Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is it gender discrimination for Volvo to have a height requirement on workers?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Johnny, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Is it gender discrimination for Volvo to have a height requirement on workers?

When working in the Volvo Factory workers have to be above 163 cm and bellow 195 cm to work on the cars that go through on a conveyer belt.

The reason is they have established that anyone bellow the minimum height will have to stretch to do the work and taller people would have to bow down which would be bad for the workers body.

Now a few women have reported them for discrimination against women and also sued them because 28% of women are bellow that height and so they would never be alowed to work there meanwhile only 1% of men would never be alowed to work there.

Source:
    http://www.jamombud.se/news/JamOstammerVolvoPers.asp

If you cant read it then tough luck :p

So is this discrimination?

2. toader

toader Banned

I think no.

But then again, I am a very ANTI-PC person, and I think people whine WAY to much about discrimination this, and discrimination that.

We will see what the rest of the forums think.

3. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

If there's a legitimate health concern for the workers, then no. I mean if there's no good reason to only hire males, then yes, it could be discrimination. It would suck if you owned a company and you were forced to hire people too short/too tall to do the work and they got injured because of it. Then you're still responsible.

On a side note, why would you want to work a job where you are standing on your tip toes to tinker on the assembly line all day?

4. toader

toader Banned

HA. The age ole question of why. The answer is: Because someone told them they couldnt. This is usually the answer when questions like this arise. :lol:

5. Kitten~The~Evil

Kitten~The~Evil IncGamers Member

The women may have a legitimate case because of the way "the cookie crumbled" - with it being mostly women who were laid-off. It does make it look like profiling was done before the rule was made.

Volvo will have to prove that there was a real reason for setting height requirements. This is usually (historically) not a good enough reason for laying people off. Volvo will have to go in now and prove that they are not trying to make rules to eliminate people, but to make the work environment actually a safer place.

IE, if there were any alternatives that could have been done in lieu of making height restrictions, then it will be found as discrimination. I don't know, maybe they could have made the cars come through higher on the assembly line, then had stations/platforms for employees to stand on that can be adjusted for their ideal height? If something like that is actually feasible, then they (Volvo) will lose the law suit.

The airlines had a similar argument with requiring a weight limit for flight attendants. I believe they actually won, and it was a first. It is very much frowned upon to make laws that restrict workers based on physical attributes (because, strictly speaking, that IS discrimination)

And might I say that I am SOO glad this suit came about AFTER I completed my law classes... this is exactly the kind of thing my professor would look for to make us think.

I'm not being graded, am I? :scared:

6. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

My thoughts are that if you don't meet the requirements to do the job in a safe manner, then you should be ineligible. If women being generally shorter then men means that they, as a whole, are less likely to be hired at Volvo, then there's not much you can do. If you're too short, you're too short... whether you're a guy or a girl. But using your sex to cry fowl when the issue is about height is simply a waste of time.

Of course, this hinges on the legitimacy of Volvo's requirement in the first place. If it can be shown that Volvo arbitrarily set their requirements with little rationale, then I would support a change in their policy. Not so more women can be hired but so that their policy is more appropriate. If they can come up with height restrictions that can be shown to be reasonable considering the nature of the work, then I think they should be allowed to staff their company in line with them.

7. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

it's their fault for hiring women in the first place

am I right people?

:uhhuh:

8. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

I think Kitten has an excellent analysis of it. I doubt Volvo wanted to fire their female employees, and that they probably didn't think enough about the possibilities for a solution to this problem. But like toader, I am very sick of people being so PC and complaining about everything. If Volvo loses, I will be disappointed.

9. Kitten~The~Evil

Kitten~The~Evil IncGamers Member

The women who are pressing this suit might have done well to include a suit for height discrimination - it's just as illegal as sexual discrimination. You just don't really here about much discrimination other than that based on gener or sexual preference.

10. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

For us silly Americans, the height range is really ~5'5" to 6'5". Down with Imperial units!

It's not discrimination, like others have said, it's a safety issue.

Say, my Swedish isn't so great, but doesn't the last paragraph say something about a buyout? I only know how to ask for beer and phone numbers in Swedish.

11. toader

toader Banned

GPBH--

How the hell did you get your name back to yellow colored?

I thought you were a Platinum, did you convince them to make you yellow?

12. Crispyknight

Crispyknight IncGamers Member

Even if Volvo has to pay a settlement on this to make it go away, it'll cost them less than the personal injury lawsuits that would be filed for unsafe working conditions. I thought the US had a corner on the idiotic lawsuit market!

13. Johnny

Johnny Banned

They havent fired anyone for being to short.

They just didnt hire them in the first place for being too short.

Also there are several women working there too.

Women that are within the height limit that is.

14. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Which part?

select one and Il translate it.

15. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

I thought it was a buyout/settlement because 200K sek isn't all that much. Thanks, Johnny

16. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Yes JämO is aiming for a 200.000 SEK settlement which is about $25.000

17. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Thanks, Johnny, you have reaffirmed my dopeness at Swedish. Hell, it's been 25 years since I spoke any.

:drink: Skal!

18. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

My subscription ran out. So I reverted back to normal until I donate again. I am holding back for now because I didn't enjoy the benefits of being a Pal as much as I thought I would, and plus I expect to have less free time to spend here starting next month and I dont want to pay for something I won't use, you know?

19. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

It's been my experience as a slave laborer that physical requirements are set for damn good reasons. If there's a weight limit and you can't even lift it once let alone regularly for 8 hour shifts, don't apply, you'll be sitting on your *** all day and everyone will hate you for it while nobody can safely fire you for it. If there's a height limit due to the type of machinery you're operating...

I really do have an extreme hatred of people who insist they be given jobs they literally cannot do. Assuming of course that's why the height restrictions are there, which I feel very safe assuming.

20. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

This is because of all that "you can do anything you want" to stuff that little kids are fed by teachers.

Why cant some people accept that some jobs arent meant for them?