Is mirc safe?

DamianM

Diabloii.Net Member
Is mirc safe?

Well i want to get mirc to go into those dclone hunting channels, i had it once before then i reformatted my computer. I heard that it can give you viruses and spyware, is that true? i have norton antivirus which came with my internet, so i want to know if its safe to download.

SuggestiveName

Diabloii.Net Member
mIrc is a widely used irc client. I've used it in the past, and I have found it to be quite safe. (Unless you wander into a sex channel...*shudder*)

superjayson

Diabloii.Net Member
The only way you will get any virus or spyware from mirc is by being stupid and clicking/doing something you should not be doing.
Or if you go on a server where your IP is not masked.

MapleBarb

Diabloii.Net Member
the only place i will be going is the dclone channels.
If you play on the east realm you can find out hot ips by going to op dcloneast or, I believe, op dclone as well. just type .hot, or .top. If you have a particular ip you want to find out how many sojs have been sold then type .event ** or *** depending on whether its a 2 or 3 digit number. and you find out.

RequiemDeath

Diabloii.Net Member
I've heard that the mIRC channel has been done away with, but there is an IRC chat channel that you can use without needing the mIRC software... Can't link to it here, but if you're interested, just shoot me a PM and I'll link ya to it...

*Requiem_Death

Anumati

Diabloii.Net Member
IRC is a chat protocol, which is run on various servers. You can use any client capable if running that protocol, such as Mirc, Trillian, Gaim, Miranda, Chatzilla (add on for Firefox browser) and several others. There are also Java and Flash applets that will let you get into IRC chatrooms, such as the one Diabloii.net uses for their chat.

All you need is a client, and to know what server and channel (chatroom) you want.

It's as safe as anything on the internet, like other people have said, if you go clicking and downloading things at random, you may catch something.

If you don't want to download things to get to a dclone channel, I suggest you find out what server they are on, and then go to that server's web page. Most of the time they have a Java or Flash applet you can use to connect, and then you can just /join the channel of your choice.

Changda

Diabloii.Net Member
mirc is not the safest thing on the internet. I wouldnt use it if u arent talking to ppl u know or trust. also, random hackers can get into the channel and cause damage. Just last week, i was on a irc chanel and some random ppl started to send virus so he can control my mouse and completly take control of my comp from far away

DamianM

Diabloii.Net Member
well i downloaded mirc and found how to use it and i went to the useast dclone channel. its pretty cool and sometimes people will say that theyre doing dclone on a certain server so you can try to get in. its more updated then the op dclone channel in the d2 chat.

SuggestiveName

Diabloii.Net Member
mirc is not the safest thing on the internet. I wouldnt use it if u arent talking to ppl u know or trust. also, random hackers can get into the channel and cause damage. Just last week, i was on a irc chanel and some random ppl started to send virus so he can control my mouse and completly take control of my comp from far away
This is one of the stupidest posts I have had the pleasure of reading in a long time. Well done sir, well done.

Anumati

Diabloii.Net Member
Well for one, unless your computer has less security than a park bench, you would have to actually physically do something, like click a link or accept a dcc or download, in order for him to get the "virus" on to your pc. Some basic security, like say, a firewall, ought to keep anyone from sending you anything you don't want.

Yes random "hackers" can get into channel, but the most of them can do nothing worse than ddos you or maybe take over the channel ops and mute the channel or kick everyone, unless, again, you actually do things to allow them.

Talking to people you don't know is not inherently dangerous either, unless by talking you mean you are giving them your name address bank account mother's maiden name and social security number. But just talking? No.

I've been using IRC for several years now, and I've never gotten a virus from it, or had anything worse than a bot join my channel and spam a link to somewhere suspicious. Which, again, I would have had to actually click to have any issues with. I don't even get ddosed, because in order for that to happen, you first have to annoy the bot master enough for him to sic his zombie network on you, and that's easily avoided by not acting like an idiot.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
I would be careful anyway. Many common programs contain bugs, so feeding them with certain data might cause the bug to let the program execute code which is part of the uploaded data. For example, a buffer overflow on the stack can achieve that.