Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is Prayer that good on a merc in Hell?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by The Butt, Aug 22, 2010.

1. The Butt

The Butt IncGamers Member

Is Prayer that good on a merc in Hell?

I'm just nervous about going and getting a Prayer merc, I'm not sure as to the benefits of it over Holy Freeze. I really like Holy Freeze... I'm a Meteorb Sorc btw. I have two questions:

• My mercenary is currently, the same level as I am (93). What level would my mercenary's Prayer be, were I to buy one? I've never seen anything outlining the level of mercenary skills.
    • Also, how much life would it regenerate for me (and over what timespan... is it per second)?

In Hell, would it make any significant difference? My life is 1330 currently... goes up above 3000 when that when I can get a Barb to BO. Is Prayer gonna be that useful to me? I just want to cover all my bases, and make sure my chances of dying in Hell are as minimal as they can be.

Thank you.

2. CombatChristian

CombatChristian IncGamers Member

3. The Butt

Re: Is Prayer that good on a merc in Hell?

Thank you a bunch. :) So the mercenary's Prayer would be level... 18 then, according to that (hopefully that hasn't changed since 1.10).

Edit: Actually, 18 in Normal, 16 in Hell. :/ Guess I'm going to Normal to buy my merc.

I'm still sorta unsure as to the frequency at which it regenerates life though... I don't quite understand "Prayer Freq", which seems to be stuck at 10. With a level 18 Prayer, it heals +21 life... how often is that? Is it per second?

Also, another question: Does my mercenary's Prayer, cost me mana when I regenerate life from him? I mean, the Meditation from the Insight I put on him would make this negligable, but I just would like to make sure.

I'm just unsure if, with 1330 life, this is gonna make a significant difference.

4. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

Frequency in that topic determines how often the hireling's AI selects Prayer: once selected, Prayer activates and is applied continuously from then on.

Prayer applies its healing to all targets within its radius every two seconds, so level 18 Prayer and its passive bonus to Meditation will heal 42 life every 2 seconds for players, or 21 per second (1,260 every minute). Hirelings and pets don't use mana so Meditation doesn't apply to them and they only get healed by Prayer (21 life every 2 seconds or 10.5 per second, 630 every minute).

Your hireling's Prayer doesn't cost you mana.

5. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

I would recommend HF or Might over prayer as I've found both to be far more helpful in merc survivability.

Might = more damage = faster kills, less folks hitting on him at once, better life leech
    HF = slows monsters down, mitigating a lot of damage reducing attacks.

6. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

You can get twice as much prayer healing rate if your mercenary also wields insight polearm. This healing won't keep you from dying but it keeps your life orb full if you pick up small nicks and bruises. this way you can keep all purple potions instead of red and blue.

7. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

Once I'm decently geared, I only pickup purples =P

But going back on the insight/prayer merc - I thought it be an ideal setup for an ES build to eliminate the need for a CTA, but he'd generally take more damage than he'd regen, which defeated the purpose. As a starting merc he's fine and dandy, but in Hell all my experience points to Prayer as a poor choice for Hell when compared to the popular alternatives.

8. kavlor

kavlor IncGamers Member

Yeah I found a Prayer merc with Insight gives very good survival but without its not really very effective.

9. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

The way to do it is make a paladin with a bunch of integer damage reduction and health regen items, max'd prayer, and keep cleansing active with lots of +defensive aura skillers. Then get a prayer/insight merc on top of that. Immune to monsters.

10. The Butt

My merc uses Insight in a Giant Thresher currently.

I'm still unsure if Prayer's a good option, for now I will stick with Holy Freeze. But I'm still debating it.

11. Knarlfist

Knarlfist IncGamers Member

It all depends on your character and build of course. For instance I use an Act5 Barb for my 1pt Smiter Zealot, but that's because he has a special gear setup for RIP and I take him with me on Nithlathak runs.

Seems some people in here don't like Prayer mercs, but I use one on most of the rest of my chars, and they do extremely well in my experience. To give you an idea, on my Tank Sorc (max TK and ES), I use a Prayer merc with an Eth Glad Bane, socketed Andy's helm, and an elite polearm Insight.

I follow Hell Baal runs pretty much all nite, trying to grind to lvl90 and watching the ground for elite socketables/sockets.... I was pretty damn shocked when I had to feed my merc one rejuvie - it literally hadn't happened in so many weeks that I've almost stopped paying attention to his health. The combination of integer dmg reduction, nice defense, life leech, and synergized Prayer along with the weird way merc's seem to take dmg in frames, all insure that he's a pretty tough little cookie. I just cast Enchant on him (it's only 1pt +skills, but I have maxed Warmth for my weird build), and pretty much ignore him.

Prayer merc surely isn't the only option, but don't let anyone tell you it can't work ;-)

12. kavlor

kavlor IncGamers Member

I'd say an Insight on a Prayer merc is very effective with a Sorceress using Energy shield as it will replenish both mana and life.Killing Mephisto takes longer but getting to him is quicker.

13. Knarlfist

Even considering the point you bring up, I wonder how true it is... or if true how big the impact.

There are times in Hell when Life Leech means nothing for your merc, and if you specifically run a certain boss then you might be able to customize your merc's kit even further. Only run Hell Meph and don't need the leech on Andy's? Perhaps change it to Guillame's, and socket it with whatever best helps your merc (Um for resists, or Sol, or whatever).

Now you have both Crushing Blow AND Static Field working against Mephisto. Is the kill on him REALLY gonna be any longer? Perhaps... I'd really doubt for more than a few secs though, since you are guaranteed to get him to at least half life almost instantly, and remember in the original merc kit I listed you have Insight in an Elite Eth polearm, which will get +260% Edmg on a good roll.

It's not like that isn't still pretty decent dmg weapon for your merc to help finish off Bosses/mobs ;-)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  14. Scudstorm

Scudstorm IncGamers Member

Prayer is for players who prefer not having to pot once in a while. Insight too, to a lesser extent (as mana potting can get pretty intense if your max mana is low and mana consumption rate high).

If you don't mind the occasional red, HF/Might are better choices imo. Though I run Prayer myself because I'm lazy :)

15. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

I really doubt you could get more reliability out of an insight/prayer merc than a hf/reaper one, at least in the tough areas like cs baal runs, nihl etc

16. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Like Scudstorm says, Prayer/insight is for lazy folks. :p

Defiance or holy freeze will help more when you're in a real jam.

17. The Butt

Alright, so basically it seems like Prayer's only good for making it nonessential to pot. Tbh, I generally stay out of the fray so I potion only rarely. So I'm sticking with Holy Freeze.

I like the Insight on my merc though, it really helps. :) Now if I could only get an eth Colossus Voulge or something, or an eth Giant Thresher...

Thank you guys! :)

18. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

Prayer merc with insight rocks. I use it for my orb-it-all'er and i wouldnt go back to holy freeze any more.

Yes, i dont think there were many occasions after i got the insight and the merc where i ever had to pot. Maybe once every 5th mf run or so. It is just so comfortable. i woulnd miss it.

Look at it this way : the holy freeze is a additional defense mechanism. Once you play so good that you dont get hit anyway, you dont need that additional defense mechanism any more. But since nobody gets 100% out of EVERY hit, you will sometimes have small nibbles in your red bulp, and that will automaticaly go away with prayer. With holy freeze, it will also happen from time to time, it just wont regenerate automaticaly :)

19. Knarlfist

It's not like I don't ever use a different merc combo depending on my build, but I definitely agree with Twoflower.

I have one char using a Holy Freeze merc, and of course the one char that uses a Lawbringer Act5 Barb merc because he comes along for Nihlathak runs... but other than that, for any char I use that is pretty intensive on mana I am gonna use Prayer/Insight - end of story.

On my ES sorc for example, it is more than just wanting the mana regen. Since it is a max resists/max block/PDR build along with the maxed TK and ES, I end up taking very small amounts of dmg per frame even if ES falls. Synergized Prayer from merc helps replace that dmg per frame almost as fast as I take it, and the mana regen means I will instantly have enough to either tele away or recast ES.

At least for that build alone, I don't see Prayer+Insight being anything to do with "too lazy to pot". It's literally a perfect compliment to the build, and just makes sense. But as I've said before in this thread, in the end which merc you go with is situational to your build. There is no one perfect answer that works best for every different build.