Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

is it that hard to find..

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by red_devil, Mar 24, 2004.

1. red_devil

red_devil IncGamers Member

is it that hard to find..

hi guys.. couple of newb qns here

my level 44 sorc suck at elemental resistances... mainly because i made my charachter to have high MF, mana regen and mana.. now i wanted to get a trisocketed shield to put the 3 runes i got from the act V quest(normal) as it gives around +40 to all resistances.. the thing is im in end of act I nightmare now and yet to find it.. last time i played DII couple of years ago my barb found one in no time.. this is really weird.. and now that im in NM my resistances suck even more.. is there any specific way i can get this one.. or any place where ill have good chance of finding one.. or am i got to resort to hack and mass kill and hope for the best..

i really dont want to change the setup of my sorc apart from shield and probably gloves right now.. cos my MF is working very good and got a good number of set and unique items.. are there any charms out there that boosts all resistances?? most of the charms i hve give indiv resitance boosts and they give something like 7 or 8% which suck..

:buddies:

2. bradley_turner

bradley_turner IncGamers Member

try doing some normal cows, theres plenty of monsters in the moo moo farm just waiting to be slaughtered mercilessly, i had the same problem on my last char that made it to act5 normal, i found the shield in like act 4 nm, after id already found a better shield ;)

3. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo IncGamers Member

I would get a normal socket shield and put Pdiamonds in it if all you need is resistances. 3 PDiamonds = 57 resist all vs 40. plus some shields can come with more than three sockets. If you can't find a socket shield buy a normal one and get the guy in Act 5 to socket it for you if you haven't already use it. Be prepared, I beleive he gives max sockets possible so if you are only looking for three it may not be best to use him.

4. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

well a tip is to go and shop for some 3 sockeded shields shouldnt take you that long.

of course it take much longer time to get a 3 sockeded shield with good blocking.

but if you play no block then thats no problem

5. red_devil

seems logical to me.. ive got couple of pdiamonds.. i am betting on myself getting couple more before getting a 3 or 4 socketed shield.. i definitely need more resistances before i can reach act V..

as for cow run.. ive done it and all i got was a bisocketed one.. but i did get a fair share of uniques and sets though.. :drool:

and my rotten luck is that shops didnt have 3 socketed ones whenever i tried.. i once tried going out of the pand fortresss and coming back to check if there was any 3 socketed shield.. idve probably done it 50 times.. but no luck.. :grrr:

6. phaedrus

phaedrus IncGamers Site Pal

Try shopping Fara in Act 2. She frequently has 3 socket kites and scutums. I doubt it will take you more than 10 tries.

7. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo IncGamers Member

I just had a thought. Could it be your MF equipment actually foiling you?

To have sockets it would have to be normal, superior, ethernal, or magical right? Well with high MF on maybe you are getting too high of items so that you are getting too few of the mentioned items to see sockets?

8. red_devil

:clap: thanks m8..

i got it.. went back to normal and tried it with fara.. must have been around 7th or 8th try.. i got a tri scoketed kite shield.. ill try some more and get a 4 socketed shield for my pdiamonds..

@johnny.. no it was just my luck.. i kept on getting tri socketed clubs and axes and everything else except the shield..

9. zelfmoordis

zelfmoordis IncGamers Member

Actually Johnny was right!

More mf means more Magical, unique or set items which in turn causes less normal or socketed items to drop..

Go Johnny!

:wave:

:edit: ps: You cant shop for a 4 socketed shield in normal, nor early nm iirc..

10. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

It has to be normal or Superior to make the runeword with the sockets. They may want to get a magic/rare with 2 or more sockets from the prefixes artistans, jewelers, or mechanics. Rares with two sockets can be quite good with 2 pdiamonds. But if they just wants a ralorttal shield they can buy socketed shields in act 2 and act 3 of norm fairly easily it will take some in and out of town trips to get one with 3 sockets but it is pretty doable. Moser's blessed circle with 2 pdiamonds or 2 Um runes, if you are lucky enough to have them, will make it quite a nice shield for resistances; 69 with two Um's.

11. red_devil

uh uh.. :scratch:

anyway thanks for your ps comment.. probably saved my time..

and @uzziah.. the highest rune ive got so far is shael.. anyway pdiamonds arent that bad.. just 3% lesser and lot easier to get than ums.. :buddies:

12. red_devil

one question though.. for runewords you said it had to be normal or superior.. does that mean i cant do it with any magical shield i get from merchants.. :scratch:

13. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Afraid so - the name has to be grey in order for a runeword to work. Since the last time you'll see non-magical items on sale is Normal Act 2 (unless you're waaay too low level), you will need to hunt carefully.

The main way I boost my character's resists is with charms, since it's usually not too tricky to grab these. Only problem is you run out of inventory space rather quickly.

Good luck with shield-hunting... :)

14. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Nope Runewords may only be made with "white" or "grey" items that have exactly the number of sockets as the Runes needed for those sockets. Ie TirRal known as leaf must be made in a staff with 2 sockets and the staff's name must be either "white" or "grey". The item used may be etheral, normal, superior, or superior etheral; and must contain sockets. Staff mods however do not effect the ability for an item to become a runic item, one with a runeword.

See diabloii.net or Arreat Summits websites for runewords it's described fairly indepth. The magical prefix or suffix runeword is in my opinion the #1 mistake when attempting to make runewords.

Edit: To use "white" items requires the act 5 quest to socket items.

15. red_devil

thanks for your input guys.. :buddies: