Is the Matrix possible?

stoutewolf

Diabloii.Net Member
Is the Matrix possible?

Is it possible that the world is controlled by robots and we are living in a virtual reality?
 

bladesyz

Diabloii.Net Member
stoutewolf said:
Is it possible that the world is controlled by robots and we are living in a virtual reality?
How do you know the robots aren't just programs who "think" they're controlling the world and enslaving humans, when in reality, they're just running a simulation in a mainframe computer?
 

Baynson

Diabloii.Net Member
bladesyz said:
How do you know the robots aren't just programs who "think" they're controlling the world and enslaving humans, when in reality, they're just running a simulation in a mainframe computer?
I believe is go's something like "I think, therefore I am" which would mean their really alive and were not.
 

thegiantturtle

Diabloii.Net Member
stoutewolf said:
But how do you know it isnt possible?
I think you're lost. Knowing whether or not the matrix exists is just like knowing whether or not the invisible unicorn has pink or purple polka dots and lime green or electric green spots. There's no way to tell. Yes, it could happen. No, it's not an interesting question.
 

LunarSolaris

Diabloii.Net Member
It's not feasible to be a reality.

Honestly, if robots had taken over the world, they wouldn't be using humans as a "battery" - they would be harnessing nuclear power and developing other energy sources - which is far more efficient than trying to maintain bio organic matter as a power source... let alone trying to control the complexities of the human mind in a pre-set simulation.
 

MadMachine

Diabloii.Net Member
thegiantturtle said:
I think you're lost. Knowing whether or not the matrix exists is just like knowing whether or not the invisible unicorn has pink or purple polka dots and lime green or electric green spots. There's no way to tell. Yes, it could happen. No, it's not an interesting question.
Agreed. It's about as interesting as string theory.

You can't prove it or disprove it because there's no evidence.
 

Gorny

Banned
stoutewolf said:
Is it possible that the world is controlled by robots and we are living in a virtual reality?
01011001 01100101 01110011 00101100 00100000 01001001 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110101 01101100 01100100 00100000 01110011 01100001 01111001 00100000 01101001 01110100 00100000 01101001 01110100 00100000 01110000 01101111 01110011 01110011 01101001 01100010 01101100 01100101 00101110 00001101 00001010 00001101 00001010 00001101 00001010 01001001 01110100 00100000 01100001 01101100 01110011 01101111 00100000 01100010 01110010 01101001 01101110 01100111 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01101101 01101111 01110110 01101001 01100101 00100000 00100010 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01001001 01110011 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100100 00100010 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01101101 01101001 01101110 01100100 00001101 00001010
 

Ce Olba

Banned
Gorny said:
01011001 01100101 01110011 00101100 00100000 01001001 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110101 01101100 01100100 00100000 01110011 01100001 01111001 00100000 01101001 01110100 00100000 01101001 01110100 00100000 01110000 01101111 01110011 01110011 01101001 01100010 01101100 01100101 00101110 00001101 00001010 00001101 00001010 00001101 00001010 01001001 01110100 00100000 01100001 01101100 01110011 01101111 00100000 01100010 01110010 01101001 01101110 01100111 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01101101 01101111 01110110 01101001 01100101 00100000 00100010 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01001001 01110011 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100100 00100010 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01101101 01101001 01101110 01100100 00001101 00001010
Binary, huh?

As for the actual question: No.

Why?: Right now, the computer is fast but stupid. If it was wise and fast, it could be possible, as it would evolve over the humans. However, making such machines is way out of the capacity of humans, so it's impossible. Also, you cannot possibly create something wiser than yourself, it's simply impossible.

If the computer was wise, it would think for itself and start re-producing and spreading. As it would be faster than human's brains and as wise, it would be superior to humans (as it could count all the possibilities of things and formulaes and such in an instant), and that would make us live in a matrix like world.

Good that it's not wise and fast.

I believe is go's something like "I think, therefore I am" which would mean their really alive and were not.
Just to clarify, a computer does not think of the things it does. It just does them. Thus your sentence "I think, therefore I am", which IIRC was a sentence by Einstein, is not a sentence for computers.

How do you know the robots aren't just programs who "think" they're controlling the world and enslaving humans, when in reality, they're just running a simulation in a mainframe computer?
Simple: You're "awaken" to the "real world" in Matrix. You're "re-born" there, and your physical status is based on the one in the program. You do not "live" a life in the "real world", except for some people (like Tank), but you're "born" as an adult. And how is this done? You live a normal life in the program and the genes and looks you gain there are transferred to the "real" you.

I've thought about it quite a bit. If it was possible to create something that is both faster and wiser than the wisest of human, we would be ruled by computers, not like it is now.
 

thegiantturtle

Diabloii.Net Member
Ce Olba said:
As for the actual question: No.

Why?: Right now, the computer is fast but stupid. If it was wise and fast, it could be possible, as it would evolve over the humans. However, making such machines is way out of the capacity of humans, so it's impossible. Also, you cannot possibly create something wiser than yourself, it's simply impossible.
Why is it impossible to create something wiser than yourself? We can create machines that are better at Chess than the best of us, so why is it impossible to branch out?

Ce Olba said:
If the computer was wise, it would think for itself and start re-producing and spreading. As it would be faster than human's brains and as wise, it would be superior to humans (as it could count all the possibilities of things and formulaes and such in an instant), and that would make us live in a matrix like world.
How would a computer reproduce? Let's say I somehow make my desktop ultra super duper smart. It's still not going to be able to have babies or build anything.


Ce Olba said:
Just to clarify, a computer does not think of the things it does. It just does them. Thus your sentence "I think, therefore I am", which IIRC was a sentence by Einstein, is not a sentence for computers.
You're ridiculously far off. It was Descartes. Je pense, donc je suis also known as Cogito ergo sum, not to be confused with Coito ergo sum.
 

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
thegiantturtle said:
How would a computer reproduce? Let's say I somehow make my desktop ultra super duper smart. It's still not going to be able to have babies or build anything.

If it's so smart it could connect to the internet, and convince someone to build something that creates more things. Possibly by stealing money from someone.
 
Top