Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is my IK Barb hosed?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by spuddogg, Mar 1, 2004.

1. spuddogg

spuddogg IncGamers Member

Is my IK Barb hosed?

After finding the armor a couple weeks ago and completing the set, I started building up an IK Barb.
    I've built just about everything under the sun over the years so this time I wanted to use Concentrate with synergies.
    Also, I'd like to eventually use this guy as a DClone killer.
    Now I'm reading that IK Barbs don't do so hot using Conc., as the weapon damage isn't high enough.
    At this stage he's at 73 (still in NM), with about 15 skill points left to distribute (went for max BO and Shout early). I only have 4-5 points in Conc.
    My question to those more experienced with this build in 1.10 is three-fold -
    Should I scrap him and start all over again?
    Can I 'salvage' him with the extra skill points I have and pump WW?
    Is WW really that much better that Conc. for this build?
    (There's always the remote possiblity of landing a BOTD).

2. squigipapa

squigipapa IncGamers Member

I'm building an IK barb right now. He won't be the most powerful that I could possibly make however, I like to switch things up every once an a while, I maxed shout & BO you can't go wrong with that in either conc or ww build. and I'm going to put 1 point in mace mastery & 1 point in axe mastery. I'm going to keep ww and conc as equil as I can. Because I like to use both. most of the time I ww groups and kill them fine. But when there's a tough boss or something like that I like to stand right next to him and conc like a MF'er (not magic finder!)
    I'm not done building him yet, so I guess I'll have to see how he does, end game, but I think he should be a pretty good and fairly versitle IK barb, with the option of switching to an axe and shield if needed.

3. UselessOne

UselessOne IncGamers Member

I would start a new Barbarian if you want to do whirlwind and keep your concentrate barb as a mule or a future option.

It's not that hard to get your character to level 73 these days. And there might be nice people who could help your character a bit on the way. Once I was bored and sort of power acted them through hell with my zealot pally. It took about one hour to do all of hell. I say sort of because they did the killing while I did the tanking.

If you do decide to build a WW barb, I found that maxing mace mastery and whirlwind first is the way to go with a few points into battle orders along the way. At around level 63 or so, mace mastery, WW and Battle orders are maxed and the next thing I go for is shout. I also put only 1 point into natural resistance at level 30.

4. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

1pt into mastery is crap. 1.09 was bugged with mastery / crit strike bonus.

MUST MAX MASTERY.

g

out :yep:

5. spuddogg

spuddogg IncGamers Member

update

He's now in Act 2 Hell at lvl 77 and he is absolutely tearing up the the place.
    I'm still keeping the skill points in reserve because I tend to think his 'pwnage' will begin dwindling rapidly in Act 4 .
    But hell, I'm having a blast so far.

6. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

Finish him off, then decide. Drop the rest into Concentrate. I mean, why are you calling yourself a Concentrate barb if you haven't maxed Concentrate? WTF?

The IK barb build is simple!! You should have:

Maxed Mace Mastery
    Maxed [attack skill of choice]
    Maxed BO
    Maxed Shout
    1 pt in pretty much all warcries
    1 pt in pretty much all other combat skills [except the double swing/throw/frenzy tree, duh]
    1 pt in the four passives

IK set gives so many bonuses that 1 point is all you need in many skills. I maxed WW, but I could just as easily walk around killing everything with Concentrate (1 pt) if I so choose. Heck, I use Concentrate on the clone. I use Concentrate when there are very few enemies left. 'zerk has a point in it too but I use it only against Oblivion Knights (the elem damage on the maul does the rest).

Btw, you probably want to use Battle Cry (1 pt) to increase your chance to hit. With just a single point IK set bumps it to something like level 8 or 9, -60% target's defense = gg.

7. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

Do ww

I tried conc barb with my IK set before, and he did poorly. I hated killing one monster at a time, so tedious. I am now absolutely loving my IK WW barb, even though I'm a sorc player at heart. I'm actually surprised at how much I like my IK WWer right now. The only thing that annoys him are instant death IM and mana draining guys.

8. Furry_friend

Furry_friend IncGamers Member

Max shout, 1 zerk => Your dclone killer is ready.
    On my Ik barb I use rising sun ammy, dwarf star and raven frost to negate his fire attack and get cbf.

9. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

I've always felt that maxing a mastery is a waste, because of the minimal benefits increase after the first skill point. If you're going for a full IK set barb, your AR's already through the roof and the increase in damage beyond level 1 mastery is minimal...you get more damage from your weapon and ED jewels.

I'd rather pump Ironskin for the extra def...making you truly a tank, and pump Conc for the uber damage it does vs single targets (get it? bosses, Dclone etc)

I'm currently considering an IK WW/Conc barb myself...BO and Shout will also be maxed, with remainders going into mace mastery, as it really gives the least benefits compared to the rest of the skills, which offer so much more and should definitely be maxed first.

-X

10. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

i chose berserk for an IK barb (with warcry)

i espescially like berserk because of IM.

he worked pretty nicely. (6k3 dmg without charms/jewels/ohms iirc) I would think the magic damage also makes him good vs dclone.

11. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Here's an option:

Max mastery over WW and just get WW so there are no more negatives with using it. The best thing about WW is how fast it activates the crushing blow on the IK set. So I would max conc since you want it a DClone killer. I'd get WW to a tolerable level and I'd finish maxing my damage with Mace Mastery.

But really... it sounds like you wanted to make something for your IK set and it sounds like you wanted to make a Conc barb. So you should do both... If you find out that you hate clicking each and every monster with the IK set then switch the equipment and start a WW barb. You can still keep your Conc barb... you just need to find more equipment for him... I'm sure there's a faq out there with plenty of suggestions.

FYI: a lot of people like making Crushing blow Assasins or Pallys as Dclone killers since Dtalon gets the attack rate to 7/2 and Smite is but a$$ fast to begin with... WW will probably do it as well but I'd rather have two Stormlashes and the CB set up over the IK set.