Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is there a min resist on monsters?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Kyrandia, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Kyrandia

Kyrandia IncGamers Member

Is there a min resist on monsters?

If this has been asked before, I apologise. I couldn't find it by searching.

My question.
    The sorc skill Cold Mastery lowers the resist on monsters. I know it can make their resist negative, but I was wondering if there was a limit, e.g. -100%.

The reason I ask is because I am trying to get high FO damage without wasting skill points. Every point into FO gives +15 dam, which is about 5% damage increase around skill level=20 (~300 dam). Obviously, the relative damage increase gets lower with each skill point. However, each point in Cold Mastery effectively raises the damage by 5%, regardless the skill level.

So I think by the time you have FO at 20, it's better to invest points in CM instead of FO. But this is only true if lower resist isn't capped by something.

Does anyone know this?

2. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

Since there are very few monsters with less than zero cold resistance I'd say getting Cold Mastery to -100% is always worth it, even if there is a -100% cap on it. This is especially true in Hell difficulty, because maxed Frozen Orb and high Cold Mastery are pretty much essential to make an impression on the monsters there.

3. cryist

cryist IncGamers Member

Check out the MEterorb guid by sasja's , he gives a real good explaination about FO and CM for a sorc..

4. Kyrandia

Kyrandia IncGamers Member

Thanks for the answers :)

@factotum: good point but I already have it at -100%, yet I am thinking about going -150% or really as far as it can go

@cryist: ok, will check it out

5. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

As far as I know, there is a hard cap on reducing a monster's resists at 150% (per source of reduction) and there is a hard cap to negative resistances of 100%. So no skill will ever reduce a monsters resistance by more than 150% (you can pump with +skills all you like after a skill reaches the -150%, it won't change a thing), and a monster will not drop under -100% resist. For Cold Mastery I'd aim for -100% enemy resist since that will have it's maximum effect on any monster that is not immune. For Conviction and Lower Resist more than 100% has effect, since it also influences immune monsters. However, if you have spare points, getting CM to -150% enemy resistance is not a bad thing at all...on monsters with 50% cold resist or less you'll be dealing double damage, instead of only dealing double damage to monsters with 0% cold resist. There is a definitive advantage.