Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is MFing dead?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by MageChick, Sep 12, 2006.

1. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

Is MFing dead?

Is it just me or has MFing around lately started to seem kinda not worthwhile? Key finding seems better to me.

I typically MF with my meterob when I want to run Andy/Meph/Diablo/Baal. She can teleport quickly and carries about 350+ MF with 150 more on weapon switch. Diablo and Baal get kinda tough in large parties (If I'm the only one doing any killing), but its all pretty quick going solo or with a buddy. I sometimes use her on key runs to the countess and the summoner, just because she can tele so quick and I don't have to worry about mana. She's not as quick going for D's as my Hammerdin as I have to be kinda careful down there.

But I have to say, I've been able to aquire wealth much more quickly with my Hammerdin lately. He doesn't carry much MF gear at all, just a Shako, Enigma and Gheeds. All I run with him is D keys. I may pop up to shenk/eldrich if I need to get a few more rejuv's, but I only do this like every 5 games. My hammerdin does go through a lot of blue pots (I don't bother to keep his insight merc alive), but the run goes real quick. I just tele into the mob surrounding Nihil... (however you spell his name) drop a few hammers, check for key, or any good gear, then leave and repeat. I only really do this when I'm getting ready to quit for the night as I'm sure I'll get a temp ban for making games to quick, but so far no problems. I get a key about every 15 games or so. In a little over an hour I can find plenty of D's, then sell them 1:3 for H's and T's. 3x Keysets will sell pretty nicely now. I can also do the ubers if I want, but an unid torch doesn't really sell for anymore than an organ set or 3x key sets.

That gets me a few high runes in just about an hour or two. When I spend that much time MFing with my sorc I'm not nearly as lucky. I guess the chance of MFing something realy godly is nice, but the steady income from D key running seems to win out overall. Thoughts?

2. gorash

gorash IncGamers Member

i also find it easier to mf with a hammerdin over sorcs when u have the gear by doing runs such as those and chaos where some higher end items can drop.

3. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

Getting rich through MFing is definitely less efficient than key hunting or dclone hunting. MFing is either for the very poor (that can't build a char to handle any of the key droppers) or those that enjoy finding things by themselves.

4. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

But if everybody stopped MFing and only went for keys, then there'd be no one to get equipment from :D

5. MageChick

Don't get me wrong, I used to collect every flawed gem and every El rune that dropped. I can remeber being happy when I could cube a Hel rune (actually I still am).

But key hunting goes pretty quick. I've even found a few really good items this season. I got a 28 Mara's when rushing a friend. I found a perfect 45% resist elite paly shield, rolled a 34life + Paly Combat GC, and lots of other good stuff. I rolled a 40 hoto on my first try too. I had a legit Mal drop on my hellforge and I even found a Ist in the middle of a cow run. That's the first legit high runes I've ever found. None of that compares to getting a high rune or two worth of stuff every night I do key runs.

I guess I'm glad that people are still MFing. Someone has to buy all these torches I'm getting. I kinda think the market would start going down on torches once everyone has one - but I guess that may be a while.

Now if I can ever figure out the DC hunting thing I may have to try that. I've never seen him walk myself. Hmmm, time for a new DC thread?

6. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Site Pal

i am against dupes and so i am trying to find all my items myself, i know i will never be able to make the runewords in time for it to matter so i am just happy finding uniques

7. IMCanadian

IMCanadian IncGamers Member

I'm not one for selling sojs, IMO it was a scam by blizz to remove soj stock piles, making them worth what they are today, not to mention that you know your paying for a dupe, which also comes back to why ppl dont mf, they just dupe. Everyones buying from items sites and dupin. Everyone knows the high rune they are getting is duped, and now with the easiness of key running, why waste time mfin hard and finding somthing good after three days just to have it disapear when you trade for duped runes. Mfin has sucked for the last little while, but since the interductory of keys, whats the point? Really, I never enjoyed mfin..never found l33t rares, now theres just no point...all part of the blizz conspiracy to ruin diablo and make ppl buy WoW.

IMC :grin:

8. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

What exactly is this Key thing anyways? I'ev heard something about super hard versions of bosses but since my chars aren't strong enough to do Hell I haven't ever experienced it myself.

9. ksdurg

ksdurg IncGamers Member

Yes, what are these keys you guys are talking about? (I'm somewhat new to D2x)

10. OmegaHatred

OmegaHatred IncGamers Member

re:

You collect keys from Countess (act1) Summoner (act2) and Nith (act5). Once you have 3 of them (Hate, Terror, Destruction) you can open a red tp, in act5, that opens to either uber Dury, Uber Izzy, or Uber Andy errr I mean Uber Lilith. Once you kill one of them, they'll drop a body part (Diablo's Horn, Baal's Eye, Meph's Brain). Once you have all 3 body parts put them into your cube and transmute. Voila! You get Uber Trist with Uber Diablo, Uber Baal, and Uber Meph all at once. Beat them and you get a nice torch (hopefully) :thumbsup:

11. dokuro

dokuro IncGamers Member

^ for you two :

When playing hell mode there is a tiny chance that any of three certain super unique boss monsters; The Countess from act one Tower Quest, The Summoner from the Arcane Sanctuary, and Nihlithak, will drop one or more "special keys." They are the keys of Hate, Terror, and Destruction (Just how Mephy, Diablo, and Baal are the Lords of them), each type of key can only drop from each different boss monster (although I'm having a brain fart and can't remember which is which). If you manage to attain a key of each type, you can put the three in the Horadric Cube in Act Five and cube it to open a portal to one of three secret levels : The Matrons Den, The Furnace of Pain, and The Forgotten Sands. In each of these, you will encounter some pretty tough monsters, as well as a boss monster (Lillith for the Den, Super Izual for the Furnace, and Super Duriel for the Sands) that, when killed, will drop an organ. If you can get 3 sets of keys and open all three portals in a single game, you'll be able to go in and get each of the different organs (Diablo's Horn, Mephisto's Brain, Baal's eye). Once you have these three, you can then put THEM in the cube (staying in Act 5) and open the portal to "Uber Tristram". Inside you will find SUPER POWERED versions of Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal, as well as tons of super minions that Mephisto will spawn. Don't attempt this unless you have a very good character to use, or a party of people strong enough. If you manage to kill all three bosses you'll find a handful of useless trinkets known as "Standard of Heroes" and a Hellfire Torch large charm, which is heavily traded and highly sought after versions of which can garner you plenty of high runes. The Hellfire Torch adds +3 to skills for a certain class, and between 10-20 stat points and resist points, as well as a few other corny bonuses.

Hope this helps.

12. sunflowersmooth

sunflowersmooth IncGamers Member

I love MFing. It adds an element to the game that feel refreshing and new. I do key runes, and mf every area possible before I start a new game. Even if I don't find decent items (which I usually do) it makes the game so much more fun for me. Not to mention on my way I find lots of interesting socketables
    (eth CVs & 5os pbs) and friendly runes like sol, amn, hel, and rals.

Its a load of fun when I play as opposed to how i just used to baal and exp and get my drops from him. Which reminds me, you know how peaceful it is to MF on your own instead of constantly competing for baal drops? It's amazing! When my eth cv and 5os pb and tals ammy and nats claw all dropped, I was the only one there to pick them up. And of course, every small charm and grand charm is mine.

Now thats true relaxation :starry:.

13. sirwhere

sirwhere IncGamers Member

Ahah.. magechick, you're getting to the same conclusion I got when I came back to D2. To me,

MAGIC-FINDING SUCKS BIG TIME

(Pls note that I wrote "to me".. lol) The reason is that gearing up for mf purposes reduces your overall efficiency at killing stuff and, worse, the money is no longer in unique items: it's on socketables, runes and other stuff for which mf doesn't help.

I gave up mf altogether. The only mf I do is using dual gull daggers on weapon switch to pop up some boss/champs corpses with my baboster.

14. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

When you have done MFing alot it becomes extremely boring. As i started out again a few weeks ago and went for Mephisto, the dejavue of a couple of 1000 runs lashed back at me. So what i do now is pretty much the as magechick.

Countess for runes and keys in Hell, Andariel because she dies in 2 seconds with Meteorb, Mausoleum, The Pit (this ist still fun since you have all kind of enemies to kill). Otherwise there is cows and such for pgems and runes.

I do Mephruns every now and then, but i have to be very bored to be doing that.

All in all MFing is a BIG timeeffort with rather small rewards compared to the 1000 runs you make.

Keep one thing in mind though. The ladder season has been running for very long and most people are rich already, so the will concentrate on crafting and cubing, so the currency has changed to runes and pgems. When the new ladder comes it will be for quite a while all about getting the right items to be able to go into the wealth direction once more.

15. MageChick

Yeah, I suppose it has a lot to do with how mature the ladder season is. It probably doesn't help that anything worth finding has already been duped a million times over.

I think you hit it dead on the nose. You have to MF until you get somewhat rich, but then its really just a matter of going for torches/anni's. Whatever I find on the way ends up being decent enough to sell.

16. Klæmint Vágadal

Klæmint Vágadal IncGamers Member

Just wait until the Ladder resets(Whenever that will be), then the price for Occy, HoZ, Arachnid and other nice uniques will go skyhigh and Mf'ing will be a good profit again:thumbsup:

*Gentlemen, start youre BlizzardSorcs* :laugh:

17. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

I just can't find the pit more fun than baal runs. Why don't you do solo baal runs? More monster kinds, about the same time for each run, better items, and more exp. At least that's what I'm doing now all the time.
    Not really. When the ladder resets, you can only trade item for item; HRs will be virtually non-exist. Item-item trades don't really bring you much wealth since all items depreciate as the ladder runs.

18. afflix

afflix IncGamers Member

hey i have recently built basically the same character as dream of winter. it is without a doubt my fav char so far and ive used almost all types at there best. it is so powerful and my switch is setup at 125% fcr so i fly now:p but yes i agree running mf runz has gone downhill. i am still trying to figure out the best places to mf for socketed items? anybody have an oppinion on that?
    latley i been doing hell cowz and so far havent really had much drop. but gime some insight on this subject thanks.

digital-0, east ladder

19. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Right, Baalruns shoulld be counted aswell. They can still be a pretty thrill with some groups of Black Souls, or other nice mixtures.

What i meant about the trades in the beginning is not that you get HRs for your items, but that you don'T end up looking for PGems and runes exclusivly, but MFing still makes some sense, so that you can excahnge those for some useful items that you need. That everything runs down to beiing people who look for pgems and runes is clear.

20. Epsilon Eyez

Epsilon Eyez IncGamers Member

I usually MF a ton when I start out (new ladder, expirated, etc). Then I get bored after a while.

Leveling is better - if you get some MF while leveling and killing bosses, you can find some neat stuff. I got a SOJ from NM Duriel, a Skins from Baal (just at the right time, thats the thing), and some other useful goodies for my sorc.

MFing is a good way to build up a fund for trading or twinking, but it is really tedious after a while.