Is rerolling a grand charm really worth it?

Freezing Rain

Diabloii.Net Member
Is rerolling a grand charm really worth it?

What profit are you making? I look at it like this.

You start out with - Pul and Um

You trade pul for a baal gc, and um for 40 pgems.

You roll all of them, and on your last roll you know aquire a Necro Poison bone GC with a small amount of +life.

Now you trade this necro gc for Ist+Pul
You trade Ist for 3ums, and pul for another baal gc.

Worse luck this time, you trade all 3 ums for 120 pgems, and roll each and every one. you get nothing, ending up with a ilvl gc with +6 poison damage.

Now, your profits from rerolling = -Negative um rune (from original um/pul)

So, now you trade your other ist rune, (which you were saving to make a coh some day), and you get 120 pgems.
You roll all of them, and on the last one, you get a fire skiller. You trade this for mal. You trade mal for 80 pgems, you waste them all.

Now you end up with a +12 stamina ilvl 99 gc, and your profits are now negative -Ist, Um, Mal.

and this cycle continues until you get extremely lucky and roll your pcombat +45 life gc.

So is this what us rerollers live for? Negative profit and the hope one day we will get such a gc? YES! KEEP ROLLING EVERYONE!

live_action_pain

Diabloii.Net Member
yes basically we go in the hole,i spend upwards of 2-5 hrs a week for pgems if i can keep baal gcs.i remember this week i have bought 300+ pgems,4 baal gcs,ended up with 1 jav plain,1 p&b plain,1 curses 17 life :lol: ,and a 38 life/42 mana gc...its a gamble but i personally think its worth it since i have rolled a 41 life pally combat gc,trap 33,39 lifers,and a few 10-20 life pally,p&b gcs in 2 months of work

atreyu_ibanez

Diabloii.Net Member
Other then the fact you can eventually roll something that is really expensive such as his pcombat, etc. It can be quite fun, not just charm rolling but also crafting and so forth.

Rehsa

Diabloii.Net Member
you could be like me, save your own pgems (60+), find a good GC (lvl 85+) and re-roll

my first re-roll of a hell cow gc... 72 pgems or so... on my first one

pcombat gc with 37 life

i now re-roll like mad. i might get into crafting...

i also now re-roll gcs because it's easier for me to re-roll and hope to get a skiller i want, if i don't get one, but another skiller, i sell.

Bhruic

Diabloii.Net Member
I just collect all the gems from my mf runs. Once I fill a mule with pgems, I use 'em all up rerolling. So the only "loss" from the effort is the time spent picking up the gems. Which doesn't make me feel any better when I use a mule's worth of pgems and get nothing, but hey, I keep collecting.

Bh

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Crafters aren't really doing it just for the profit... if that's all you have in mind when crafting, then you're not going to get anything out of it, unless you're extremely lucky. Most people who figure it to be a profitable thing quickly become sick of it after a run of bad luck, whereas the true crafters among us do it for entirely different reasons.

It's what's referred to as player-created content... we have a sense of 'owning' whatever item we've created. It's one thing to have baal drop you a 45 lifer pcombat. It's something else entirely to say "I MADE this." It's that feeling that crafters go for... to have something that they made themselves, or in the case of actual 'crafted' class items, to have something NO ONE else has. Sure, everyone and their cousin has fletch on east nl... but how many people can say they have, say, armageddon loop - 2 sorc skills, 20% fcr, 18 res all, 63 mana, and 7% mana regeneration? Only the person who crafted it. It is *THEIRS*, and no one else has one just like it. That makes it unique, and is a crafter's source of pride.

atreyu_ibanez

Diabloii.Net Member
quietus thats basically exactly wut I was try'n to say just in more context :).
Thats why I do it, its fun and adds another portion to the game, I havent ever found the game boring, just can get tiring, it adds more a non-tiring part of the game and as quietus said, its not finding/iso the same thing over and over, its crafting and c'n wut you get outa it.

dang79

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, if you're looking at trading for pgems with your existing runes, then it would really be a math problem and your luck.

I don't buy pgems (except with trash items I find), I pick up flawless in cows and cube up every one of them. I pick up every single flawless gem I see.

So far this has not gone far wrong for me.
In all I think I must have rolled 5 or 6 Pcombat plains, 2-3 traps, 2-3 for each tree of sorc, 4 warcry, 3 or 4 summon and 3 or 4 pnB

Because I'm on EastNL, one of the most expensive things is the Pcombat plain, going for about 4 SOJs ish right now. Thats nothing to scoff at.

Considering I didn't trade for much in the first place.

Freezing Rain

Diabloii.Net Member
I go for 1 skill gcs. I mf travincal (Rune drops baby!) and get 10-15 grand charms a day. Not to mention 500k a run.

All iLvl 85 :lol:

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
IMO you don't make a profit with rerolling GCs in the long term, but apart from crafting (not rewarding as well) it's the only thing you can do with pgems and pgems are the only stuff you can get for amost of the uniques in the game without wasting too much time. That means if you can e.g. trade uniques for stuff you need instead of pgems, better do that.

If you find more stuff than you can sell for things not being pgems, there is no alternative. It's not worth to sell things for pgems if you have a use for the items. Of course, there are offers you can't resist.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
theredpredator said:
Good. Chances r the same rolling a skiller pindle baal?

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but GCs from Baal, Diablo and Nihlathak can get any mod while those from any other monster, including Pindleskin, can't get the 41-45 life suffix, so the answer is: No.

Next time please try to write in whole sentences and don't use abbrevations, so people who speak a different native language have a better chance to understand what you mean. That will greatly improve the number of positive responses. Another good idea is to search the forums yourself before asking others to do the work. Thanks for your understanding.

i rolled a 121/38 ar/lifer on my first roll from a diablo gc. O_O and that's the only diablo gc i've found and rolled. mebeh i should get more.

and about rolling. if rolling was accepted by everyone to be "profitable", no one would sell their gems as many people do. it's not guranteed to be profitable. but just think. you roll a 40+ lifer of some decent skiller valued 10-20 hr. -.- how many pgems is that? of course there's no guranteeing that will ever happen, and there's a large chance it won't, but that thought is what keeps people in the game.

Sh4dovv

Banned
quietus said:
Crafters aren't really doing it just for the profit... if that's all you have in mind when crafting, then you're not going to get anything out of it, unless you're extremely lucky. Most people who figure it to be a profitable thing quickly become sick of it after a run of bad luck, whereas the true crafters among us do it for entirely different reasons.
i pretty much only craft for profit, and i often profit :)

gambled around 350 amulets last week, the first 200 or so gave me nothing, but i got a few good ones in the last batch, and im coming out with 4x the value i put in :D