Is there anything you don't like about the D4 early intial demo?

In the name of Zod

Diabloii.Net Member
There are certainly a lot of things to like about what we saw so far. Like the synergistic rune system. The use of PBR and the homage to D2 classes. These things sell and it's awesome to finally see PBR in action in a game that is worth buying. However, what about the things that clearly made streamers and viewers go suspiciously silent. There has to be the best and worst of the demo that you saw. I would really like to know what it was because I know for myself what impressed me the most and least.

I am not saying this to attack D4, moreover its an exploration of what you would like to see improved upon say in the expansions because you feel that they won't do it in the base game. For me, its the skill tree. It looked static but I don't think it would be that hard for them to either beef it up or make it more dynamic. I certainly noticed streamers lacklustre interest in it. Thoughts?

Wirt

Diabloii.Net Member
I have fears the gameplay will end up rushing through endless groups of monsters like in D3. Where you just keep clicking your buttons without any sense of danger and no need for strategy. Mindless clicking and a screen full of bright lights where you do not even see half of what what is going on.

The game should be much slower then D3. The feeling of horror comes from your mind in moments of pause with something unknown but probably dangerous lies ahead. I really want to be edgy when I open a door or round a corner, knowing that behind it might be something that is too strong for me. I want every fight to count and to feel relief when I win.
I want tot have to run for my life from an encounter, coming back later when I am stronger. I want to feel that progress of my character.

Ariadne

Diabloii.Net Member
I've only watched the trailer.
I never understood complaints about "D3 is too colourfull" and found the first look of D4 too grim, something I never felt with D2. Not much of a gamer, I never liked "loads of blood" as one description did, never have a need for gore.

I was deliberately late for D3 (only started last year) and am enjoying it for now but Wirt has a point with the rushing thing. I know it's different for everyone - some people enjoy racing through the game trying to get all the crazy achievements - but I'm surely not the only one who likes a slow pace and actually looking at things, caring about the story.

So I wonder about Leah's fate. I wonder about the followers, who all had excellent side stories. I wonder about voicing - D3 had good voices but some with annoying (fake sounding) accents.

Ultimatium

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, theres a couple of things, such as the loot system. It seems like they are trying fix something that isnt broken. So, instead of completely changing how the loot system works, they should stick to what already works, which is a loot system with normal, magic, rare, set and unique items. Also, on top of that, they should add more uniques and set items from diablo 2. As for the skill system, i would say that its completely unecessary to implement talents that gives you two percent more damage with a cold spell and things like that. Its not going to add anything to character progression, its just going to be pointless nitpicking. As for the gameplay, it still looks a lot like diablo 3.

Last edited:

sbn

Diabloii.Net Member
I actually thought D3's in game limit of 4 people was a step in the wrong direction. They should have given player a choice to join a single, or games with different max limits. Let me decide if I want to be in a game of 2, 5, even 8. I think with D3, they overloaded the special effects and had to limit the total number of in game players as a result.

However I did see one of the streamers mention something about up to 100 players for something. Umm...no. Problem with these games; it is such a hit or miss whether you get a decent group of random people, more often it is a complete miss. I have some great memories of random players working together and having a great time. But also a lot of aggravating experiences. When it came to D3, I barely ever had any interaction with any other players. For all the work Blizzard tried, they seemed to have made D3 be even more anti-social.

For me, I would like to see where private groups, clans, etc.. could create games/worlds where only their members could join.

Wirt

Diabloii.Net Member
I did see one of the streamers mention something about up to 100 players for something.
I think that may be in the open world which is not in your party, and the world is huge.

Wirt

Diabloii.Net Member
As somebody mentioned on this forum: the idea of finding better versions of the same unique with higher level sucks imo.
That way only max level items matter.

gdkenny

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm not concerned about the loot system and gameplay mechanics because they said they learned from their previous mistakes, and i believe them.
What worries me is the graphics. I'm not talking about the darker theme here, but the overall graphics quality. They said it's a new engine, but apart from more detailed environements and some spell animation (hydra looks great!) i can't really feel a gap with D3, which bug me considering it was released 7 years ago.
Like, ragdoll system looks identical, with more environment interaction
I'll probably play D4 for years, so i'd love to be blown away. Hopefully it'll look better at more than 1080p
I hope the multi-plateform didn't put the breaks on graphics improvements

Last edited:

sbn

Diabloii.Net Member
What worries me is the graphics. I'm not talking about the darker theme here, but the overall graphics quality. They said it's a new engine, but apart from more detailed environements and some spell animation (hydra looks great!) i can't really feel a gap with D3, which bug me considering it was released 7 years ago.
You make a very good point. I was watching a video of the next release of Microsoft's Flight Simulator, and how they are literally creating an entire virtual earth using satellite imaging to render the environment. The D4 gameplay does seem somewhat like a toned down D3 gameplay, at least in terms of graphics quality. This may be at best "OK" for 2019, but I think by time this gets released it will be/could be outdated soon after.

Stunningham

Diabloii.Net Member
I have fears the gameplay will end up rushing through endless groups of monsters like in D3. Where you just keep clicking your buttons without any sense of danger and no need for strategy. Mindless clicking and a screen full of bright lights where you do not even see half of what what is going on.

The game should be much slower then D3. The feeling of horror comes from your mind in moments of pause with something unknown but probably dangerous lies ahead. I really want to be edgy when I open a door or round a corner, knowing that behind it might be something that is too strong for me. I want every fight to count and to feel relief when I win.
I want tot have to run for my life from an encounter, coming back later when I am stronger. I want to feel that progress of my character.
I agree. D3 was wayyyy too busy. Maybe I’m just getting older ha

Stunningham

Diabloii.Net Member

I agree. D3 was wayyyy too busy. Maybe I’m just getting older ha

mouseman

Diabloii.Net Member
The way I see it trading and cheating have been the bane of all Diablo games. I hope they finally manage to get it right but everything will be an improvement upon the real money auction house with millions of bots of Diablo 3.

Ultimatium

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm not concerned about the loot system and gameplay mechanics because they said they learned from their previous mistakes, and i believe them.
Well, im not really sure why you would worry more about the graphics than the loot system or the gameplay mechanics, since these are core parts of the diablo experience that we all love so much. If i had to look back at all my years playing diablo, i never, ever played it because of the graphics. I always played it because of the loot system and the gameplay. If graphics were my main concern, i wouldnt be playing diablo 2 so many years later.

Last edited:

gdkenny

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, im not really sure why you would worry more about the graphics than the loot system or the gameplay mechanics, since these are core parts of the diablo experience that we all love so much. If i had to look back at all my years playing diablo, i never, ever played it because of the graphics. I always played it because of the loot system and the gameplay. If graphics were my main concern, i wouldnt be playing diablo 2 so many years later.
Well, simply because the loot system or the gameplay mechanics are made to be tweaked by design, as they know they can't make everyone happy on the first try. Moreover, if the community is really unhappy, we could have more drastic changes, like they did for loot 2.0 in D3.
Because like you said, this is what draws the players in. So tweak after tweak, the community should grow happier and happier.

Regarding the graphics, the engine we will have on day one will stay as is features-wise.
Not a deal-breaker for me, but i would have loved to be blown away the first time i saw D4 gameplay.

Last edited:

Wirt

Diabloii.Net Member
MrLlamaSC absolutely nails it. He's got a great tone to the way he goes through all the things that were really good and not so good. I thought I would post it up here because it just seemed so fitting for this topic. Enjoy.
Thanks! Great info for everyone. He gives some great insights that as far I can see I really agree with, especially about the items.
He made me realize another reason why I don't like D3 very much. It is because they screwed the items in multiple ways compared to D2.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, simply because the loot system or the gameplay mechanics are made to be tweaked by design, as they know they can't make everyone happy on the first try. Moreover, if the community is really unhappy, we could have more drastic changes, like they did for loot 2.0 in D3.
Because like you said, this is what draws the players in. So tweak after tweak, the community should grow happier and happier.

Regarding the graphics, the engine we will have on day one will stay as is features-wise.
Not a deal-breaker for me, but i would have loved to be blown away the first time i saw D4 gameplay.
I don't agree. I've always been someone who thinks gameplay > graphics. But particularly, in terms of loot system and gameplay mechanics: if it's broken at it's core, you can do all the tweaking you want, but you won't get it straight. That's exactly what happened with D3. With the expansion and the large pre-expansion patch they did a terrific job getting it as good as possible. But even then the core problems of the game, the loot system and the lack of proper gameplay, stayed. Don't get me wrong: I think that D3 is still a good game, and it's fun to play for a while every now and then. But nothing more than that.

softshack

Diabloii.Net Member
I agree with MrLlamaSC. In fact, I found myself agreeing with everything he said in his video. I think he really understands what made DII great, at least, it resonates with what I really like about DII.

In the name of Zod

Diabloii.Net Member
I agree with MrLlamaSC. In fact, I found myself agreeing with everything he said in his video. I think he really understands what made DII great, at least, it resonates with what I really like about DII.
Yea, about the only thing I have found myself disagreeing with him on, was respec's. He said it would be ok with a decent penalty like xp, I don't think respec's belong in the game in any form period.

This vid below is more extensive, I am about 1/3 of the way through it. Many good points mentioned in it. Looong!

Last edited: