Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is pre-ordering worth it?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by LSP, Sep 4, 2010.

1. LSP

LSP IncGamers Member

Is pre-ordering worth it?

I never pre-ordered a game so bear this in mind.

Amazon UK (probably US as well), is selling the game for dirt cheap compared to what I'll pay eventually here in Portugal. Most games cost about 50€ at launch and including shipping I could pre-order it right now for about 28€.

I'd like to know a few things:

1) how does this works, will I simply pay the full price now and if it drops (unlikely) be refunded immediately or will I have to jump through any hoops?

2) will the game be shipped at a reasonable time or will people be playing the game for months before it arrives at my doorstep?

3) anyone ever get screwed over by doing this? The game coming out and Amazon not delivering?

TIA.

2. reyoo

reyoo IncGamers Member

Re: Is pre-ordering worth it?

At least for amazon

1. "If the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price."

2. You select the shipping time when you place your order.

3. If amazon does not deliver go through costumer service and work it out.

3. sirroman

sirroman IncGamers Member

It all depends on the store you bought.

Here in Brazil, one friend of mine bought 5 copies of SC2 (preordered one month before the launch day) from the biggest retailer, I bought 2 copies from on smaller competitor (preordered the day before!). I received my copies 1~2 days before him. \o/

I never bought from Amazon, so I can't give you really any info about it.

(yeah, I complained with them because while I was buying they "previewed" 4 days and when I printed the confirmation it said 7 days and I was all "Wut?". In the end I received in the third day after launch. - funny: I was complaining and the guy was "blah, sorry... blah... What did you... blah, sorry... blah... please, hold on. I just got confirmation that your package has been sent to the delivery company")

4. Malaterre

Malaterre IncGamers Member

You should add some transportation fees. The more expensive, the faster. Perhaps something like 10 euros if you want to get the game really fast when it comes out.

Amazon is a reliable online shop, never had a problem with them. However I never pre-ordered something from them this long in advance so I do not know if they will charge you immediatly, if they will change the price (apparently they claim that they will not)...

Another possible problem is that you will have the English DVD. It is not obvious that it will allow you to play in Portugese (although I do not know if Blizzard distributes Portugese versions in Europe). Most probably, as for SC2, you will be able to download the version you want from your Battle.net account. If you want the english version, then it is more convenient than to buy it in Portugal.

5. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

I think there's some EU law or something that states that, unlike in the US, vendors cannot charge you for any pre-orders before the game actually ships. That has been the case for me and I'm guessing that will be the case for anyone ordering from Portugal as well. Amazon probably mentions this on their UK site.

As a resident of Sweden I order my games from the UK, since it's usually cheaper due to the way currency conversions work. Shipping costs up to £2 (sometimes free depending on vendor) and delivery takes anywhere from 4 to 14 days with the Royal Air Mail. I've never had any bad experiences once the item has actually been shipped.

Also, I think all EU vendors are legally prohibited from charging you more if the pre-ordered product becomes more expensive after you've placed your order, so it normally pays off to pre-order early before the product's recommended retail price (RRP) has been established. For instance, I've pre-ordered D3 from Zavvi.com for £23.94 even though the price later went up to £31.94 (shipping included in both cases).

Sometimes I use this site for price comparisons. Naturally, you can cancel pre-orders any time you want (as long as the item hasn't been shipped) and no money will be drawn from your account.

6. LSP

LSP IncGamers Member

I don't really care about any possible Portuguese version so that's not really a problem. I'd be concerned if there were regional problems with the DVD but the UK and Portugal are both region 2 so that's cool.

I'm not really looking to get the game here ASAP, like the day of release, just don't want to get it like a month later. Never had that problem with anything I ever bought but I've never pre-ordered.

I'm going to try it and report back. Might run into some problems given that I use a virtual credit card but I'll just email Amazon regarding that.

Thanks, folks.

7. LSP

LSP IncGamers Member

Bought it. No money was removed from my account although I will be paying VAT. Still cheaper than most games here, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 can still be bought for 50€ each. It was actually worth my while to buy the Forgotten Realms Deluxe Edition that already had NWN1 again for 30€...

Regarding virtual cards here is the full email I got from Amazon in case it helps out someone else:

It most certainly did. I just hope the price goes even lower or the Pound/Euro exchange rate favors me when the time comes :D

Assuming it works this is a pretty sweet system. Thanks for all the input, folks.

8. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i always preorder any major game i want. whenever i have a few extra bucks i just go to gamestop and pay for it then so when its out i dont have to worry about the money. gamestop usually has preorder bonuses too which is cool

9. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Well, I don't pre-order games UNLESS I can get them cheaper that way.

10. Monster

Monster IncGamers Member

Pre-ordering is virtually never worth it. Unless maybe you're 1000 kilometers from the nearest big box store? Also, take into consideration the publisher....Blizzard. I'm pretty sure they'll be making sure there's no shortages come release day.

11. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

Its almost never worth pre-ordering unless it gains you something significant in the long run. The only game I've ever pre-ordered and not regretted it was LOTRO.

12. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

Publishers and developers want you to preorder because not only does it mean you're buying the game before most reviews are out (good if the game receives average-to-negative reviews), it also means you're buying the game when its price is at its highest (when the game's novelty value drops, so will its price). This is why preorder bonus items and DLCs have become common as of late and why that trend is likely to continue.

13. AxeX

AxeX IncGamers Member

I only preorder if I'm going to the midnight launch, because waiting a half-hour to buy the game because pre-orders go first is not fun =P (and yes, I did have this happen during WotLK release, but I preordered SC2 so I was happy =))

14. LSP

LSP IncGamers Member

Well, a game around here costs about 50€. I got it for 36 including shipping.

Stores in my city never carry the good games and like to add a lot of € just to be dicks.

Also, online retailers around here get their wares a bit late, or rather, the good ones also have brick and mortar stores and sell the games later.

I don't need the game on the same day as it ships but I'd like to play it while it's still new.

I think I did a good purchase, it will get here soon (after it ships) and I saved a few € that might actually be less (if the price drops).

15. Carlin

Carlin IncGamers Member

For CE; yes.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  16. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

just gotta put 5 bucks down to preorder then pay the rest when you pick it up so you dont have to pay the highest price

17. The Rockman

The Rockman IncGamers Member

I preordered from Amazon.co.uk the day I first saw it there. I preordered loads of stuff from them, never had any problems with delivery and they never charged me before it dispatched (Only thing is you pay the price that you ordered it at (then they refunded the difference between preorder price and the lowest price reached so your lose out on possiblely 1-2 days of interest on upto £2s unlikely in D3 case with the price being £22.97 ATM given that the cheapest new release is normally £25 with AAA titles being £30-40).
    Given the way it works well worth doing as its ~25% off in most cases or if the RRP is as high as Starcraft 2 then it be at lest a 35% saving on amazon own price and almost a 50% saving on the RRP.

18. gWeiss

gWeiss IncGamers Member

If you want the game quick, saves from disappointment of out of stock and such.

19. Killafornia

Killafornia IncGamers Member

Region lock means nothing for PC really. It's easy as cake to get around it.

20. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

*Starts ranting about sc2 region lock and b.net 2.0 issues*