Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is it worth MFing NM baal?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Denzik, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Denzik

Denzik IncGamers Member

Is it worth MFing NM baal?

I find that it's really not that hard as a level 85 wolf druid to do NM baal over and over... it's a lot easier then wearing mf gear in hell where i sacrafice survival just to maybe get some good item once in a long time. So my question is... what sort of items could he drop? What about NM eldritch and Shenk? are they viable?

Just looking for some good things to trade and/or aquire for any future builds i may make.

2. Huntingtons

Huntingtons IncGamers Member

find the ilvl and TC and all that, then go find out ;)

3. foxnews

foxnews IncGamers Member

oo ooo, i know!

...really depends what kind of stuff you need. Are you looking for good mid lvl items? like arreats, gaze and stuff around the 1-60 lvl requirement type items? because you will get mostly those from nm baal. Or you looking for stuff that trades well? like HOZ, shako, etc etc.. Trying mfing in the pits in a1 of hell.. You'll find less stuff, but it's worth the extra time and effort. Andariel in hell is ok too.. she drops shako's frequently.. also found a few HOZ from her also.

4. leesh

leesh Guest

NM baal can drop HOZ, Shako, all the exceptional uniques and few elite ie:Shako.

5. Denzik

Denzik IncGamers Member

Thank you all that posted.the information is greatly appreciated... If i can find all of that off of Nightmare, then my survival rate will be greatly helped. :thumbsup:

6. Singollo

Singollo IncGamers Member

nm baal is better for finding items like hoz and shako then hell andy, he drops them tc lvls better, witch are tc 51 and tc 60. but if you are looking the really nice elites from say tc87 the pit is where you want to be

7. foxnews

foxnews IncGamers Member

thanks for the clarification. As for me, just talking out of my (_Y_), since I only do hell mf runs, and just speaking from what I've found in Hell Andy. ^^ Not as much luck in Baal drops in any difficulty for me.

8. AFBrat

AFBrat IncGamers Member

In 1.09 NM Baal had the best chance in the game to drop Gaze, Travellors, Skullders, HOZ, you know the great things in TC's 51 and 54. I think he also has the best chance in game to drop Nord's Tenderizer, while he can also drop a smattering of other elite uniques (he's dropped Demon Limb and Bonehew for me).

Still, I think its probably better to do NM Diablo runs, as they are likely much faster for your character. That was my fav MF spot in 1.10 for exceptional uniques. He doesn't drop any elite uniques, but great relative chance at above mentioned exceptionals. Diablo can drop nearly every Exceptional unique except a couple like Courpsemourn and hmmm...not sure. He can drop Jalals Mane and Crown of Thieves, neither of which NM Meph can drop. He also has a much much better chance than Meph to drop Arreats Face and Homunculous. His path to get to is more predictable than Baal's and you don't have to fight any surprise monsters like Gloams. Though you will have to fight Oblivion Knights, you likely would in Worldstone also.

9. Denzik

Denzik IncGamers Member

There's a bunch of stuff mentioned everything like HOZ, Travellors, Skullders, shako, etc. if they can be dropped by Baal that's what i'm aiming for. :thumbsup: In terms of NM Diablo... As a Fury Werewolf... Yes i will be facing the blasted oblvion knights with the most evil curse known to the melee character, Iron Maiden. The thing is... I'd have to kill almost everything in the Chaos Santuary to even get to diablo... For NM baal... i've found it possible to just hold down the left mouse button and Run... run, like the wolf i am until i find the stairs. If i happen to find them in the Throne Room. I'll just run past them until i'm right infront of Baal... Then it becomes a game of picking them off one by one. I can deal with about 10 oblivion knights where as when i have to face around 50 in act 4. That's a lot safer.

However it seems that many highly valued tradeables can be found off of NM Baal and Hell Andy. Hell andy i've found is also pretty easy. Although i did her a lot and never got anything more than a raven frost ring with +20 Dex.

It brings me back to i think my first question if nm Baal is good for MF, what about Eldritch and Shenk?

10. Hoyunah

Hoyunah IncGamers Member

I really think that you should jus do Hell pit runs. It shud be easier to do that then nm baal and much much better drops.
    In regards to your question about shenk/eld vs. nm baal gotta know if its nm or hell.
    If its hell yea i would do it but nm i think its worth it more if u jus do nm baal runs

11. Denzik

Denzik IncGamers Member

Yes, i am aware of the wonderous items the hell pit can drop. My problem is inorder to get the full afftect of a pit runs, they're rather lengthy, and require me to wear MF gear. I'm a rather poor player so getting the expensive stuff isn't too easy. As a werewolf who wears 3 parts of Aldurs with the mf bonuses and chancies and other equipment like such... that leaves me VERY vulnerable in hell. If i wore my survival equipment (Full IK minus the helm) I'd tear through the pits. The problem is... there isn't enough MF on me inorder to get anything decent to drop :yawn:

As for Eldritch and Shenk? are there any plus sides to doing them in Nightmare vs doing them in hell?

12. leesh

leesh Guest

IMO i think the best way to start out on ladder is to grab yourself a cold elemental sorc and camp out hell andy and mephisto. To run the pits its alot easier to have a specialized character just for the pits as oppose to using a character which is well rounded because the specialized character will run the pits more efficiently. So bascially what it boils down to is camp out hell andy and mephisto until you aquire enough wealth to build a nice pit runner.

P.S. Some well rounded characters can run the pits fine, iam just saying that if you have a specialized character just for the pits it might be easier. My lvl 91 hammeridin can run pretty much go anywhere and do just fine but i think my specialized strafezon clears the pits alot quicker.

13. Denzik

Denzik IncGamers Member

Yeah, i've actually started another character. Since every other class has been played by my group of friends, i decided on a Javazon with Lightning and Poison skills. I figure it'll have to be faster than my wolf, while keeping a safe distance. Now, all i gotta figure out is where i should specialize her for... I was thinking cows might be the best. or even the pit/mephisto. unfortunately those black souls in the WSK are off limits. But Cows, Pit and Hell Andy... Should be good enough to me. Now the trick is getting her the right gear. Anyone else got some input?

14. AFBrat

AFBrat IncGamers Member

From my experience with my high-lvl Javazon, The Pit is a great place to run with that kind of character. There are not many LI's, only the archer rogues, which you can use Slow Missile on them and Jab them or whatever alternate-to-lightning method you had in mind.

15. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I agree. My lf / pj zon strolls through the Pit. I slap the archers with Slow Missle, hit 'em with a level 27 plague jav, and plink them with the windforce (found in the Pit, level 1, with only 25 MF) I have on weapon switch. They die refreshingly quickly, while the non-LI's crumble under LF.

If nothing else, you can use the gold you get from selling magical items for gambling. Plus, the Pit will actually get you some decent experience, which will help you in gambling.

Noodle

16. EBZeroMatrix

EBZeroMatrix IncGamers Member

Go to http://www.d2data.net for more info. on TC's and who can drop what in what difficulty...it's my bible for mf runs :)

17. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

i do shenk/pindle/eldritch for easy mf. with some chars i skip eldritch. the only tricky part is too many archers around eldritch or pindle's initial charge, or the random immunities.

18. steve2677

steve2677 IncGamers Member

Hehe soo noones really answered youre question. I fouknd at the start of 1.10 ladder nm baal/shenk/eldritch/pindle were the runs to do to get my resources up and my gear to what i wanted in hell. This was for my barbarian. At which point i went through hell got anya and did hell eldritch/shenk/pindle runs till i found out about pit runs.....DROOOOOOOL! From then on it was made sure that i include pit runs in my mf run. Nm baal though is a good source if using a fury wolf and if you manage to find some decent mf charms you could then strip that aldur stuff and use ik setup :D

P.S. Im not sure if i even answered youre question :O

19. Denzik

Denzik IncGamers Member

[To the person who posted the link and said it's their bible for MF: Thank you! I will take a look and hopefully it will help me as it did you. ]

Well, i wanted to do some MF runs in order to supply my zon with the proper equipment. However, i found it so pleasuringly enjoyable to actually play the zon than to mf for her. (The killing power of lightning fury is so fast compared to sitting there with the wolf and just leeching life eventually killing, but taking a long time.) So I stipped some mules and pulled some resources together and got me a titans, thundergods, etc. I'm building her up to do MF instead. She'll be heavily lightning however. I'll see if i can mix in some plague javies in there too.

Anywho given enough time she'll not need to do baal runs in NM, and she'll be just fine for running the pits. The valkrie and Merc and some jab should take care of lightning immunes and need be i'll find another source of damage other than lightning on a weapon switch.

The real question was... can anything good drop from shenk and eldritch in Nightmare?