Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is it worth it??

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Yochefguy, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Yochefguy

Yochefguy IncGamers Member

Is it worth it??

So I have a PVM hammerdin with the usual equipment:

HOTO
    Enigma
    Shako
    Spirit
    Maras
    Magefists
    Arachnid Mesh
    Treks
    SOJ
    Faster Cast Rate Ring
    Torch
    Anni
    CTA on the switch

This gives me a 12K Hammer damage.

My question is this....

Is it worth the large cost of these pally combat charms to increase my damage? Will it make that much of a difference?

2. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

Re: Is it worth it??

12k is pretty good. You will probably be able to add 2-3k more hammer damage with an inventory full of skillers. It is up to you whether or not it is worth it and depends you are doing with your Hammerdin. Solo mfing, sort of a waste. 8player games, you might see a difference.

3. Yochefguy

Yochefguy IncGamers Member

It is mostly for solo mfing. Thanks for the input. I like your avatar. Is that Dr. Who?:thumbup:

4. BAMFSpecialOps

BAMFSpecialOps IncGamers Member

There really is no point, once you hit the 10k mark you are fine.

5. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

No, it is Shane Macgowan, singer of the Pogues. He is European (Irish), though, so close enough.

6. Frostadin

Frostadin IncGamers Member

First off, it appears you have +15 skills, so assuming you have maxxed Blessed Hammer and all synergies you are doing about 10,062 - 10,164 hammer damage without BO. I'm assuming your Spirit is perfect, so you're hitting 167 casts per minute and about 1,863,400 total damage.

If you want to increase damage there are 3 routes that you could go:

#1 - Add Combat skillers: With 5 you would do about 11,841 - 11,943 damage per hammer. Takes up inventory and costs quite a bit.

#2 - Add Offensive Aura skillers: With 5 you would do about 11,042 - 11,154 damage per hammer. Boosting Concentration won't help Holy Shield, but you'll get much better bang for the buck as offensive skillers are dirt cheap.

#3 - If you are not at the 125% FCR, then swap your FCR ring to SOJ and swap your shield to HOZ: You would do about 11,346 - 11,450 damage per hammer plus boost your Holy Shield. This method outputs about 1,709,730 damage per minute and still allows you to add skillers. (I often run a Wizzy and Spirit on switch for 125% FCR teleporting and a HOTO & HOZ on switch for 75% FCR higher damage hammering)

Bottom line though as has been mentioned, once you hit 10K per hammer it's really all gravy. When I run hell cows IMO it seems to go faster to try and max damage my hammers, but honestly 10K hammers works almost as fast.

7. Kinky

Kinky IncGamers Member

In my opinion, even 10k is overkill for mf'ing.

My Hammerdin runs 8-9k damage @ 125fcr and does great solo mf'ing--even more so after they nerfed Minions of Destruction and Baal.

For optimal solo MF'ing with a Hammerdin, have you considered switching the HOTO for an Ist'ed Wizardspike, and slap on two Nagelrings? It's a small price to pay for a potential +90 MF.

-Kinky

8. Kinky

Kinky IncGamers Member

And also,
    most high TC areas do not require you to do so much damage--the earlier three acts take no effort at all for a Paladin of any kind rocking Enigma,
    and even up to the Chaos Sanctuary and WSK, you'll still have the advantage of the large number of Undeads who take extra damage from Blessed Hammer.

-Kinky

9. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

Wow. That's all I got. Nice Build!

10. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

made me smile.

11. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

With that nice a setup, I'm almost surprised you're asking ;)

When you take into account that they still let bh keep its resistance piercing ability, you don't really notice it until you have something to compare it to. I wanted to try using a bone necro for chaos since I hated aiming the hammers, but there is no denying the difference in damage.

Unless you regularly mf nearly full/full games, the difference between 10k and 15k won't appear, as most minions (if not all) should be under 10k base life, so effectively its only the higher hp (ie boss) that will be affected, tho a 10k vs 15k hammer on meph probably wouldn't be noticeable until you see the slowdown of having to store skillers in stash to pick up anything.

12. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

There is no use for pcombs on a pvm hammerdin. I see no reason for the demand of pcombs. Its plain rediculus because very few pallys should be in demand for a pcomb anyways. Best option is 20 life scs hands down since pcombs give a little bit of killing speed for a hammerdin.

13. SeCKSEgai

That a bit of an exaggeration. While most monsters are under 10k hp with one player, you fail to consider that hp scales up with more players. More players means more damage is needed to retain efficiency. Over time, slight improvements over killing speed add up - and with a game like d2 where repetition is everything, that's a lot to add up.

However, for the sake of general pvm, or single player pvm on bnet, they're "unnecessary" as they're cost prohibitive. As you're not dealing with scaled up HP, only the act bosses will see improved killing speed, and even then not by much.

14. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Still 12k hammer is more than enough damage for pvm. Its very important to get tons of life for hdin even in 8 pp games because monsters do hit hard. Plus there is no huge difference on how many hammers it takes to kill monsters. Only requires 1-2 more hammers in 8 pp games than a 1 pp game. But for act bosses im thinking around 3-5 hammers maybe even more. So tell me how much faster 15k hammer is than 12k hammer?

15. lexusSC

lexusSC IncGamers Member

9k hammer is fine also.. but thats my exact hdin gear works fine found some good stuff

16. SeCKSEgai

When it comes to regular monsters, they go down pretty quickly. However, with the HP boost, that does allow them to survive a hit or few, in which some monsters manage to get in between the regular hammer spam - then it's up to your merc or you having to move to adjust aim. There's a significant difference in run times between a player 1 and player 8 game (unless you stick to busting seals and seal bosses).

12k vs 15k vs bosses in a single player game won't be noticeable, but in a full game you should see it, although it won't be by much. Unless you run full or near full games regularly, the difference in speed won't be much of a factor.