Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is it just me? A little paranoid...

Discussion in 'Druid' started by malakho, Aug 31, 2006.

1. malakho

malakho IncGamers Member

Is it just me? A little paranoid...

I was noticing a trend here in the fourm...is it just me or are the alot more of the "I want uber powered charectar" posts lately?

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not an expert or even close to it in diablo. Played for along time, mostly offline until the recent patch (and i finally got a decent net connection :grin:), and just started loving druids for the last 6 months or so.

I started liking them because it was a place of peace, one of the last bastions of normalcy in the silly, crazy gotta have uber/duped items/l33t charectars diablo realm. druids were(are) effective charectars, really good if you worked with them and practiced your skills.

I've seen alot of charectars over the years get ruined by the uber/l33t craze, and now im seeing more of those posts here, and im worried im going to lose this class too :cry:

And im not referring to the posts that are just honestly interested in trying out druids as a class. I mean the posts that sort of run along the lines of, "I just saw this guy with crazy damage, and I want crazy damage too and i want you to tell me exactly how to do it, how to do my skills and stats and gear and everything else so i can have super power too." Sounds like they are the guys who have a hammerdin sitting in the background, with a charger on the side and a javazon as backup, and now want another uber charectar because there bored showing off there latest trophys.

I'm not trying to scare people away from an awesome class...I just wonder if y'all have gotten so good at being druids that we've proverbally "shot ourselves in the foot"... Wonder if we should start saying druids suck...:jig:
    just kidding of course, but it makes you wonder. Will we lose our "underdog" status and become the next hammerdin wannabees?

wuf
    Malachi

2. MortIIs

MortIIs IncGamers Member

Not a chance in hell. Druid will remain underdog, at least melee druid will. Ele druid, now that's something different.

3. TheBassman

TheBassman IncGamers Member

Werewolf druids are gaining popularity but I think they'll always be the underdog class. And about that super crazy damage werewolf, that is a titan, good luck throwing him into PvP your 30k damage trophy will lose its gold and you'll take last place. Wow that analogy was weird. I myself have seen some of the newer druid members wanting a high-powered cookie cutter werewolf that doesn't require much skill to own. They're in the wrong place. No one can take over the hammerdin as the most overrated build so don't worry on that part. :laugh:

~LesC

4. TerminalVertigo

TerminalVertigo IncGamers Member

we have too many faults as characters to become uber powerful like these people think will happen.

i go into a duel game, and smack everyone around, and everyone wants to know what i use. i show them and alot of the time they say "oh"

druids aren't like smiters or zealers or hammerdins, the learning curve after beating on total newbs is fairly steep.

If there willing to invest the time, then theyll understand the real power, but most likely they'll get slaughtered the first few days and give up.

which is fine by me :)

5. Kirah

Kirah IncGamers Member

Dear Malakho,

There are some that are in it for having an uber killing machine, but the rest of us are just trying to have fun. The druids in general aren't in huge numbers on bnet. When I join other games, I'm almost always the only druid. It's such a shock to me when I see another wolf, much less a bear that I almost always head over to the other druid to say "Greetings, fellow wolf-brother". I joined one baal run with other characters and there were like 7 pallys in the group. It was pretty unreal. Hammers flying everywhere, but pretty impersonal. Almost like being in The Matrix.
    Druids are cool because they can do a bit of everything and transform into wolves or bears. The ones coming in and asking for the 'godliest' character are just new to the game and just have fun beating up on things. Later they evolve into experienced players that try different builds and eventually design the best fit character to their playing style and gives the most fun. So eventually assuming everyone evolves properly, we all should be playing druids (kidding! kidding! don't flame me!).

Good luck and Good hunting! (growf!)
    Kirah

6. IMCanadian

IMCanadian IncGamers Member

Quite frankly, druids suck. Without the heart and devotion of the player, a druid wont pwn **** all. It comes from the love of playing the game, the class, the type that makes druids amazing...which would be the same for any character made. The problem is that ppl don't see this, how hard is it to max conc, hammer, vigor, BA, stick a nigma and some plus skill gear on...theres your uber 1337 dueler/pvmer...oh and that'll be five bux, hurry up theres another guy waiting in a line thats goin out the door. Druids take dedication, you gotta learn BP, glitches, hidden effects. You gotta test the gear, you gotta have dueling methods. Theres no stand there and wait for someone to walk up, hit them with smite, you win. Dedication is the main difference and those people playing class known as "uber leet" will never have it, and therefore will be fed up with a druid shifter within five seconds. Kibas cousin said to me one day when I said I hated learning BP's and stuff, he said "well your never gona have a good druid, you'll always suck and be second", and he was right."

7. emar

emar IncGamers Member

With all due respect... there isn't any "hidden effects" that make the druid that much more difficult to play than a pally, zon, sorc, barb, assn and nec. Not every hammerdin duels without skill, and not every zon FCs. There are people that play their respective classes, or all classes well. This is a game afterall - mechanics of it really are just point and click, no?

Allow me throw this back at you. How hard is it to max Lycan, Fury, Rabies, Psn Creeper and Oak... throw on Stoutes suggested gear and shift+rabies or shift+fury? You'll PK a whole bunch simply with that technique.

It's all in how folks play the class - anyone can purchase the gear and character for that matter.

Sure there are angles, and actual strategies to take into account - however the druid is not the only class that encounters these...

And to the OP: Fear not about your class, well the melee ones anyway. The druid will never gain that uber 1337 popularity until Blizz does something really absurb with skills, damage, synergies or something to cause everyone to take notice.

8. IMCanadian

I never said every hammerdin, smiter and every other paladin class duels without skill, I said the newcommers who lose to good hammerdins, see their damage and want one themselves, copy a build and duel without skill. I also said that it was true to any class that the way you play it is what makes it good. With all due repect to you, I must defend myself, but my point is...you agreed with me but argued at the same time? Point and click, yes, but thats all anygame is, mashing buttons on an xbox control. The game comes form the strategy in your head, if you dont play with strategy (the uber leet newcommers), your really missing out...

9. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

Actly vs a smiter no not if they smite you on a wall, tree, pit, or something. Why yes all 3 of us here can agree on that it takes the skill of the player to do well. Not the items on the guy.

10. emar

emar IncGamers Member

Everything I said was based on this.

These guys don't have any bigger a learning curve.

Shift+sit, you can do it with any char

That whole statement is a bunch of goobley goop starting with that word Dedication. And geez I don't even know where to start on that one...

I'm done, agree to disagree.

Edit:

I said PK a whole bunch that way, not everyone. FCers are the most skill-less duelers and they still get stomped, you don't win 'em all - Technique-less or not.

11. IMCanadian

I'll agree on that...but don't just pick on me, you then disagree with what puma says about dueling smiters and you disagree with malako on practice, terminal on the learning curve...i'm just sayin...

12. emar

emar IncGamers Member

Psst... read then comment, it'll serve you well.

Never disagreed.

I never mentionned it doesn't take practice - it just doesn't take more practice then any other char - I think this is what you aren't catching.

And heavens I don't even know what you meant by that "terminal" comment. You must've meant something else, that word doesn't fit.

Wasn't picking on you either, unforunate that you felt that way. It was a disagrement as such that appears to have degraded into petty insults? That's how I read your comment anyway.

Good on you, real mature!

13. IMCanadian

That terminal quote, which says the learning curve for druids is steeper then other builds, which you posted a quote from something I said, then said the learning curve isnt steeper. So that was disagreement with what terminal said, but posting my quote?

How am I being immature, I've yet to insult you, I was simply wondering why you posted all my quotes, while you disagreed with others. Totally ripping apart what I said..seemed like you were targeting me...

14. malakho

malakho IncGamers Member

:grin:
    wuf
    thats what I love about the forum..you guys rock (must be something about the nature of the druid...earth, trees, wolfs tearing apart...oops wrong picture:rolleyes: )

I think thats what atracted me to the druid in the first place (along with the m.a. assassin, and not the dragon tail kickers, the pheonix striker, build up massive charges kind of assy) they were classes that had potential, they just needed focus and practice to utilize.

so here's a big awoo to the truely dedicated :wink:

...It was a cold wind that blew its ragged shards of ice along Gelthazaars brow. He frowned, glancing into the wind before turning back to the proceedings in front of him. all his hard work, all the dedication to training and sacrifice would culminate tonight into the ritual tha would seal his fate, his dedication, to the order that spawned him in its infancy and would, in the fruition of his destiny, bring about the salvation of his people. He looked around, at all lhis brothers, large and small, dominating the small circle formed from the natural growth of roots and limbs, the grove where it all started, where his order originated with the blessing of the ancients during the time of strife, the mage wars of so long ago. This wasn't the weather he was hoping for

"Are you ready, Caeloheim elhanna Gelthazaar?"
    Gelthazaar turned to his brother Gaean, one of the few who made the decision to not be turned on his awakening. His long hair, the color of burnished copper, seemed alive in the cool wind and soft glow of the will-o-wisps who floated majestically within the grove. His mark, the stripe that all of his bretheren were born with, flowed like the icy drifts on the mountainside. Gelthazaar had never felt prouder of his soul-brother

"I am, Gaean, Souhae-creua mine brother."
    "Let us then begin. the elders await in the circle of power." Gaean stepped forward, proceeding Gelthazaar in ritualistic fashion. His body teeming with energy. amidst the floating shades of light and other potent servants of nature, sat the elders. Korith, the great bear, stood tall, his immense presence dwarfing even the trees. his eyes, very human and full of wisdom and age, watched Gelthazaar with an amusement borne of understanding. Jalcanna, chief elder, his wolf form highlighted with the fine silver hairs of ages past, grinned a wolfy grin as Gelthazaar approached.

Others were there, some turned, some not, brimming with the power of the ancients and alive with the moment, all watched as Gaean led Gelthazaar into the circle of power. Gelthazaar could feel it then, as he steped into the circle, the power that the anceints had bestowed upon them, those who were selected to be the Caeloheim, the druid of the mountain-clans.

"we are all gathered together in this most holy of places, the circle of power of the ancients to unify yourself by blood and bone and sweat, to those who have preceeded you, in sacrifice..." Korith's words droned on, like the staccato beat of an ancient rythmic song that echoed within Gelthazaars heart. He though of all the time spent in practice, training under the harshest of masters within the order, and it all columinates here, this eve. It was hard to keep a smile of estatic joy from his lips. He snapped back just in time to hear Korith began the chant of acceptance.

"...do you Caeloheim elhanna Gelthazaar, in body and spirit, thru selfless sacrifice and forgoeing your inheritance in the great tribes of the north , tribes of our forefathers and brothers, to the purpose of..." He trailed off, shocking Gelthazar. He glanced up, at the bear, and noticed something wrong in his face. His ancient mentor pause, as if noticing something. Jancalla was close behind, sniffing the air. his teeth bared in a growl. "It can't be... not now, not this close to the grove..."

Kroith growled, its sound emanating in waves across the grove, thick in its power. "demon blood."
    Jancalla was gone in an instant, his body disappearing into the night like a shadow, almost before Gelthazaar coudl track him. Gaean, his long time friend tensed, his focus snapping in like a steel blade. Gelthazaar could feel Gaean harness the power, tapping into the great void where they found there source, and Gelthazaar could feel the earth move and respond to his brother in all its molten glory. in the outer circle, others were readying themselves, wolves and bears shifting and searching with their senses. others, masters of the wind and rain, or earth below, tapped into the great source, power flowing and ebbing in the grove like thick mead. wind and heat, ice and fire.

Gelthazaar felt it, let it flow thru him and tapped into it himself, feeling the winds and ice tense and rage at his command. His thought drifted out to his soul-friends, and felt them respond, there animal-sense guiding them to where he was, in the ways of the wolf and bear. He grinned then, in spite of his fear and discouragement at the interruption of his coronation.

Korith saw his smile and smiled back, as only a fellow Caeloheim could. "It seems like our battles are far from over. However, these spawn of the underworld will soon regret their trespass into our home. Come, mine student, lets show them what the Caeloheim are truely made of..."

Hope y'all enjoyed that...just popped into my head as was was browsing today and figure this was the best place to put it. I'd write more but i think this is long enough as it is:evil:

Wuf
    Malachi

15. emar

emar IncGamers Member

Interesting!

The gist of what you were saying was the same as his post apparently. Wasn't targeting you, I just skim - and I guess I didn't catch that he said it too- besides you had pointed out a whole bunch-o things that I just didn't agree on.

16. malakho

malakho IncGamers Member

doh...alot of posts snuck in while I was writing my biggy there...too bad the direction turned negative whilst i was trying to entertain...

I think the problem is, emar, that while you have valid points, your methodology of bringing it across (the words) seems at the least confrontational, which is why I think IMCanadian reacted the way he did...seems more like an issue of miscommunication in intent, if not idealism.

wuf
    Malachi

17. malakho

malakho IncGamers Member

dangit you guys are writing too fast :grin:
    can't keep up ( ill blame my dial-up connection)

18. IMCanadian

Ok, yeah malakho is right, our word choice is what we are fighting over. I didnt mean any malintent towards you...and I guess you didnt mean any towards me either. I Apologize...

19. Clooch

Clooch IncGamers Member

i guess this was a shot at my thread? it was identicle to my wording...

dude im new to LOD and i used to play classuic 2 years ago, im new and i am sick of having crappy chars. i was genuinely interested in building a tough druid as i like how they work

i dont understand how thats wrong of me

20. IMCanadian

Not of you generally, of players who don't care about nothing but damage and pk's. It's great to have new members to the druids forum, but questions like how do I make the bomb druid arent good. Become friends with people, read guides, asks smaller questions like, what weapon, armor, skill better to ask...and then put your information together. No one was trying to be nasty, fi you don't believe me, in your thread puma said he'd like to have you turn into one of us, and thats means alot, trust me.