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is this mod possible to make?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by helvete, Jun 23, 2005.

1. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Is this mod possible to make?

Being fond of teleporting around Lower Kurast, and planning to make a character for the sole purpose of killing hell cows at players 8 setting, I'm wondering if it is possible to make a mod that does these things:

- When pressing the show items key, do NOT show gold, arrows, bolts, potions (including the throwing ones), scrolls or keys.

- Still includes the ladder only and battle.net only rune words.

I'd like such a feature because the screen can't show all the items on the ground when they are too many around, and this forces me to pick up gold (which can be useful) or even pick up TP scrolls and potions and use them all (which isn't useful).

Many times I have been thinking "What if there is a high rune lying on the ground just now, and I can't see it due to gold and junk items covering the whole place?"

I know RTB has made a mod that turns the text displayed for runes red, so that they are faster to spot IF you can see the text displayed in the first place. I wouldn't mind runes showing up red, but I would STILL have to pick up stamina potions and TP scrolls and use them just to get rid of them to be able to see even red runes.

BTW, @RTB - I really love the "add battle.net runewords to us single players" mod. IMHO it's only fair that single players get the same benefits as ladder players, as we don't got 8-player parties to leech our mules to hell hellforge.

2. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

It would be much easier to fiddle the TCs so that the item you don't like aren't dropped at all. If you replace the stuff you remove with no-drop you won't affect the rarity of other things.

As far as I know the item display code just traverses a linked list; getting it to selectively skip things is going to take code editting of quite some sophistication.

You could also probably make certain items tags appear transparent, but then you would not see more other items, just not be distracted by the unwanted ones (ie instead of 28 potions and 4 good items, you'd see only the 4 good items, not 32 good items).

3. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

I'm too console-oriented

Adding bit-flag value to item types/qualities/etc, such as 'alt_visibility', would allow you to set a console-style variable to skip the items you don't want displayed. Single-player forum is most likely the best place for something like this.

4. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

I didn't actually make that one myself, although it's easy to do, just added it to the mods because people asked for that.

Just remember that it's not exactly the same as the runewords on bnet.

Ax2Grind: Adding stuff like that is hard, if not impossible. The Phrozenkeep is where you'll want to ask questions like this.

5. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Really?

I should think you could add it to all items, then - if the item quality was granted a specific status - it would naturally add to the bit flag. IOW, if the quality became unique then 256 would be added to the alt_visibility variable.

If it is hard then why? Is it the programming language they chose or the way they wrote it? If the latter that should be extremely frustrating to add better support, more features and fix bugs. Wait a minute...

6. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

The fact that the source isn't public. From what I remember (it's been a long time since I've visited the Keep tho) noone has tried this before.

7. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Does this Phrozenkeep thing have a web address? Google or just trying www.phrozenkeep.[com|net|org] doesn't really return anything useful...

8. SharnMes

SharnMes IncGamers Member

You could of course always try a decompiler/compiler :D

See you in 10 years or something...

Edit : BTW RTB can I have a link to your ladder runeword mod? The mod I downloaded believing it was yours apparantly doesnt work... I added the -direct -txt to the command line and created the directories (data\global\excel) but no luck :( I would really appreciate this :clap:

9. Litpho

Litpho IncGamers Member

10. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Disassembling is also possible, and the people at the Keep have been doing that for a long time now.

Clicky.

11. SharnMes

SharnMes IncGamers Member

:D

From the description in the text file I can see whats wrong :thumbsup:

Thank!

12. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

How exactly is it not exactly the same?

@ Thrugg, well, could ofcourse do that, but then you'd have to shop any and all potions...

13. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Because I do not know the exact stats for each runeword.

SharnMes: That's why I put it there. Glad it helped.

14. Sumendar

Sumendar IncGamers Member

Hmm, would it be possible to replace the names for the items you don't want to see with empty strings in strings.tbl? Note that this might lead to item invisibility problems if there's a lot of junk on the ground, the game has limits on how many itemnames it will show at a time.

edit: nevermind, seems that Thrugg already pointed this one out :)