Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by DemonSlayer, Mar 4, 2004.

1. DemonSlayer

DemonSlayer IncGamers Member

Is it worth it?

...ive decided to make a ranger....but ive heard things like, rangers suk or they dont kill in hell...somone tell me the truth....i play builds for fun and a challenge...not to become the "greatest mf sorc on b.net"....i play for fun...not competition...plz tell me what skills to max as a ranger and what equipment would be best...i dont have access to high end items like a wf or vamp gaze....i prefer to use what i can find...or use whats donated to me...any way....thanx for reading...and help!

2. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Snag ya one of those Demon Limbs you should do as well as an Enchantress I would think. Just remember to pick up some armros to sell to pay for those charges. I have no idea what lvl 23 charges are going to cost but it doesnt sound cheap!

3. hoyster

hoyster IncGamers Member

Well, the answer to your question is yes and no:

Yes, Rangers are alot of fun and definately a challenge

No, they aren't going to dominate hell solo (there are of course exceptions but only if you've got crazy good gear and even then it'll be rough)

That being said a ranger is great fun and can be extremely powerful through NM, you will lack the decoy and valkyrie of a rogue so you won't have as many meat shields there so play very defensively, as always in HC life and resists are paramount, on the plus side you don't need a crazy mad high damage bow (although they never hurt anyone) because you can use the holy shock or freeze (or fire if you like low power builds) to add damage to your attack, just max that skill out and its synergies.

Or you can go for a high damage bow and max fanaticism for the extra speed and damage and use one of the elemental auras as a PI killer.

AR can sometimes be an issue with rangers so if you can get a Kuko or other bow that always hits then that would definately help you out, evidentally there is a bow out there now that gives all classes guided arrow but if you're not rich then theres no need focusing on a particular item.

Knockback on your gloves or in your bow (nef rune) can be extremely helpful as well, i don't know the IAS breakpoints for bows and paladins off hand but i'm sure they're around this site somewhere, speed over damage with a ranger any day IMO.

You're probably going to want a merc that can tank for you, so act 2 and 5 mercs come to mind, although act 2 mercs are alot more useful with thier auras, defiance so the merc can tank better, might so you do more damage, blessed aim until you can get the nightmare mercs to make up for AR problems through normal, a HF merc if you decide to go holy shock instead of holy freeze (the longer it takes a monster to reach you the better your chances of killing it before it hurts you, and its always nice to slow down those deadly ranged attackers of 1.10).

Best of luck with your ranger

4. DemonSlayer

dude...buildin a ranger....uses bows....demonlimb is a mace (not sure).....

5. DemonSlayer

thanx...now with that in mind.... ill max...fanat....and probably holy freeze...now....what should i name him?....*goes to a random website in hopes of finding a sutible name*

6. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

A single charge is 10K-11K gold. Last 11 minutes. Money well spent, IMO. I mean, if I am boosting myself through normal 120-150 fire damage is almost as good as 1200-1500, and a lot easier to get. I also use it on my zerk barb to boost his AR. (Takes it from 6K to 9K, give or take). I would like to make a power-enchantress though, because it seems so cool!

EDIT: Stinger meant for you to carry a demonlimb in your stash or weapon switch to give you an extra edge. The enchant persists after you take the weapon off.

7. DemonSlayer

o my bad....thanx for clearing that up

8. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Those people who say that rangers "suk" should put down their keyboard and mouse right now and slap themselves upside the head multiple times. 1.10 difficulty is still a joke and even builds like a ranger can be played effectively with some decent sense of aiming and strategy.

9. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

Leylan posts?!

Ohmy goose!...

Rangers are fun, they won't eviscerate hell, but they'll do decent, espescially with all the synergies. I suggest a good ole widowmaker, that or a kuko.

10. BreakThruX

BreakThruX IncGamers Member

One question...wtf is a ranger? :)

11. BaNiSeR

BaNiSeR IncGamers Member

a paladin who uses a bow

12. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

I would suggest going with a fully synergized Holy Shock rather than Fanaticism, especially since you won't have very good gear. You can rely on your aura skill dmg rather than your bow dmg to kill for you.

20 Holy Shock
    20 Resist Lightning
    (brings your max lightning resist to 85%... mmm, gravy)
    20 Salvation (optional)

Then you can either turn yourself into a sort of hybrid Cleric (Holy Bolt + Prayer to heal your Merc and party members) or max Fanat if you still want, or max Cleansing and Sanctuary to lay waste to all undead foes, or even max Fist of the Heavens and Conviction as a secondary attack (kinda useless though since you're already dealing out plenty of lightning dmg). It's rather open-ended. Just make sure you have fun with it.

13. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

check out the pali forum... they have a HUGE section on rangers... they must have a cult of rangers over there.

granted its sc, but most of it is pretty good