Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is Fortitude really worth it?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by pepperisadog, Jun 24, 2005.

1. pepperisadog

pepperisadog IncGamers Member

Is Fortitude really worth it?

Im not talking about the cost of the lo rune. Im talking about the loss of dr if I give up my shaft for it. I have a pvm ww barb right now using a 215% shaft. I was wondering what would be an ideal armor, shaft, fort, or is it something else. Input of any kind would be helpful, thanks.

Ps I already have all the runes and a 4 soc 507 boneweave armor to put it in. Is this armor good enough for fort?

[L] Useast *pepperisadog *pepperisadog1

2. CrazyPayne

CrazyPayne IncGamers Member

Are you a sword/stormshield barb, 2 weapons, or sword/pheonix?

If sword/stormshield then if you were to use a 15% dr verdungo with stormshield you would have the maximum 50% damage reduction.

With the other 2 ways you would have to ask another person who is more experienced with barbs.

3. pepperisadog

pepperisadog IncGamers Member

Im not sure what Phoenix is . But im using one botdcb for both hands (noshield) I have a SS. Do you think I should use it? It will greatly reduce my damage though.

4. Arutha

Arutha IncGamers Member

I don't really play with barbs so I dont know if its a bad idea but ber ber coa can have 31% dr.

5. tallon

tallon IncGamers Member

I'm not a dueler, but from what I've read and such...

A dueling barb should *always* use a shield, and the SS is the shield of choice.

So put that puppy on, it'll greatly reduce damage simply by blocking a lot (note: do you have max blocking? if not I guess it wouldn't matter).

And if you have the verdungo belt, with the 15% dr u'd be maxed out. And then you'd want a better armor than shaftstop.

-tallon

6. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

Barbs don't need dmg reduce for pvm. the 15% of dungoes is more than enough. Personally I use tgods, raven, highlords, fcr ring,beast,botd,arreats= 8% dmg reduce, and in all my rushes I've only died to IM. Duress is better than shaft, Fort is better than Duress :) If you insist on using a shield, phoenix would be better than SS for pvm. In general, dual wielding or big 2handers are way better though.

HoD

7. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Shaftstop is the worst armor that barbs can wear for pvm. It gives no offensive benefits and no resistances. Tons of armors beat it in pvm effectiveness

Duriel's Shell
    Twitchthroe
    Lionheart
    Leviathan
    Duress

8. Joch

Joch IncGamers Member

shaft has 30% dmg reduce remember :rolleyes:

about the thread:
    I don't think it's worth it (as armor) because it doesnt give +300% dmg like it's stated, only about +50%-60%

9. HardyTarget

HardyTarget IncGamers Member

I only use fortitude on my merc because of the added dmg + nice defense boost from the chilling armor trigger.
    It also gives a decent amount of life.
    Not sure if it's useful enough for a normal character of anykind though.

10. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Shaft is a really crappy armor. If you need DR for a melee character or a javazon (tanking while using LF is quite useful), wear Stormshield and either String if Ears or one of the various DR helms. DR is capped at 50% anyway. A missile character doesn't need DR at all IMO. Apart from Fortitude, there are lots of better armors, like CoH, GA, Arkaines, Leviathan and even Skullder's or Duriel's shell etc. etc. etc..

So the answer is: For god's sake, get rid of shaft ! Regarding Fortitude: If you have a MS/strafe bowazon, give her that armor, her damage will improve a lot ! For example, I do solo WSK+Baal minion+River+CS+Diablo+Trav+Tunnels+Pit runs with my Faith+Fortitude zon and she dies very rarely.

I ask myself how your melee characters get their damage numbers if you think 300%ed is low. If you get +300%ed from a skill or an aura or have 300 str, it's exactly the same as getting 300%ed from a Fortitude armor.

Off-weapon %ed gets added with str and/or dex, as well as %ed from skills and auras (and any %ed to demons/undead, including from weapons) and the resulting number is multiplied with the weapon damage plus any +min/max dmg. Because certain characters don't get huge bonuses in the off-weapon part of the equationthere (like strafe or MS bowazons and to a lesser extent, WW barbs), the impact of 300% is quite big.

11. sirmessbu

sirmessbu IncGamers Member

Go for it, use the fortitude. The better the damage, faster ennemy drop and the more ya leech. Like plenty of other stated ya can use verdungo to get some reduce damage or use the clasical string of ear for more leech and some reduce damage.

If ya feel like ya need more reduce put on the SS with the fortitude damage bonus ya should be back near your original damage with much more survivability.

12. Joch

Joch IncGamers Member

well I only wrote down what I experienced thou friends were surprised that I received so little bonus from the armor. perhaps I had made a forti with a bug
    :lol:

13. technokale

technokale IncGamers Member

Find a higher sup kraken or something , i have 571 sup loricaded 546 scarab husk and 541 wymhide ( all 15% ) sup, and 612(12%) sup laquered plate for trade

14. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

My point was that not just Fortitude will add to the the off-weapon part of the equation, so you can't expect that adding an item with 300%ed will multiply damage by 4 if skills, auras, str or dex already add to that multiplier.