Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is Hydra effective ?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by nalchik, Mar 30, 2004.

1. nalchik

nalchik IncGamers Member

Is Hydra effective ?

Please help me , i just started to play on Battle net.
    I finished hell with frost zealot and now i want to make a HYdraOrb sorc.
    Does anyone used hydra in the final stages of the game ? Can i have some advantages ?

Sorry for my bad english .
    Thanks alot.

2. ReZ The Profound

ReZ The Profound IncGamers Member

i personally think Hydra is useless, but i do know people that have hydra that totally owns, but i recomend not using it.

3. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

as far as hydra and TS are concerned, someone said it best when they said that some skills are for pvm, and others are designed for pvp. hydra and ts are designed for pvp. they can somewhat work in pvm, but not well. with good enuf equip, you can get any skill combo to kill, but some skills aren't worth putting that much effort into.

i wouldn't use it pvm.

4. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

I disagree. I have an 89 Hydra/Orb Sorcs and she's fine. I am NEVER in a hurry to do anything. I only play in hell and I happen to be in hard core and I made it to 89, what more can I say?

It really depends upon you're personal playing style and what you eventually want to do. I am PvM only, so I can't comment on the dueling thing. All I do is MF ... and help friends through hell.

Let me also add that she is in possession of the Diablo clone charm (and no it wasn't "given" to me - she earned it!)

Masa

5. Zhidkoe

Zhidkoe IncGamers Member

Sounds all well, but since you have been very successful using the set up, why not give the guy who started the thread som advice?

6. masakerr

Touche'! My advice on this build? OK, OK ... it's a very hard build to work with! This character was created in the 1.09 version and fortunately for me it still works. What I had done was maxed Hydra and Fire Mastery first as they are the main attacks. Next I maxed Frozen Orb and then finally Cold Mastery. Please note that carelessly wasted some points on skills I do not wish to mention (other then my Thunder Storm now functions as my timer - I gotta get to where I'm going before it runs out. Keeps me on track and prevents wonderings. It don't kill squat - lol).

As it turns out Orb is my main attack. It's faster and does very decent damage. Hydra is used on cold immunes, shooting around corners and walking me through dangerous areas. Please note Hydra is stupid. It'll focus on a target whether or not it's immune to fire.

What I do in cases of mixed immunes is to drop 3 or 4 Hydras and then fire away with Orb. This combination seems to work fairly well, cause Orb is stupid too, but it does hit everything!

I either go real slow or really really fast. I will say to the credit of the other folk who posted.... 1.10 is more geared toward the single element Sorcs. Pick one and max out the synergies.

My Hydra's are hitting with 1000+ damage per hit and I don't believe there are synergies with Hydra. However, I never drop just one Hydra.

There you go tips from someone who's not an expert, but still alive in Hard core!

Masa

7. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

8. masakerr

Chubbypuppy, I read your thread, so here's my 2 cents (for what it's worth).

I agree, not the "best" possible build, but I'm not sure what is. I think single element builds are NOT the best, but then again I do run across the silly buggar that's immune to both fire and cold.

In hell, my Hydra kills. In hell my Orb kills. What's the best build? I don't know, but if you have fun with it, then go for it. I was kind of forced into this cause the 1.10 patch came out well after I was into the build. What's a boy to do.

I do not have max dex.
    My resistances, frankly they suck.
    I use e-shield and I swear by it, but that's me. It's saved my bacon more then once.

Equipment: Shako, Skulders, chance guards, goldwrap (up-graded), Grim shield, Oculus, SOJ, Naglering (I think), I forget the amulet. I think I have 500 or 550 MF.

I think with all items my Hydra is level 31. For all of that, I admit she is not the best of builds. I have wasted some skill points (I don't know what I was thinking) and I might change the equip some on the next build. Resistance is definetely important, but there's a huge give and take when it comes to magic find and resistances. Sometime you just have to make sacrifices.

After having said that, I'm happy with this girl, I think I'll keep her fior a while.

Masa

9. chubbypuppy

Im happy

Im envious and happy for you and your hydras :) I wish I could be as happy as you. No matter how I play with the numbers, hydras are just so slow compared to fireball/meteor... But you are right, this is a game.

BTW how much damage does your hydras do per spit?

10. Darkwell

Darkwell IncGamers Member

Nalchik

On Sunday, my little hydra only bowsorc and her rogue merc killed Hell Baal and is now matriarch. It was a struggle to reach this goal but she is the most fun character I have ever played. Whether hydra is right for you, depends on how you intend to play. If your looking for fun, then try hydra/orb. If you want massive killing power then look at met/orb or even orb/cl. It all depends on your playing style and what you want out of the game. Have fun which ever you choose.

11. masakerr

My Hydras do 1016 per "spit" and orb does 450 per shard. Hydra, fire Mastery, cold mastery and frozen orb are all level 31 ... it's an ok build. I'm sure there are other builds that are better, but this isn't bad as a conversion from 1.09 to 1.10

Masa

12. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

While hydra may not be killing as fast as meteor or fire ball, it costs way less mana and is a very defensive build. You can cast it as a kind of a shield, plus you can go all-out vitality. I calculated that it will do alike damage compared to fire wall with 2 synergies if you constantly have 4 hydra's up, which isn't bad since it's way easier to hit something with hydra than fire wall.

I'd use it as my main skill though. If you use orb for everything and then hydra for CI's then it's probably not a very good skill, but the other way around it should be better :)

Gonna build one myself soon, for pvp though, but even pvp'ers have to PvM so i'll see how it works out :thumbsup:

13. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Just an idea for a build with Hydra/Blizz (have played tooo long with FO):
    20 Firebolt 867.4-976.1 (support only if you ever will use it ...)
    1 (lvl12) Fireball 1437.2-1700.9 (this is good support spell damage, about the same as one firebolt from hydra :))
    20 Hydra 1440.7-1640.6
    20 FM

20 Blizz 1437.5-1507.6 (dunno if this would be enough damage, reckon it could?!)
    1 (lvl12) GS (just for freezing since blizz adds freeze length..)
    1 CM

+12 skills

Now this is possibly something like the build you are using masakerr, except for FO instead of Blizz right?

I would really like to try this build. FB with Hydras together should be able to manage anything not FI.

If Blizz would not be able to do enough damage i'd go FO since that is a sure damage spell. I'll build this. Looks like fun. Very defensive since you can cast Blizz far away and prod along with Hydra/FB. Would go VIT-build with this one.

Any comments? Flamings? Noobcalls ;) ?

14. Haplon

Haplon IncGamers Member

This is bang on. Meteor/fireball are faster but I prefer hydra. I have built and have had die, each of the variations and my preference is hydra/orb,vitality, instead of dex/block and no energy shield. As has been said you play what suits your playing style so one size doesn't fit all. I always cast hydra ahead of me and into rooms. If it starts firing I lay down 3/4 more then move in slowly continuing to cast hydra till I see the monsters-if fire immune cast orb if not keep hydras up until monster dead. Fairly safe defensive built.

15. äger

äger IncGamers Member

What about using hydra on a Mephisto-runner? How does it fare then?
    I remember in 1.09, where my hydra sorc was a very pleasent and relaxed mfer.
    This is only for meph running, so no need considering other factors.
    Anyone?

16. masakerr

Melianor, you are correct. Like I was saying though. Blizzard was not the spell of choice in 1.09 and synergies was not a happening thing, thus the Orb.

Though I've never intentionally gone out to kill anyone, in 1.09 it was fun to scare my friends with the Hydras ... you know drop a bunch, open a portal and invite them down ... they usually called me bad names - lol.

As far as I know and I'm far from being an expert... Hydra does not have any synergies. Having said that I don't agree with your stat calculations Melianor. My hydras with maxed fire mastery only kick out 1016 damage per hit. This is at level 31 (both). Do you think that adding one more skill point into each mastery and hydra it would bump it up 500 points? That seems too high.

I do agree with the other person about dropping Hydra's into the room ahead of you. I do that all the time. Hydras aim themselves, sometimes they don't aim at what you want them to aim at, but at least they let you know something is around the corner. When that happens I drop 2 or 3 more. When I've been reset I charge in with Orb (charge is a strong word - carefully investigate the situation is more what I do).

My Merc is a level 89 Barb using a bul-kathos sword and nice armor. He can take out the stuff that's immune to fire and ice ... especially when I static the "hell" out of them (at least to 50%).

Hydra
    Orb
    E-Shield
    Static

Oh yeah, I use Thunderstorm as a game timer cause for anything else it's worthless at the level it's at. It's sticks around for 2 minutes.

Masa

17. masakerr

Y E S !! Drop back across the moat, stay out of his "range" and drop Hydra's. If you have to and I've had to on occassion ... run up, drop a hydra or two and RUN back! Usually I can stay far enough away from him (out of his range) where he's not shooting "stuff" at me and I can drop Hydra's to my hearts content.

Meph and Hydra's, yes, absolutely! Getting there is my problem.

Masa

18. Haplon

Haplon IncGamers Member

I would say in using the moat trick meteor and hydra are essentially the same
    although meteor would kill a bit faster. If your tping to dur 3 then all thats different is the small diff in Meph killing speed. if your walking to dur 3 hydra will get u there alot more safely. Other things to consider is that hydra stuns the monsters so this another safety plus for hydra vs meteor.

19. jason166

jason166 IncGamers Member

Hydra has 2 synergies

Hydra has 2 synergies

Hyrda receives +3 % firedamage per level from both Firebolt and Fireball

20. chubbypuppy

Hydra stunnage

I've known about this as an abstract fact, but does anyone know how this actually works?