Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is goldskin worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Agateryon, May 5, 2005.

1. Agateryon

Agateryon IncGamers Member

Is goldskin worth upgrading?

Answer me please :p i thought i could upgrade it for my sorc due to res while im waiting to use skullder's.

2. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

I wouldn't, but that's just me. Seems like a waste of the rune to me. Use a vipermagi instead.

3. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

not really no, it's a bit heavy for a mid lvl sorc

4. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

When contemplating upgrading a piece of armour always keep in mind that the only thing you are going to improve is the defense rating.

Thus you need to ask yourself: Is the defense really important enough to warrant the runes spent and the increased item requirements? Sometimes they are. An upgraded Goldskin makes perfect sense for a mid-level melee character for example. Other times it doesn't such as in the case of a Blizzard sorceress nuking the beasties from afar.

There are, of course a few exeptions. Normal belts can for example often get more slots by upgrading them to exceptional and in a rare case you can even get more block-chance when upgrading a shield (defender->heater) comes to mind. Upgrading boots or shields for an assassin/paladin is also an exception though it would be better to think of the boots or shield as a kind of weapon in that case.

In case of your sorceress I would say that upgrading doesn't make sense, unless you are a type of sorceress who spends most of her time within hitting range of her adversaries (such as a Charged Boltress for example).

5. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Remember though that the requirements change for the item and an additional level requirement penalty is added as a hidden affix.

It's +5 rlvl for normal -> exceptional and +7 rlvl for exceptional -> elite, and +12 rlvl for normal -> elite.

Some normal items (uniques) have properties that other uniques don't for instance; goldwrap (high MF for a belt), venom ward (nice +max resist and reduced duration together on one item), etc (I could go on but I think you get my point).

If goldskin has a property that make it special to you then by all means upgrade it, however some items just are not worth the runes to upgrade, its all what you value.

6. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

I would resort to one of those crappy P-diamond shields before upgrading armor that's going to have a massive strength req if resists were an issue.

7. Agateryon

heh thx, i just sold the armor :p and spent the runes upgrading goldwrap..then again i have a viper 1012 defense 34all res in other char :D

8. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

the only benefit of uping goldwrap i think for most ppl would be the xtra row for pots.

9. Agateryon

thats the reason why i upgraded it :)

10. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

that IS quite a good reason.

11. Xora

Xora Europe Trade Moderator

That's a pretty good reason for me also :lol: