Is it possible to rename an open character?

Iuris

Diabloii.Net Member
Is it possible to rename an open character?

I'm a bit unhappy about a misspelled name on one of my open (single player) characters. Is it possible to rename him in some way? I tried simply renaming the file, but the game declares something about bad character version and locks up.

Is there a trick to it, or would you recommend an editor for the job?

krzyhobo

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, ATMA has the capabability to change character names. Check out the sticky at the top of the page.

Iuris

Diabloii.Net Member
Er, how? It seems to be a read-only bit of data. And I think I did allow it in the options.

I'm really confused by ATMA. Everything indicates that it should be able to edit things like skills and similar, since there are all those checkboxes in the options, but there is no way to actually change anything.

I really wish I knew how to do it, my mouse sometimes doubleclicks and that can really screw up skill allocating...

phatbrava

Diabloii.Net Member
Iuris said:
Er, how? It seems to be a read-only bit of data. And I think I did allow it in the options.

I'm really confused by ATMA. Everything indicates that it should be able to edit things like skills and similar, since there are all those checkboxes in the options, but there is no way to actually change anything.

I really wish I knew how to do it, my mouse sometimes doubleclicks and that can really screw up skill allocating...
all the char editing was disabled in ATMA, except for the name

krzyhobo

Diabloii.Net Member
To elaborate on Phatbrava:

Those editing features were supported in ATMA in earlier versions. Though they have been disabled the options appear intact but are greyed out. There should be a button next to your character name labeled "edit." Click it.

Twoflower

Banned
i think in general skill editing isnt realy liked here

and if you mess up the char name and his stats, you can always rebuilt him :p

Gnoggen

Diabloii.Net Member
lol

My highest character is a 66 necro stupidly named Skellemelee. I HATE that name, but I somehow feel it would be wrong to change it. Maybe its just my reminder to myself never to name a character after the playstyle I intend ever again!

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Gnoggen said:
My highest character is a 66 necro stupidly named Skellemelee. I HATE that name, but I somehow feel it would be wrong to change it. Maybe its just my reminder to myself never to name a character after the playstyle I intend ever again!
Hmm, that reminds me, I need to fire up VPC and run ATMA to change the name of my latest hardcore character, RunIntoSparksAndDie.

Rugruth

Diabloii.Net Member
DurfBarian said:
Hmm, that reminds me, I need to fire up VPC and run ATMA to change the name of my latest hardcore character, RunIntoSparksAndDie.
ROFLMAO

I built a zerker barb 2 days ago and his name is.... well.. Crusher... original, isn't it?

R.