Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is it raining in your head?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by k10wn, Feb 5, 2004.

1. k10wn

k10wn Banned

Is it raining in your head?

You guys...
    Ya know...I try valiantly to defend battle net and this network and this community in the face of all the Evercrack and Quakers who harp on the security and stability issues that seem to plague diablo players.

I mean, it really is quite amazing what has been established here...and with the enormity of such an undertaking, it is impossible not to expect flaws of some nature...and every once in a while, it can be expected that there might be a fairly significant bug or general issue.

And it should be understood that while the admins and employees at Blizzard are putting forth tremendous effort to keep this realm functional there is a far greater number of equally talented people working against them to create maphacks and duped items and general flaws in the system (I debated using the word 'talented' to describe these folks, because it really isn't synonymous with '*******'. However, I decided that skill and personality are not in the same ballpark).

However, in the past couple of days, there has been a significant number of issues that I have heard general complaints of and experienced myself. Chief amongst them is the general connectivity situation. I would fault my ISP if it didn't seem to plague such a large number of users. What's bizarre is the fact that I will be unable to join games a specific CHARACTER in my account for extended periods (ten minutes at a time). When I lose connection to a room (usually in the middle of something important) with my main character right now, he will remain unable to join OR CREATE games for upwards of 15 minutes. But I can backtrack and do either of these things with ANY of the other characters on my account. Even if I reboot my machine and reset my modem, he alone will remain unable to play in any level game on the realm, but my ALL my other accounts and characters will remain functional. It is not limited to him however. My friend told me yesterday of the exact same situation occuring to him three times in a session.

A search of the forums and the ever useful tech support chat rooom on the server yield no reasons for this occurence (aaaahh...the tech support chatroom...has there actually EVER been any tech support people in there??? Or even an employee of Blizzard in general??). But a general poll of the rooms seemed to reveal the problem is not isolated to my friend and I alone.

Yesterday (Jan. 4, 2004), within a two hour period, two rooms I was in announced they would be 'shutting down in five minutes.' I left both to make new games and seemed to remedy the problem briefly. Of course, 10 minutes after the second incident I ran into the aforementioned (character block) problem. The night before, the real went down for a while, but there was no explanation of what the reason was on any forum or in any area of the blizzard world (this happens quite regularly actually).

Now it seems the game in general has gone faulty with the seals in Act IV becoming generally inactive...this results in tons of wasted time as you don't find out until the very end that getting to Diablo is impossible.

Please don't perceive this post as a slight on the game or company in general...nor should it be construed as an attempt to flame the people who run the network.
    What I'm trying to suggest is that Blizzard put a little more effort into informing the general gameplaying public of what the situation is. If I log in to find the realm is down, I should be able to come to THIS very forum and find a blurb about the reason why..even if it is for only five minutes. If there's some explanation, I would be totally at peace with the situation, and spend a lot less time logging in to no avail. Honestly, I don't even care WHY the realm has to go down if there's a reason...whatever the reason may be, if I know it, I can accept it. You could post that the realm is down from 10:00 to 10:08 PM because the head honcho has to use the bathroom and I'll be content.
    And someone please explain what's going on. When people encounter a serious gameplay issue like the current one with the seals in Act IV and there should be an immediate response. Just HEARING something about it from someone at Blizzard let's me know that you're aware of it and MIGHT be doing something about it in the near future.

Come on guys...throw us a bone here....I shell out all this cash to play here (initial game purchase, ISP, computer hardware, etc.) and more important, I dedicate a great deal of my time (for something that, for the most part, doesn't do much to further my career goals) to this network, I only ask that you take a little time to let me know what's up. Hell, I'm sure there are plenty of qualified players out there who would be willing to sign on as VOLUNTEERS at Blizzard just to post general info on what's going on, or help write/read code to thwart hackers and dupes. I certainly would donate my time to the cause. I don't think it would be asking to much of a hardcore gamer to redirect a portion of gameplay time to help keep the game environment stable and cheat-free and keep general game players abreast of what's going on...

As Always,

k10wnsta

2. spellegren

spellegren IncGamers Member

This happens to everyone I believe. If you are in a game and the game goes down (ie you recieve a CONNECTION INTERRUPTED screen) then your character (and any other character that was in that game) is stuck in that game. Why? Because the game is not resolved on the server side. If you bring in another character and try to create a game with the same name as the one that crashed you will get a "Game already exists with that name" message, if you try to join that game you get "Game does not exist" etc. That game is in server limbo, as are any characters that were in that game. It takes ~15 minutes for the server to recognize the inactivity in the game and resolve it, thus freeing your character from the limbo. /Shrug

Server side software glitches occur, sometimes often, D2 is a free service so a lot of these things go unresolved and/or unfixed. When this happens to me I bring in another character or go take a 15 minute break from the computer, or surf the web for awhile.

While this can be frustrating, you get what you pay for. Heh, some pay-to-play MMORPG's have similar problems.

3. 694095

694095 IncGamers Member

I understand your postion in support of Blizzard, and agree. Communication is important, but some of the things you think should be stressed is rather unjustifed.

The "lock character" is actually a security measure, closing a backdoor when people lag, from your statement above, something you shouldnt be too awfully bothered by. However when you have servers shuting down, there is of course less processor power to support the realm compleatly. Hence lagging people and dropping them, leading to the security feature. Blizzard has always said they know about this "connectivity issue". Ever wonder why?

Common lag, backtracking and trying again usually works quite well. Unimportant yes, but you brought it up.

If the Realm is acutally down, they tell you. Most "Realm Down" issues are just caused by connectivity issues on overworked servers, or when servers are being cycled. People will still be playing on the realm, but some people who are signing on may have to try several times, or try back later in order to connect. Heavy traffic is not a viable posting on a server network that sees varying levels of heavy traffic 24/7. Such postings would never come off the web site.

For all of you all, if you want to know why you have this problem with lag, call up your neighbor and ask him to turn off his hacks. ;)

4. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

Very well spoken. It is merely imperfection made by imperfection, coupled with lack of reliable/continuous income to support perfection.

5. BartXeno

BartXeno IncGamers Member

No! Pandora! Don't open that-

-box.
    Too late. LOL

Now you have to know someone is going to come along and say there's no such thing as a free lunch and the cost of the servers is included in the cost of the game. (You may not know this because they don't mention it on the package, but the box the game comes in is free too, that's why I threw mine away.) Seriously, Bliz can say it's free all they want, but the fact is that since you can't (legally) play on the realms without paying for the game, it's not really free. Like the "free" toy in a cereal box - if you try to take it out in the store and not buy the cereal everyone gets all upset. "But it's free! It says so right on the box!", I try to explain...

That said, they have supported this game (albeit marginally at times) for quite awhile and it is still fun to play. The wait for 1.10 was absurd, but they didn't have to do that and the changes are pretty cool. I've definately gotten my money's worth, and I don't mean the "free" part. Even with the recent batch of irritating problems I'm still happy with the game. Screwing around and "fixing" what isn't broken on the other hand is not acceptable. For the record:
    Fixing the cast rate bug with Trang's set = Good (how about working on this?)
    "Fixing" Chaos Sanctuary so one can't spawn Diablo = Bad

6. spellegren

spellegren IncGamers Member

Well I've been playing on and off since D2 Classic came out. That's like 4 years ago?

My account has been active the whole time, even if I was taking a break from the game. To keep your account open on a pay-to-play mmorpg you need to pay the monthly fee, so in that regard..... For my initial $80 investment (D2+LOD) and ~48 months of service I paid $1.66 (or $.055 a day) for each month of service and the software was free, if you want to look at initial purchase paying for the servers.

Also keep in mind that price decreases for each month I maintain an active account. Now I recently bouht a new copy of D2 and LOD for my wife, bargain bin $15.95, wow yeah, that maintains a server network real well.

Blizzard has more then lived up to their end of the bargain IMHO, and I am amazed that content is still being added and there is still some level of maintenance being done.

As for the Chaos Sanctuary.... Yeah that sucks, but it will get fixed, you just can't expect them to jump to as if this were a pay-to-play service though. Hell, go try out Dark Age of Camelot, $12.95 a month and there are some bugs in the game that have been in since release, Customer Service Reps don't have the power to help you if the game screws you out of quests/items/money etc, and the classes are more unbalanced then D2 PvP wise. All in a game that game out after D2 and gets patched on a regular basis.

Needless to say, I can't wait for WoW, I'd shell out $20 a month to play a Blizzard made and maintained p2p MMORPG, actually $40 cause my wife will want an account too.