Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is it worth to change map?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by bassen, May 28, 2008.

1. bassen

bassen IncGamers Member

Is it worth to change map?

Hi

I have been running on this map quite a while. However LK nowdays almost dont drop any jewels or charms, at all....However I have this godly AT map (see link)

Ancient Tunnels Map

is it worth to change just to get another LK?

my LK chests are 1 teleport from the WP and there are also two camps lying near each other.. so both LK and AT are 1 TP from WP...

is it worth to change or shall I keep it?

2. Jaedhann

Jaedhann IncGamers Member

Re: Is it worth to change map?

A true great AT map is circular. Before i can judge your map i would have to see the map of the acient tunnels themselves.

[edit]Link only show the distance from WP to entrance AT.
    [edit2]Ohno, it shows more........just clicked to early, woops.
    [edit3]It's an average to good map. If your LK map is good aswell, don't reroll.

3. bassen

bassen IncGamers Member

hmm I dont quite undestand

however I forogot to says this, all the bosspacks there is is noramlly on the spaces I have marked so the other areas is often empty with only monsters without bosses

edit: didnt the link work?
    Edirt2 OT: AT dont give much either...which px is recomended?

4. Jaago

Jaago IncGamers Member

You could always build another sorc for LK runs if you can't part of that AT map and don't like her LK map.

5. bassen

bassen IncGamers Member

ok, I think I'll save this one then, but now to a following question "AT dont give much either...which px is recomended?" and is it just bad luck that the superchests in LK no longer drops charms/jewels? before it droped 2-3 charms each run, now to get 2 charms I have to do about 5 runs xD =P so I think I'll focus on AT instead...still px?

6. Jaedhann

what the heck do you mean with "px"?

7. bassen

bassen IncGamers Member

px = players where x is number =P i like math :rolleyes:

8. Jaedhann

Running only for drops = P1
    Running for drops and XP = P3/P5 (depending on killingspeed)
    Running for XP, with the ocasional drop on the side = P8

9. bassen

bassen IncGamers Member

whats the difference between 1 & 3 & 5?

I know there are a few things but the two only things I a bit sure of is the no-drop thing and the experience

Edit:

the experince points, but isnt there anything affecting number of items? like the bosses? baal drops max items at p3 ndf so on? but by maxing the items there was another kind of effect...or...hmmm I dont really know what I'm talkin about here, I've think Ive read something similar before, thats why I asked hehe

Edit2: I know were I have seen similar info, the runeguide

it waws something by raise the players the monter easier drop more items, but the chance of getting higher tc's lowers by raiseing numbers...right?

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  10. Jaedhann

What would you think the difference will be?

11. muzzz

muzzz IncGamers Member

Quoting this here just to put the following in context.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: you need to sit down and take the time to read those "way too long" thingies that perfectly explain everything you're asking about and then some.

You've implicitly and explicitly made clear that you're not even willing to make an attempt at finding the answer yourself. Asking other people to spend precious time doing it for you is just plain rude this way.

12. bassen

bassen IncGamers Member

First I wanna make clear to you I do search (at least I'm still trying), tried forum and google (never been good with google tho, but nowdays I sometimes find my answer, most times not). So give me a tip how to make an effective search instead of bark (wrong word, cant find the similar one I looking for) on me :rolleyes:, cause I'm for sure can admit I'm lousy at that.

For example the following question I had in this thread. How do I make an effective search when it comes to subject AT and number of players? That's one I need to learn/know when I think about it and when I've learned that I might be able to actually find the answers.

For the time you refer my quote I did that time find a thread but I didnt knew what to do with it, often still don't (so how to sort things out when a biggue like tht shows up? There must be some way to seperate posts that not fit the subject). Guess it's a new whole world out here once yoiu get to know "how to use the search properly". A wird thing is that when it comes to school I never have hard time finding stuff, hmm what's the difference?

I hope this clear a bit from my point of view.

By the way, it's not so funny to create all those question threads for simple questions (not only does it make me look like an idiot I feel like one, wont be able to do anything myself), but what should I have done, not learn?

13. Jaedhann

You could always post in the question thread, instead of making a new post. This thread is there for the tiny questions.

And regarding drop and player settings, see the atma drop calculator on different playersetting, see how much time it takes to run the AT on those settings, do the math.

14. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Bassen I know I owe you a PM .... tomorrow I promise. I edited a bit of what you wrote so it was easier for me. Sorry.

It's a matter of style. I tend to kill everything, others hit the boss, check drops and run. If you want to kill everything to to where there are plain monsters, if you only want to hit bosses, stick to the dots.

It's luck. Some days you'll be tripping over gems other days nothing. That's why persistance pays off.

AT doesn't give much what? Player settings .... what Jae wrote.

Experience
    No drop chance
    Monster health

I have no clue. It's maths. Anyone?

I confess I am also guilty of this. I know it is easier to shout "Help" than work it out. But you are reading *something* to have a general grasp of the mechanics (IE the no-drops chance above). One thing I found really surprising was the number of guides/threads on the same subject and often covering different ground.

I'll give you an example:
    Hrus's MF Guide is without doubt a tremendous piece of work. It has fully researched information with mathmatical explanations. It fully explains tcs, Ilevels, alevels, mlevels etc. It confused the hell out of me.
    I found Nightfish's MF Oddballs easier and I will generally link to it first along with the other guides.
    Check any MF sorc guide and depending on what guide you get you'll have discussions on FCR, FHR, MF, soloing ubers, key running, pit running, AT running, Baal etc etc
    Same topic, different focus. Some will be complex and too detailed for your needs, others not.

Firstly you need to be specific as to what your question is. Secondly lose the shortened versions of what you want. Computers are stupid and won't guess. GIGO (garbage in garbage out).

Forum Search
    Has issues. You can't search for short words; if you are going to use it *always* use the advance search. Reduce your search to the Single Player Forum if you are likey to get a lot of results.

Google
    Nine times out of ten I will use this *unless I know who made a thread* and then I might go for the forum search.

Use the advance search in Google *OR* always add site:forums.diabloii.net into the search bar along with your search terms. That takes information only from this site. It's worth noting that it will also look in the forum archive. There's some great stuff buried in there it just isn't as easy to find.

When displaying the Archive, google displays the page of headers. That can take a bit of guesswork to find the right thread. Start with CTRL-F and put a word in the search bar.

Bassen I am constantly amazed by your - and other non-Native English speakers' ability to discuss these not easy topics on the forum. But I confess that sentance made my head spin. More sleep tonight. :grin:

You need to be specific, detailed and *willing to try alternative phrases*.

Put this into a Google search:
    site:forums.diabloii.net best number of players to run at

Not bad. But at is a word not just ancient tunnels. So try this in google:
    site:forums.diabloii.net best number of players to run ancient tunnels

Slightly different, eh? And this result is pretty good.

You need to think background info not just exact answer to question.
    Other similar searches:
    site:forums.diabloii.net best for drops run ancient tunnels
    site:forums.diabloii.net players drops run ancient tunnels
    site:forums.diabloii.net no drops ancient tunnels

Each set of results come with the url and a brief bit of information. I tend to open things in a new window so I can quickly look at them without losing my search.

A lot of it is patience and some of it is actually remembering threads. That comes with hanging around a bit.

Yes and no. It's fine if it's "where do I find a 4os Monarch". A: Trade forum, area ilvel over something with zero MF and a laz quest but some questions may seem simple and aren't. My concern with using the Questions Thread is that some potientially interesting topics get buried in it.

What Jae is saying is that generally speed > MF. If you can run the AT faster with more MF and/or at higher player settings, fine. If you can't then increase kiling speed to compensate for MF. I'm sure the MF Guides say it better than me.

And never forget my bookmarks!. :smiley:

EDIT: I think I've completely ignored the title topic when giving search examples and focused on number of runs. Hopefully you got the idea though.

15. RIP

RIP IncGamers Member

As another non - Native English speaker i can tell, that its no so easy work sometimes to explain, what i have in my mind :rolleyes:
    And this means i feel great respect to You and to majority of Native English speakers here on the forum (for Your patience with us) :thumbsup:

Even my nickname is missleading :rolleyes:

Back to the topic...

@Bassen:I think somebody described Your situation greatly, when he/she said that You need to be more patient, just keep in mind that MFing is about endless hours of running, not about one, two or few dozens of runs...

16. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Bassen, If you got at least 4 bosspacks on average on that small piece of AT map, I would call that a good map and wouldn't reroll it. From what you described, your LK map is even better. Don't reroll the map just because you don't get any goodies in LK now. You will allways have streak of bad luck and that's not dependant on the map.

17. muzzz

muzzz IncGamers Member

I'm not faulting you for failing to search, or for having questions about the AT. But I still don't believe you really did try to search for info on /playersX, in any decent way. Previous experience plus the fact that your question made it painfully clear that if you did search, not a single valid point managed to get across.

The effects of the /players command are very well documented. Many places even have nice and simple versions of it. Don't get telling me that you seriously tried to read at least two MF guides and managed to get out with such a bad understanding of the /players command, no-drop, and item generation in general.

At any rate, let's assume for a second that you did try to read through all of Hrus' MF Guide and the Item Generation Tutorial in statistics. If you did, the correct way to ask a drop related questions would be "Hey, I tried to find <insert question here> in the IGT, but couldn't really find it. I think it should be in <paragraph X>, but <sentence Y> isn't really making sense to me. Can someone explain that part?"

I should probably make these my last words on the subjects, lest I cross any boundaries that shouldn't be crossed. So let's answer one of the questions, just to be good :wink3:

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "affect the numer of items dropped by bosses". A higher /players settting lowers no-drop, which results in many monster dropping more items, if that's what you mean. /players has no effect on a monster's relative chance to drop from a certain TC.