Is making Christmas presents cheap?

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
Is making Christmas presents cheap?

As most know..I am a pauper and I have a few friends who I feel the need to give them something during the upcoming holiday season.

I have tried to look at each individual and think of something I could make that suits them. I can't afford to buy gifts but I can make them since my previous employer seemed to have forgotten to take my name of the wholesale list at the local craft supply house. I can buy supplies pennies on the dollar.

So, how would you feel receiving a homemade gift? In all honesty, crafty things don't come easy for me. It will most certainly take me a month to craft the 3 gifts I have to make. One in particular is going to be hard since I have to learn how to do something.

So, how would you feel if you received a homemade gift instead of something you could return for cash, re-gift or enjoy?

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
it depends on the skill of the craftsman, and how many years in a row you do it

I can't think of anything that would be of use to me personally that could be homemade

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
Depends on what it is. If it is something I find useful, I could care less if you made it or if it was purchased. In fact, I would probably prefer it if it were made and customized if it were quality. If I don't find it useful, I would hardly enjoy it but I would certainly never let you know that I didn't like it, but I imagine that is obviously common sense in this situation.

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
Well...hmm..what I was making is decorative and not useful.

I guess I should just hang it up now.

As long as it isn't a popsicle picture frame you're fine.

I like hand made things, as long as the person actually took time to do it and didn't just slap it together.

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm a guy, and a simple one, I don't decorate, whom this feedback is coming from should be taken into consideration

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
Certainly women would appreciate the more decorative gifts than guys (gross generalization but a fairly accurate one I imagine).

Verashiden

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd take something made. It shows a deeper level than just "buying crap". Think of it this way, "Time is currently the most valuable thing to man these days. So the time you spend making the gifts is priceless".

:)

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
Am I the only guy who thinks it's the thought really does count in the end?
it is the thought that counts, but I tried to answer zodi's question honestly

a homemade decorative item given to me would probably vanish into a box somewhere despite however much I appreciate the work that went into it

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
I do appreciate the honesty Ash. No offence was taken. I guess if I do continue with it they will live a life banished to some undie drawer.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
My ex made me a picture frame for Christmas one year. Well, she didn't make the frame, but she put some wallpaper stuff on it, and got a picture for it, and did some other decoration on it. It was a very thoughtful and warming present, and I didn't think it was cheap at all. I can't imagine it cost her much more than $5 for the materials and $5 for the frame.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
It all depends. If someone made me a Monkey Island t-shirt with Guybrush saying "How appropriate. You fight like a cow" on it, I'd wear it until it disintegrated.

Use your best judgement, I guess. If you know the person and know they'd really like something it's a great thing to do.

Gertlex

Banned
If it's a hand-carved Man Substitute, make sure you sand it REAL good.
And include a liability exemption for toilets.:grin:

Seriously though, it's indeed the thought that counts.

Dondrei's thoughts count negatively, despite his forthcoming math phd or whatever.