Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is it possible to survive a slit throat

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ace_wanderer, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Ace_wanderer

Ace_wanderer IncGamers Member

Is it possible to survive a slit throat

In Angel, Wesley survives getting his throat slit and on Prison Break also. If your throat is slit is it possible to stay alive and how would they stop the bleeding?

2. WildBerry

WildBerry IncGamers Member

Read Iris Chang's The Rape of Nanking. Damn, this can be used as a comprehensive answer in every thread here! I'll make a point to buff it everywhere!

Uh, then again, maybe not. But seriously, if you have a thing for macabre accounts, that incident is the one to check first. No need to speculate about horrific matters if they've already been tested and documented...

3. soul killer

soul killer Banned

Yes you can survive a slit throat if your main artiery isnt slit wide open.
    Usually when somone slits ones throat they slice that artiery and that person bleeds uncontrolebly.
    You can always tie a towel around your throat and hope you wont die but if that artiery(omg no idea how to spell)is cut you got no chance.
    At least I think that what happens :scratch:

4. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii IncGamers Member

Marlachuck, or something like that, was a ice hockey goalie. He got his jugular slit but a players skate. Theres a few videos of it online you can search for, Im not gonna post them because they are a little extreme. Anyway, blood is litterally gushing out of his throat. Ive never seen anything like it. It took like 300 stiches to close up his neck. But he is still around today and that was in 1989.

I dont know how they stopped the bleeding. In just a few seconds there was a puddle of blood just as large as the goal crease. I have no idea how he survived.

5. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

Yah, it just depends on how severe the damage is to your main artery. There was a kid at USC a few years ago who's throat was slit by a homeless person stealing his wallet. He survived.

6. Johnny

Johnny Banned

In the army they taught us that if your caroted artery was severed you should reach into the wound with your fingers and try to find both ends then pinch down on them as hard as you can. Its really painfull but better than death.

7. MadMachine

MadMachine IncGamers Member

:shocked: And this is the Swedish army?

8. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Well my unit had alot of peculiar training that could only be described as "unofficial"

For example we practised using and placing anti-personel mines and where taught that for example a dead body is the perfect spot to place a landmine so that if the body is touched the mine goes off.

9. Darkflight

Darkflight IncGamers Member

Wouldn't that stop blood from coming to your brain or am I missing something here???:scratch:

10. Johnny

Johnny Banned

I dont know. Dont we have one on each side?

11. Darkflight

Darkflight IncGamers Member

Yes, the one on the left pumps blood to the brain, the one to the right pumps blood down from your brain. If you block one of them, the blood flow will stop. But if you get help very fast, you might live. Otherwise the brain will die because of lack of oxygen.

12. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

That's not very nice. You should have also rigged up other triplines with gernades and/or claymores around the body so when it went off and the rest of the enemy hit the dirt, they got blown to hamburger as well.

I should have been an engineer

13. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

It matters if the person doing it does a good job or not. if they miss the artery, possibly. If they cut you ear to ear, doubt it.

14. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

I've never understood cutting the throat anyway. It's messy and unless you slice correctly, the blood doesn't run down the windpipe and drown him. Failing to do it right very well might wind up with you facing somebody very mad, in a lot of pain and desperate to kill you quickly so as to quickly get medical treatment.

Much better to slice down aong the inside of the clavical and pierce the heart. Quick, mostly silent and not very messy.

15. jackthelad

jackthelad IncGamers Member

Or, & even better according to Tom 'Captain America' Clancy (tho I havent tried it... yet:evil: ) is stabbing the knife between the base of the skull & the first vertebrae (sp?) severing the spinal cord. I would imagine it is very difficult to do right, but completly silent, & no mess.

16. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

The atlas(first vertebrae) and the skull have lots of contact points and lots and lots of tendons. It would probably be easier to go up into the base of the skull with an ice pick.

I've heard the only truly instant kill is going in through the eyes going towards the center and down at around 45 degrees. Not sure if it is instant, but it would kill you pretty damn fast.

As for the slit throat, if they get both major blood vessels then you are pretty much screwed. All the blood in your brain drains out and no new blood can replace it.

ECI: Why the hell would you need to drown them in their own blood? It's not like you have to go that deep to get some serious blood leakage.

17. Machina

Machina IncGamers Member

O/T:

I'm really getting into Prison Break, we're at the end of season 1 over here atm and I'm finding it to be everything Lost claimed to be but failed to deliver.

18. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

I think that when this needs to be done in silence you're much better of stabbing him in the kidneys, the pain makes him black out in an instance. A slit throat does not kill you right away so the victim is going to make a lot of noise, that kinda defeats the purpose.

If noise doesnt matter just shoot him with a .45.

19. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

Yes, you can. When I was spending two weeks visiting a friend in the ICU, there was a 19 year old girl who had been kidnapped by 3 skinheads the father of their child hired to get rid of her. The took her out in the desert, beat the crap out of her, slit her throat ear to ear, put an ice pick in the back of her neck, stabbed her in the chest 3 times and left her for dead. She was found over a day later!! She somehow survived and made it through it. I became very good friends with her family.

20. bagar

bagar IncGamers Member

This is really incorrect. You know we have both arteries and veins in the body. Arteries is the ones with oxygenated blood from the heart. Veins is the ones that has little oxygen after the oxygen has been "deployed" in the cells going back to the heart. Check a human anatomy atlas. The arteries are the ones you will see in red and the veins in blue :smiley:

In short you have a left and a right carotid artery that comes from the aorta. These vessels then divide into an external and an internal branch. Both these vessels on both sides is going pretty close to the larynx (airways). The artery you can feel just below your chin on the front of the neck on either side is the external carotid artery.

Johnnys advice in pinching the external artery if its severed is sound although pretty hard to perform adequatly in reality. Some kind of pressure on the artery is usually necessary though until you can come to surgery. Since a large part of the blood volume comes to the brain you will obviously die more often (and quicker) than not when getting your throat cut due to a quickloss of blood volume. Then we have the asphyxiation part from getting the larynx cut