Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is there an anti smiter?

Discussion in 'PvP' started by fledgeling, Jul 31, 2011.

1. elationtheory

elationtheory IncGamers Member

Re: Is there an anti smiter?

this.

to be fair, any viable pvp char has some form of counter to smiters. notice i said 'viable'. which automatically eliminates almost every sorc bar those es/mb/max dr ones.

2. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

i beat smiters rather easily with my boner. for extra fun i put 1 into skeletons for BM ers. 7 skeletons + a full power boner makes smiters cry.
    also what i like to do is prison+decrepify combo it confuses the hell out of most smiters.
    a bvc with dual dooms shuts down any smiter, although then the AR becomes a problem.
    although from what i've seen most pub joderdins never really want to play legit and can't take a loss. usually if you get the upper hand and get them below 60% they run to town or even chicken out. just ignore the sore loser.

3. Furocious

Furocious IncGamers Member

Clay golem + decrep = pretty easy to beat them, if it's no-holds-barred.

4. elationtheory

of course bm-ing makes things pretty easy. chugging full juvs also makes any duel easy. what's your point?

if you need to decrep/ wield dooms vs a smiter, either:

a) you gear sucks and you have no place in pvp
    b) your connection lags
    c) your brain lags

not to mention bone necs by themselves already have a massive advantage over smiters. bvcs as well, but to a lesser extent.

if you need even more crutches to the extent that you need to bm in order to take on a gm smiter with your bone nec, i suggest you delete your chars, uninstall d2, break the discs, and go play something with a gentler learning curve, like pokemon yellow, for example.

5. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Oh come on, whats with the elitism.. its not like D2 is some crazy hard pvp game in the first place. might as well have some fun while dueling.

6. Leohappy

decrepify isn't really bm. and every char has a weakness.

7. skullvomit

skullvomit IncGamers Member

Oh my! Now here's a great motivation to gear up the Necro. The in game chat would be :cloud9:

8. elationtheory

how is it fun when you're refusing to play fair? i don't quite think it's fun for the smiter when you're casting decrep, or the barb when you're casting iron maiden, or the hammerdin when you decide to mass minions.

yeah decrep isn't explicitly mentioned in the gm rules, at least for us west. but it's a pretty dick move. if you decrep my smiter, trust me, the next duel, i'll run you out of 16 mana pots and camp at the mana pool.

of course every char has a weakness. but in the priv pks i play, we don't grab our sins every time a druid wants to duel, or a es sorc every time a nec wants to duel, or a zon every time a hammerdin wants to duel.

cos that's just stupid.

the whole point of arbitrary gm pvp ruling is to ensure there is SOME degree of fairness in every matchup.

9. Leohappy

hopefully your so called gm rules also prohibit exile and dracs on smiters. because life tap is a major PITA. decrepify is childs toys compared to other bm things. personally i rarely use it because it's often a waste of time, when i could have been spearing/spiriting. but along with 7 crap skeletons it's a nice toolkit to have.
    i have to admit that psychologically amp works far better in duels and you can fool many players by casting it, even if it holds no purpose. i have seen many assa instinctively switch to fade when i amp them, or palas use that aura they have for curses duration cuts.

10. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

^^ definitely this, quite humiliating.

11. elationtheory

they're not 'my' so called gm rules. i didn't make the rules up. i have no idea who came up with the rules, but they've been around since the start of 1.12 at least. i simply follow them because they seem fair.

and yes, lifetap is banned in gm pvp on west (we use the same gm ruling as east), which is where i am. on euro, anything seems to go, though.

12. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Thats the point. Diablo is mostly a game of comparitive advantage. So to win, you take advantage of the conditions that are present in the situation. And if you dont, you lose. So its a no brainer to use what is the best in the situation

13. elationtheory

so according to this logic, it's perfectly ok to shrine and juv. since they are conditions that are present in the situation.

or if you SOMEHOW had gmod/tmc/auto-tp installed on your computer, it is fine to use them in duels. because it is an advantage, and it is at your disposal, therefore conditions that are present in the situation.

or how about trading?

if i manage to get my hands on some unperm items, is it fine for me to trade them to some clueless rand for currency or gg legit items? after all, i am simply taking advantage of the conditions present in the situation, namely him being clueless.

to use the same logic, most games and sports are also about comparative advantages.

once again, according to this logic, it is therefore perfectly fine to break the kneecaps of the star striker in your opponent's football team in the locker room. because that would mean he can't play the match, which gives your team a huge advantage. which would be the best, if not one of the best advantages to have.

after all, the bat you found, and him being alone in the locker room are conditions that are present in the situation.

14. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Of course, advantage is subjective. It is the truism of action axiom, of preference - you act according to what you think is best in the situation you are in. A state of affairs counter to this is absurd, unimaginable

15. elationtheory

unfortunately for you, the 'state of affairs counter to this' is not absurd, nor is it unimaginable.

it is actually, what our world is like.

because wiser men than you and i have come to the consensus, together with solid argument, that a semblance of order, as well as a state of affairs that gravitate towards fairness, is the most viable, efficient, and progressive form.

which is why there are laws, a form of arbitrary form of jurisdiction by man, over man, to prevent unfair detriment. and people gravitate towards abiding by them, because anyone with an iota of intelligence would realize that if they choose to reject the rules, they put themselves at odds with the rest of society, which even people with an iq barely above room temperature, would know is self-detrimental, and therefore does not justify the original action, because in the long run, you gain no advantage, but rather get badly disadvantaged.

to be able to do what we want to do, when we want to do it, would make us no different from animals.

which is why there are gm rulings in d2 as well.

a scenario where you bm with a nec resulting in 4 out of the remaining 7 players in the game to party/switch to druidor es sorcs/juv/shrine results in only one thing: your loss. since the entire objective of bm-ing is to win unfairly, keyword being 'win', the entire exercise is self-defeating because it achieves the opposite effect.

this is the problem with faux intellectualism. you try to over-think a certain small concept to the extent that you miss the entire forest for the want of a tree. of course everyone acts according to what you think is best in the situation you are in to a certain extent. but because most people with sufficient intelligence already thoroughly understand the above mentioned concept, they are more concerned with acting according to what they think is best in the situation they are in, while keeping within the confines of the law.

this is why nadal does not walk over to his opponent's side of the court and knee him in the groin whenever he loses a point. this is why soccer players, bar the goalie and maradona, do not use their hands in soccer matches. this is why boxers do not load their gloves with plaster.

yes, they may win for that instant, when nadal's opponent is rolling on the ground cradling his balls, when maradona's goal was allowed, when margarito managed to beat cotto. but after that, nadal will find out that a thousand people want to knee him in his balls, maradona becomes infamous and scorned, and margarito gets screwed over by the ruling body and banned.

to tie in once again with d2, bming only means that either:
    a) you win, and you gain little to no satisfaction, knowing it's because you bm-ed
    b) you lose, and you feel like a loser because you lost despite bm-ing.

in the long run, it will lead to:
    a) no one will want to duel you gm anymore, which means you never even get a chance to win, completely defeating the entire purpose of bm-ing
    b) people will just bm you back. and when it's 7 bm-ing people against 1 bm-ing person, the single person loses. which coupled with a) means bm-ing achieves absolutely jack-****e.

that is something that i doubt ever crossed your mind, considering the basic, fallible stance you just adopted.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  16. arbing

arbing IncGamers Member

Who decide the rules of what skills is gm and what's bm? And also who decide in what situations are those skills considered okay whereas in other situations that same skill is considered bm?

In some people's eyes, even smite, grief and any poison damage is bm. IMO. I think the character's skills are there for people to use it if they want. That's how it goes, some character just simply have an edge (or a BIG edge) naturally over another.

17. Leohappy

you can't dismiss the fact that smiters tend to be the most bm ,and noob abused chars on bnet in pub duels. as soon a smiter hostiles me ,i instantly assume they are going to bm with stack res or sorbing. very few smiters actually try to outskill you nowadays.they put on kiras/ ravens/nokozan/hotspurs/tgods/wisps,beat you and call you a noob. guess what happens next? i bring a necro, school them and fool around them with decrep then they call me a noob again or just chicken out when they take too much dmg. yawn. boring.

18. elationtheory

the rules have been decided since the start of 1.11 and have been acknowledged to be mostly fair.

i am not bothered by what 'some other people' think is bm. in the priv pks i play in, we follow the widely recognized gm rules.

saying things like the char's skills are there for people to use if they want, is the equivalent of saying there's nothing wrong with a man forcing himself on your sister because he's physically stronger than she is.

19. elationtheory

as far as gm ruling is concerned, all of the items you mentioned are gm other than hotspurs, and the usage of tgods and wisp together. if you can't handle res stacking + 1 item of sorb, don't play a sorc. bottom line: you're the one who was forced to switch char to a bm nec vs a gm smiter. i wonder what would you do if he decided to switch to a gm wind druid to duel your nec. switch to a sin? trolololol.

and btw, res stacking is gm as long as no 100+res shields are used. sorbing is gm if only one sorb item is used. with exceptions like dual ravens on bvcs, and spurs on necs.

please read the gm dueling rules. this forum even has a copy of it:

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686952

if you're only interested in, or have only been playing in pub games, the gm rules don't apply though. the rules are meant for duelers who can actually pvp, not random pub rats.

20. Leohappy

if the smiter is taking no damage at all from my sorc, i gladly piss on those so called 'gm' rules. i'm not going to make a 17900 dmg blizz sorc with lvl 50 cold mastery just to be able to hurt those noobs.
    and you say i brought in a bm necro vs. a gm smiter but in a previous post you said decrepify wasn't bm by the rules. it's clear to me your opinion is biased towards the noob smiters that plague the realms nowadays.