Is it worth risking a solo Tristram?

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
Is it worth risking a solo Tristram?

So, I've had a couple of organ sets collecting dust for a while, and - since I couldn't trade them for anything other than high runes (which disappear too quickly) - I figured I might as well get a Hellfire Torch out of them. Thing is I don't know if it's worth trying to do it solo, especially with this build only wearing Dracul's Grasp and no Exile. Now, I have several Torches, I know how to keep myself calm and cool, but I haven't done it in a while and I never did it by myself; I always had a backup, specifically a zookeeper.

What are the first things people forget when Tristram farming?
Are the organs worth more without trying for a Torch?
Is it better to Tristram level before getting the Torch?
Should I DISO Exile/able shield first?

WebDragon

Diabloii.Net Member
What are the first things people forget when Tristram farming?
Are the organs worth more without trying for a Torch?
Is it better to Tristram level before getting the Torch?
Should I DISO Exile/able shield first?
The biggest slips that people encounter when running tristram are:

1. Opening portals on top of each other by transmuting while standing in the same spot.

2. Not staying in the game long enough to make sure its permed/stable.

3. A long shot here, not putting a password.

As for the organs, usually an unided torch will go for more than an organ set, so if you can run tristram, you're better off getting the torch and trading it unided.

You shouldn't bother trying to level in tristram unless you have a bunch of trustworthy people to help you set it up, which can be a pain.

Exile helps, but it isn't needed. Assuming this is softcore, just rejoin if you die and keep it at. With draculs, your chances of dying are minimal anyway.

Bjam

Diabloii.Net Member
I have only ever done Tristram solo, with the exception of helping others or letting friends tag along for the show (so it was actually harder), and I've never died.

There are a few important rules to follow.

1) Absolutely make sure the game is permed before opening the portal. If you die, you want to be able to recover your body and keep trying.

2) Absolutely get yourself a lifetap wand on switch. This will do more to reduce risk of an untimely death than anything else.

3) Can you solo the mini-ubers? If you have trouble with these guys, I don't like your chances.

4) Emergency rescue. Have a friend available if the need arises. Actually, I have a Paladin that can do Uber-Tristram with absolute ease. He is my rescue party when I'm trying a new character vs. the Ubers (remember rule #1). My Druid and Necro both struggled on their initial attempt and he bailed me out to save the torch.

You probably already know the basic mantra of resists, CB, lifetap, and AR (druid/barb), but what the heck there they are again. Other than that, just make sure you have a good plan of attack and the equipment to back it up. If you give more info on your character I can get a pretty good feel for his chances.

[EDIT] One thing nice about Organs vs. Torches (as tradeable wealth) is that one character can hold as many sets as desired, but only one torch. So if you want something worth more than the value of a single torch, this may be of concern to you. It also keeps you from having to scatter your torches everywhere.

SmittySixTen

Diabloii.Net Member
I've done Uber Trist solo about five times now. The first time was just a nightmare, because I had no clue what to expect. I had all three brothers out and after me in a matter of a minute.

The next time was a little bit better, managed only to spawn meph and baal at once. From there, the runs got progressively easier as I learned how exactly to handle each Uber, as well as a basic idea on how you spawn each of them. It's one of those things that you just need practice with, I think. Also, I use a Royal Sanc and it gets the job done, so exile really isn't mandatory.

One thing that I'm still trying to completely figure out is how each Uber is triggered. I'm able to go slow and make sure that only one comes after me at a time, but if someone knows exactly what causes each to appear it'd help out a bunch.

Bjam

Diabloii.Net Member
I have always been able to isolate Mephy first by going straight up to the top, all the way to the left, then half-way down, then creeping toward the center until I get him, then retreating slightly for a solo fight. After that it's easy, but FYI, I go all the way down, half-way to the right, then up. I almost always get just Diable or Baal.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
If you approach from the top, the chances are quite big that one of the übers runs into a house and it can be tough to get in or to get him out of there when their minions block the way to them. Better approach from the left bottom. That's also far enough away from the portal, just in case something happens, else the portal might get surrounded by the minions.

You don't need Exile. HoZ+Grief+Guillaume's+Dracul's+Goreriders+CoH+res charms on a smiter are fine and it's possible with lesser gear as well, although the less res you have, the lower your chances are not to die from time to time. CB does the job, the regular damage is just for leeching and a quicker finish when the über is down to a sliver. As long as your regular damage is enough to heal from a single hit while lifetapping, damage doesn't matter. HoZ+Wizzy+fanaticism might be enough for that, but a big damage weapon helps more versus the minions.

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
I've done it with alma negra, I've heard of people doing it with spirit. So you really don't need exile.

ael

Diabloii.Net Member
Rule nr.1: make sure the portal doesnt get blocked by minions. Because then your screwed. Sometimes you can tele(if you have eni) right after you enter the portal, but 99% of blocked portal trist games are screwed.

Actualy I think trist can be done with dracs, about 50 crushing blow and enaugh res to reach 75 in hell. Nothing else is needed.

buttershug

Diabloii.Net Member
I've been playing self-found and solo.
I don't have dracul's.
I have a wand with life tap, and I have Guillame's(sp)
I have an umed stormshield monarch.
I have duress armor.

Would I have a chance?

RequiemDeath

Diabloii.Net Member
I've been playing self-found and solo.
I don't have dracul's.
I have a wand with life tap, and I have Guillame's(sp)
I have an umed stormshield monarch.
I have duress armor.

Would I have a chance?
No... You'll need more resists... I would try to find a nice 3 or 4 socket pally shield with some good base resist, and add p diamonds to it... Also, try to get a good 3 socket flail, and make a Black rune word... More CB never hurts... That, and an amulet with good resists, or some other good mods will help bunches...

*Requiem_Death

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
To stop the health regeneration, you mean? Poison damage won't work? Or are they all immune?

WebDragon

Diabloii.Net Member
To stop the health regeneration, you mean? Poison damage won't work? Or are they all immune?
They're not immune, but OW lasts longer and deals more damage. Poison is inferior to OW in this regard. I think it has something to do with them having huge PLR.

No matter how much damage you're doing, if you've seen them regenerate before, then you'll realize that all that's letting them take damage is that OW is working. If it ever runs out, one miss on your part could see a third of their health regenerated.

RequiemDeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Agreed... I forgot about OW... However, having hit them with OW, and then poison really hurts them... This insures that they will not be regenerating life anytime soon... At least not before you beat the crap out of them...

*Requiem_Death

BananaPancakes

Diabloii.Net Member
maybe you can wait for a friend you trust to aleast be on b.net first. and then attempt to do trist and if you can't handle it whisper your buddy.

everyone has some good points and i wanna add that i agree exile is not needed as long as you have a source of lifetap at all.

also, you're on east ladder right? feel free to whisper me anytime if you need help. i have a frenzy barb with beast/death and draculs. /w *nahhh

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
What you're all missing is that Poison doesn't carry with Smite. A Fury wolf/Frenzy Barb/whatever will benefit from Poison as a PMH source. The actual poison damage doesn't matter. For that reason, any poison of more than 8 seconds is superior to OW.

WebDragon

Diabloii.Net Member
What you're all missing is that Poison doesn't carry with Smite. A Fury wolf/Frenzy Barb/whatever will benefit from Poison as a PMH source. The actual poison damage doesn't matter. For that reason, any poison of more than 8 seconds is superior to OW.
Yep. That was it. I knew there was a problem with poison, but I couldn't remember what it was. Thanks.

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
Smiting with Grief should take care of everything, in this case. Open wounds isn't a problem, and when zealing the poison works, too. I'm not a newbie, this is the Exemplar build I've been working on: Sacrifice (20), Smite (20), Holy Shield (20), Defiance (10), Redemption (7), Fanaticism (19), Zeal (4) and prerequisites (10). Of course, I'm roughly eight or nine points away from that maximum, and not planning on hitting CLvl99 with it.

Guillaume's Face/Andariel's Visage, Gore Rider, Shaftstop, String of Ears, Dracul's Grasp, Highlord's Wrath and Grief war spike (traded for) are the core gear, but I'm still short an Annihilus, offensive Exile and very nice rings/charms. I'm using Herald of Zakarum for the time being, for the resistances mostly, and eventually plan to hone this build into the guide I write for the Paladin section.