Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

IS life unfair?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by superman22, Feb 26, 2004.

1. superman22

superman22 IncGamers Member

IS life unfair?

i need honest like answers.
    your opinions.
    examples are great.

im trying to do a paper on this.. and i just need input frmo as many people as possible. thanks.

2. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

Yes, life is unfair. some people get away with stuff and others pay the price. however, there is no sense whining about it so don't let that bother you.

3. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Of course it is. When was the last time you heard someone say "damn, life is fair!"

4. superman22

superman22 IncGamers Member

after receiving more input, ill post my arguemnt for life being fair.

5. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

Well, life IS fair in a way...

Everyone born gets a hand of cards that, when played, spells out their life. But not everyone has the same cards. Whining that life isn't fair is like whining about poker not being fair because the other guy got four aces dealt to him when all you have is junk. Nothing "unfair" about it, but perhaps unfortunate is a better word. However, life is far more serious than a poker game and because of that, seeking fairness is a bigger objective. So even if you get a crappy set of cards to play your life with... you can still play them as you choose, and if you wish to make the best of it, you will likely pursue a different path than anybody else with their own hand.

So I think life is fair, but also unfortunate depending on how you compare your situation to others. And that is highly subjective anyway.

That's my simple answer.

6. CaptJoe213

CaptJoe213 IncGamers Member

"I never told you life was fair boy" "I never promised you a rose garden boy" "The world dont owe you anything boy" - I should have a penny for every time my father said one of these, I'd be rich enough to support myself, family, friends, and the entire OTF with millions to spare lol

naw, life aint fair, some of the most wonderful people I have ever known are dying of cancer, and dying slowly, suffering :(

7. Xynrx

Xynrx IncGamers Member

Simple answer in simple terms: You just have to play the game with the cards your dealt; it may not be equal, but it's a chance.

8. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

'try not to look at it in terms of fair and unfair, think of it as insight into human nature: you see what you need to see'

life is as fair or unfair or good or bad as you think it is. it is true that ppl don't say "damn, life is fair", but this is like another common expression: "its a small world." its 6 billion people small. for every time you think 'its a small world' you will see 100 people you don't know, but you don't bother thinking that 'its a big world.' when life is fair, people think everything is right, not that life is fair. When something happens that is fair, like you get paid the correct amount for doing your job, you don't think anything of it and move on.

but who gets to decide what is fair? how is anyone short of a divine presence suppose to know all sides to an issue? Maybe the solution was the fairest possible but with all the people involved, you got the short end of the stick.

fair is just an abstract concept. You can't attatch it to another abstract concept like life. we like to think life is fair and will try to make it more fair, but we all define fair differently. For example, the death penalty issue. some people think its fair to have it, others don't. Some people think that a pre-planned killing spree deserves the death penalty. Others don't. Realistically we can't have everyone thinking something is fair when they think fair means different things.

9. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

Is it?

I have a 16 yr old adopted niece, we'll call her "Liz". Daughter of a schizophrenic drug addict. Spent the critical formative years of her life being physically, sexually and emotionally abused when her mother and various "boyfriends" were around, starved and neglected when they weren't. Became a ward of the state of Rhode Island around the age of 6. Adopted, along with her older brother, by my altruistic (to a fault, perhaps) sister around the age of 11. Currently diagnosed with severe bipolar, attachment and post-traumatic stress disorders, sufficiently prone to fits of uncontrollable rage that she has to live in a state mental institution... the only place left here in MA that will attempt to care for her. My sister had to sue the state of RI to win even this for her. At times you can see the human being underneath the mental scarring and heavy drug therapy, but it fades in and out. She weighs in at about 250 lbs. as a combined result of side effects of her drug therapy and the abysmal diet program at her facility.

I used to subscribe the the "everyone has a chance with the hand they're dealt" mentality until I met this kid. I honestly don't know if she does.

10. Xynrx

Xynrx IncGamers Member

First off, let me say that that is depressing and sad indeed.

However, I do believe there is a difference between 'everyone has a chance' and 'your life is what you make it.'

The guy who died getting hit by a drunk driver didn't ask for it either, but it did happen.

Something bad can and will happen to you at some time(s), how salvagable depends on what degree the damage was.

11. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

I think Liz's case falls into the category of "your life is what someone else makes it".

The best hope for this kid IMO lies in whether she can reach the point where she understands that despite the damage done to her, ultimately it's up to her to crawl up from the wreckage or not. But she's not even close. She may not make it there at all, and I just don't see how one can blame *her* for not making it to that point. That part isn't entirely up to her.

Sorry, but I find your views on this topic very complacent.

I have to go to bed now.

:howdy:

12. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

There are some circumstances no one can crawl up from. No matter what they do. Life is not always what you make it. Anyone who thinks so has lives a pretty sheltered life, IMO.

There are just some things that even your lucky rocketship underpants can't help.

13. CaptJoe213

CaptJoe213 IncGamers Member

With what has happened to that poor girl, it may not be possible to just 'pull herself out of it'. Not to mention the massive damage she has taken purely from the abuse in her life, she is also dealing with a severe mental illness. To say 'snap out of it' shows a bit of ignorance of her disorder. She cannot pull out of sever bipolarness, it is a physical problem with her brain, and something that may never improve, reguardless of her treatment plans, medications, or any other factors. There is no cure for bipolar, she will suffer with it for the rest of her life.

Now, it is not fair that she has been cursed with this disorder (and trust me, it is a curse). What did she do to deserve it, along with the other horrors of her life? It is both unfair, and unfortunate, and there is nothing she, nor anyone else, can do to change things for her now. If she is bipolar, there is nothing that could have ever been done. It is a chemical imbalance in the brain, in effect, same as being diabetic. Even if all precautions are taken, if you have either medical problem severely, they will come to be. This is not fair, it IS life, but not fair.

I truly believe that very few people in this world deserve to suffer. So many people end up doing so, however. I'm sure we can all think of someone we know that is a great person and has had things happen to them they dont deserve. I would truly be saddened for a person who didn't know such a person, since there are so many good people in this world. What these people go through is unfair. But, in my mind, unfair and unfortunate often turn out to be the same thing.

14. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Life isn't fair. So what? Some folks are born into abject poverty, and others are born with a silver spoon in their mouth. As someone already mentioned, my favourite analogy for life is a game of cards. God or the Great Pumpkin is dealing, and we all get to play.

What's in the cards? Who knows. You can always toss a few and get a couple new ones, but in the end you have to play the hand you got. Just remember that it's not what the cards are, but what you do with them. You should make your own destiny, not follow the path of another.

Yes, there may be more obstacles in your way than are in your neighbour's. Again, deal with it and move on. If you spend your life measuring yourself against others, you'll never be happy.