Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is there a reason why my computer can't stream audio anymore? der=

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by [exile], Oct 10, 2006.

1. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

Is there a reason why my computer can't stream audio anymore?

Well, I used to be able to stream audio. Now pretty much none of it works. For example, on YouTube, I can see the video but I don't hear anything. On the Hype Machine (a blog music aggegator), I used to be able to stream all the songs that I searched, but now it doesn't work anymore.

Anybody have any idea why this might be happening? If you need my comp specs (I don't see why you would) I can post them.

2. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

does it work for games?
    if not check your volumes
    double click on the speaker in the tray, turn up wave/mp3 and main
    are your speakers plugged in the correct jack?

or it could be missing audio codecs, normally windows media player downloads any missing ones for you

3. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

All my volumes are on max, my speakers are plugged in fine (I can listen to files from my computer but nothing streamed).

I don't think it's codecs, that would mainly affect WMP, I would expect. WMP plays files fine when it's reading from a file on my computer already. It's only streamed audio that isn't working right now. The thing is, everything used to work fine until a few weeks ago when streamed audio went wonky.

4. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

5. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

Did all of that but still no luck. =/

It doesn't work on either Firefox or IE.

6. rare

rare IncGamers Member

you can try to think of anything that you installed/uninstalled/reinstalled that may have caused this.

you can also try system restore on win xp

edit: try reinstalling ie and/or firefox. Or download opera so you can either narrow it down to a browser issue, or it may fail under opera too. So then you can concentrate on the answer being somewhere else.

7. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

try restarting your computer. a lot of my sound problems are resolved by that.

8. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

This is a recurring problem for the past few weeks, mhl :tongue:

I've been trying to think of what I've installed but it took me so long to realize that it was a recurring problem that I can't remember that far back anymore. I'll try the Opera trick tomorrow and I'll see how that goes.

As a side note, the problem isn't that the audio isn't making noise, it's that it's completely not being loaded to begin with. I can tell because I listen to Pandora and the little blue "location" bar in the song isn't going anywhere. Meaning the entire song just isn't playing, it's not that I can't hear it.

So yeah, Opera to be downloaded tomorrow. Thanks!

9. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

it might be a driver problem

10. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

There is no way for your computer to tell that a file is sound until it is processed, ok well there are ways. . .but that isn't it.

Try updating to IE7, I think the RC is out now. If it still fails then try downloading the file(there are apps to do that) and see if it runs then. That way we know it isn't codecs.

If that still fails then I dunno right now, my head hurts from physics.

11. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

That's weird. I'd suggest you need a Quicktime plugin, but if YouTube doesn't work either then I'm stumped.

12. rare

rare IncGamers Member

no problem

2 more possible really really farfetched ideas are if your antivirus automatically updates itself it MAY somehow be interfering with streaming stuff online (it may see it as "dangerous")

another one would be if you usually use firefox, one of your extensions may be interfering with this. try to disable them all perhaps.

but dl'ing opera will definitely let you know if its a browser issue or not.

13. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

I installed Opera and it still didn't work. I'm currently downloading IE7, not really because I think it'll be any better, but just to have it :smiley:.

I also checked for sound card driver updates, and there was nothing critical, just some stupid compatibility issue with one specific company's products, which doesn't affect me.

However the AntiVirus suggestion seems about right, maybe. About a couple of months ago, my 3-month free subscription to Norton Internet Security expired, so I had my dad install Symantec AntiVirus on my system, and it's currently running with automatic updates. It's worth a shot. I glanced around quickly, but I'm not sure exactly what I should be disabling. Didn't want to do something stupid without asking first - what should I disable?

Thanks!

EDIT: Yeah, IE7 isn't working with it either.

EDIT 2: I figured I should post a bit about my AntiVirus. It's Symantec AntiVirus 9. The only configuratino options are under the categories:

- File System Auto-Protect
    - Internet E-mail Auto-Protect
    - Lotus Notes Auto-Protect
    - Microsoft Exchange Auto-Protect

At the moment, all 4 are enabled. I would assume it to be part of the Internet E-mail one, but I don't know if it's safe to competely disable the entire thing.

14. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Try turning off all antivirus software, firewalls and whatever, see if it makes a difference. Otherwise the only thing I can suggest is a complete format and reinstall...

15. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

do other sounds work? i.e. mp3 files, videos, windows startup music?

16. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

All other sounds that are completely downloaded work fine. Whether they be saved onto my hard drive before I run them, or whether I download them in my browser (ie. using QuickTime to load mp3 files in my browser) as temporary files, they work fine. It's just completely streamed audio that doesn't work.

Oddly though, anything using WMP to stream works fine. For example, Sympatico/MSN videos work fine when WMP is loaded as an ActiveX thing in my browser; and opting to "Open With" rather than "Save As" with certain movie files using WMP will work fine. I eman the type of thing that says "Buffering" before it runs.

Any other player will not work with streams, including YouTube, The Hype Machine, Pandora, etc.

17. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

hm.. that's really odd. It's possible that some of your comp security may be blocking it. I would uninstall Norton first b/c your subscription has expired and Norton is really a piece of crap.

If you want a good antivirus, I would suggest a free one such as AVG or Avast. They are both free and a lot better than Norton.

Do you have any other security software on your computer? firewall.. antispyware.. bitdefender?

Try disabling those and see what happens.

18. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

Well I'm not paying for Norton either ^^

I think my dad would kick me in the face if I uninstalled Norton though, heh.

I have ZoneAlarm firewall and SpyBot antispyware, but these were a couple of the first things I installed on my computer, long before I had audio problems.

I suspect Norton is the problem, I'm trying to find a way to temporarily disable it to test it out. Is the "Unload Service" the correct one or is that going to disable the thing for good?

19. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

which version do you have? It's different for each one. All you have to do is right click on the icon in your system bar and stop all services.

note that norton is a lot of times stubborn so even if you stop it, it may be still running in the background.

20. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

Symantec Antivirus 9. I think the toolbar option only disables hard drive file protection. I tried disabling all 4 options that I listed before but no luck.

I quickly Googled Unload and I think it means uninstall, which I don't quite want at the moment.