Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is NM Meph able to drop a shard?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by seralph, Oct 22, 2006.

1. seralph

seralph IncGamers Member

Is NM Meph able to drop a shard?

The odds I get a shard from nightmare Meph per drop with 100 mf and soloplay is ~1/300. This result manly base on 1.10 classic data.
    So after more than 200 kills Mephisto never droped a blade at all (avarage chance ~1/60). Is he still capable of droping blades in 1.11? Did the odds changed or am I that unluky? Is and was the data I used wrong anyway?

Thanks for helping me.

2. Sebbie

Sebbie IncGamers Member

I don't know the odds at all but from my experience do Diablo runs for shard. Lord de Seis seems to drop it pretty often. But on the other hand from 200 Meph runs you probably have nice gear you could trade for Shard no? That's the beauty of online play you can trade for about any unique you need. Worst case scenario you overpay and you got the item you want for sure.

3. Monzee

Monzee IncGamers Member

Yes I'm quite sure I've found shard a couple of times from meph. If your on Europe sccl drop me a pm and I'll have one waiting with your name on it :azn:

4. seralph

seralph IncGamers Member

this char never joined a multiplayergame and will never do (my classic untwinked soloplay project). Thank a lot but I can't take it. Have the WP RoF and I'm lvl74 allready. Maybe if I killed hell diablo, but then it was not nessecary at all.

Based on the data I use norm Diablo has the odds of 1 shard per ~140 kills but I am running meph for other gear I need as well. Seems like I need to make much more runs.
    Thanks to both.

5. ElDrunko

ElDrunko IncGamers Member

You could probably buy a shard off someone for 300-450k.

6. seralph

seralph IncGamers Member

I didn't asked for a shard, would be nice to have one for faster teleport while running Meph, but trading is for me twinking too. To gather wealth is not a big thing. I'am sure I can afford one, but don't want to use an item this char didn't found himself. I'm tired of twinking. I appreciate how you all try to help me getting a shard.

The question which is still open is: Have the odd's changed? The other questions I see as ansered.

7. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

I don't know if anyone has bothered to empirically test to see if the odds have changed. many of us have had shard drops on nm mephy. in terms of your luck with respect to finding shards there, it would seem like bad luck on your part.

similarly, I have personally, only seen perhaps a dozen sojs fall in over 2.5 years of playing, and I have never managed to get any of them as drops. it's always been people on my /f list (people I know/knew pretty well)

8. quadeddie

quadeddie IncGamers Member

Seralph, you need higher mf to make your runs worthwhile. You're trying to get a unique item, so you need the maximum mf possible (400+ is possible and doable in normal and NM).

If you're mfing just for the shard, then Mephy isn't your best bet. Norm Diablo has much better odds (1/150 with 3 people in the game and 400 mf).

I found that it was almost magical when I started mfing with the max mf I could (420 ish, if I remember right), I would get huge amounts of uniques in norm and nm. Hell item types are not uniqes, but when a hell drop does have a unique class of item, my mf usually turns it unique.

9. seralph

seralph IncGamers Member

with 400 mf I would only find 1.48 times the amount of uniques and loose about 200 mana and fcr which I realy need for teleporting. I do not clear the way down to meph where the mf would be usefull. So for me speed is more important than mf and I run him manly for magic/rare items.

So the odds changed indeed. Can you link to a frequenzie-sum-table for base item drops in 1.11?

What is a hell typ item? Is it an exceptional quality base item?

thanks so far
    seralph

10. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

I have seen/heard various things with regard to the amount of MF.

My perception, is that higher MF doesn't necessarily mean more/better drops.

as an example, my mf baba regularily has a hair over 200 mf. I frequently MF with a 1300 or so dmg chant, and will often, test my theory by equipping a 15x bh in one hand, and a gull in the other to push the mf over 300, and everyonce in a while double gulling with that giant chant after reducing the boss's life with the bh, or mart.

it seems to me, that I end up with more crappy uniques/set items going that route.

that being said, if I go another route altogether, using the baba to BO my din, having my din clear a CS, and then having the baba sit next to Diablo, with his 300 or so MF on, and have the Din kill, with essentially zero MF on, a bundle of uniques drop, the quality of which is a crapshoot of course, but even if they turn out to be worthless for trades/use they often yeild more gold for gambling :p

11. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Can't you just tele to meph with your 'tele' gear, then put a tp on the little island between meph and the red portal. Go to town, put on your MF gear, waste Meph with your MF gear. Or, if you are feeling lucky, punk(My ode to Clint, no insult intended), you could switch your gear right there on the island. Mind you, sometimes the council also takes an active interest in your well-being, or rather, resolving your well-being.

12. quadeddie

Yes, I realize that it's quite a sacrifice to go ultra mf, but I do and it works. For testing, I tried 420 mf on norm Andy lately and am now swimming in nagels.

With a high enough level vita bliz sorc (80ish), you should be able to do all the nm mephy runs you want.

I created a TC3 sorc who's pretty much done at level 52 and she has the following:

Strength: 80
    Dex: 51
    Vita: Rest
    Mana: Base (you can balance with life here if you want)

Gear:
    Tanc Ammy + Tanc Armor (72% MF)
    3 PTopaz Helm (78% MF)
    Dual PNagels (60% MF)
    Chance Guards (35% MF)
    Rare Boots (25% MF)
    GoldWrap (30% MF)
    Shard (50% FCR)
    Wall Of Eyeless (20% FCR)

The goal of this build is to find unique TC3 items. This gives me 300% MF and I have sacrificed the shield and gull for shard and woe to hit the 63% FCR breakpoint.

Skillwise, it breaks down like this:
    20 Teleport
    20 Warmth
    2-3 in Orb
    3 or 4 in Prereqs

You're going to be teleporting 80% of the time - only stopping to kill your goal monster and any champs or uniques along the way.

This build owns norm (it's what it was designed for) and is fast. Mana isn't much of an issue because your warmth is maxed and your teleporting is maxed. I have the belt stacked with 3 x 4 greater mana pots (with another 12 in the inventory). I don't pot often because I usually hit akara for a quick refill on the way to the tp pad in rogue, and if I'm halfway down my bulb out in the wild, I'll stop for a quick drink at a well in Cave.

I MF in the following order:
    Dark Woods: Treehand
    Stony: Raka (he usually doesn't give me anything good except stupid rare small shields, so I'll port to stony, and if the port to trist isn't right next to the tp, then I continue on to Cave)
    Cold Plains, Cave Level 1: Coldcrow

Trist is sometimes looked at as well as that super unique cold skeleton guy in InnerClositer - you can just stab him with the shard a few times. To mix in Andy, you'll need to level more and get a better orb and more life. As far as life goes, monsters can't touch you if you stay in levels Dark Woods and lower. (So really, you could go all mana with this build, and have to pot even less - but you may want to extend her into Andy, so you'll need more of a vit build for that)

So far in about 200 runs, I've gotten: 3 peltas, 3 Hotspurs, 5 gnashers, 1 gull, 2 torch of iros, 1 hand of broc, 3 biggins. A full run takes less than 2 minutes, so my biggest problem is getting "Failed to Join".

Stuff I get ALOT but I don't pick up: Arctic Coat, Infernal Cap, Hisaru's Buckler, Cleg's Shield and bails of useless low lvl rares (I id only the rare rings, keeping anything else in your inventory is worthless and takes up space for pots). I only use a Town Portal scroll when I'm wayyy out in Dark Wood or if I decided to do trist. Normally, I'll just TP back and exit the game after Coldcrow. This limits my visits to shops and I often don't need to pot for a game or two.

One thing I was just thinking of.... As good as my Teleport and Warmth is, I still loose a little bit of mana per tele (and that is exaggerated with the 63% breakpoint). Teleporting is time based as is warmth. I'll try tonight to experiment with a tarn to see if the 32% MF sacrifice is worth lowering the TP cost by 1 mana point and upping warmth a little bit. I'll also try to see if I go almost maximum MF (with tarn) would slow my teleporting enough for warmth to keep up with the tele drain.

13. Akukami

Akukami IncGamers Member

Why are you specifically MFing low level Rares and crap Uniques when you could be finding nicer items in Hell?

- Akukami

14. quadeddie

Just an experiment build. I wanted to see how difficult it was to create a character that was a dedicated gull-finder (aptly named: gullfinder).

15. Akukami

Akukami IncGamers Member

Then go for Andy. She's got a good drop potential for Gulls.

- Akukami

16. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

heh. try an absurdly low level , no MF, chanted to kill andy in your favorite mode... I've found some neat things that way. Duriel has been good to me only 2 or 3 times in a similar fashion.

I have however, also found it much easier to trade for gulls, than to waste time specifically looking for them. *shrug*

17. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Indeed, gulls are not found, they find you. When you least expect it.
    Don't go looking for them, just go about your business and one will come up to you when you least expect or need it.

18. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

If you have two computers, then you may want to try a horking barb primed to kill the normal Cow King with enchant. I made one in LS2 who used Frenzy with double Gulls, enchanted and he raked in a bunch more Gulls from Cow King runs. And got some useful TC3 items as well, like Hotspur, Tarnhelm and Tancred's boots as well. Basically, the sequence was: enchant sorc made a game, got the leg, made cows, and enchanted the barb. He frenzied a few cows to get his run/walk speed up and set off in search of the Cow King's fort, using Howl to open up space if needed and stopping to recharge frenzy if it ran out. Using Howl to separate the King from his assistants was a big help and then it he could kill the King and hork the corpse before the minions returned from their little strolls. Horking WW MF builds have the problem that there end up being many cow corpses next to the King's corpse and it takes longer to hork them all or find the correct corpse, and you can't WW with Gulls as you run out of mana way too fast, so you have to switch weapons which is a hassle.

Sometimes I led some series of runs with lower level characters who were happy to have the enchant and the cow portal open after I was done.

I also tried hunting Gulls with an MF Tesladin, who would go and look for normal Coldcrow. He did OK and found some TC3 uniques but definitely the enchanted frenzy barb was much better at it.

19. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

I have pretty nice dual leach gloves, and one dual leach ring on most of my mf/WW baba's. mana/life leach isn't the problem when WWing cows, but rather the gulls breaking is.

20. quadeddie

Very good idea. So you'd kill the king and hork the corpse for double chance at good items, right? If you dual wielded gulls, you'd could go over 500 mf easy (perfect for turning items into uniques). If this gives you the occasional gull, that'd be great because Cow King is also a dropper of BlinkBats (worth a gull or more on West to the right person).