Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is Enigma really better than GA for PVM?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Gyro, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Gyro

Gyro IncGamers Member

Is Enigma really better than GA for PVM?

My Hammerdin has been contemplating joining the Enigma crowd. I don't have the runes yet, but have enough good stuff that I could trade up for them.

But is it really worth it to a PVM MF Hammerdin? Sure, the stats are great, and who could resist teleporting around all day without even needing to visit a vendor for a recharge.

But I'm wondering about the trade off on max resists I'd have to give up on my GA. 90% resist all gives me a warm fuzzy feeling of invulnerability around gloams and other critters that other players gripe about. Is it dumb of me to consider resisting the trend and favoring the lowly GA over the godly Enigma?

2. ForLife

ForLife Banned

The stats of Enigma are great, but I would use them mainly in PvP, when in PvM I would use Chains of Honor, this one also gives skills + resist + dmg to demons + leech. Teleporting in PvM isnt really neccesary to me :)

Well suit yourself :D

Grtz,

ForLife (Scorp84)

3. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

i'll add my 2 cents :D

tbh i don't use GA on my mf hdin - ptopaz'd skullders for more mf (tho obviously it depends pm your other gear and where you get your mf from).

If i could afford the runes i'd swap my skullders for an enigma for the extra +skill / life per kill and the teleport. But tbh with maxed vigour the tp is a nice extra but not too vital as the main areas i mf my hdin are river of flame and chaos sanctuary - so no real need to be able to tp over walls.

EDIT - i have the items to trade for the runes, but i don't see the need for an enigma really over my skulders so i'll keep hold of my items to trade for items needed on newer char's as i make them.

As you may guess i get my resists from other gear items, but i tend to start mf'ing with maxed (75 not 90) res all, then gradually cut the res's down to add more mf where possible to try and find a balance where i can live and kill easily and get as much mf in as possible.

You didn't post your gear so i don't know what else you are using so this makes a better answer impossible :D

4. mastrinidad

mastrinidad IncGamers Member

For me, Id still choose my enigma..it gets me out of tough jams when I get swarmed (tho as a hammerdin, I shouldnt really be getting swarmed at all unless I was rushing too fast.) tho the 90 resists certainly is nice to look at, I find that just wearing a T-gods and a wisp ring or doing a switch to a lightsabre and some other really great resists shield (another HOZ if youre uber)..i still kill really fast with over 9k in hammer power. The only other type of creatures I hate are the exploding little ones in act 3. Which is prob why enigma rules there too...fast porting away from them.

5. tl998

tl998 Banned

And for those of us who are poor, an ammy with tele charges still works wonders. It just takes 20 seconds to portal, recharge, and return to whatever dungeon you're teleporting thru. That way you can keep your 90 res all AND teleport.

For mfing, is a 50% FCR enough? I'll switch outmy magefists for a chancies most likely so I'll only have the FCR from wizardspike. I'l also be using a ptopaz tarnhelm, and a 4 ptopaz armor. This will give me a nice 190+ mf while still retaining max resists in hell. I should be able to run the pit ok like this right?

6. DS-SoulThief

DS-SoulThief IncGamers Member

I'd go with Enigma for PvM hands down. Use a wisp projector for MF and lightning absorb and gloams are no longer a problem. I've never run into any trouble vs other elements on my enigma hammerdin. The only issues I have usually come from monsters that deal magic damage (bone spears from the serpant magus ect). The teleport on enigma really helps with things like baal, meph, andy, and diablo runs. Also teleport is very useful in aiming hammers vs monsters that run away like archers in the pit or baal. If you can afford it then definetly go with enigma

7. nSin

nSin IncGamers Member

You dont know the wonders of enigma till you tried it, it works so much better. Look at it + skill + mf + strength + r/w (actually helps too somethimes). Sure guardian angel is nice, but the only time you need it is against black souls, and switching verdungos/arachnid with tgods for that one time works just as good.

With enigma you can run diablo in like 2 minutes and even less for andy and mephisto. If you MF baal too then that speed is about cut in half too, allthough I would walk trough worldstone instead, it's quite good for mfing. Also running pindle is a lot easier with enigma

8. Farnham_the_Drunk

Farnham_the_Drunk IncGamers Member

It is not necessary.. but neither is playing D2.. why do you play D2? Cuz it's fun.. same thing with Enigma.. if you run Baal for mf (I prefer chaos sanc.) then just throw on some lit absorb while you are tele'ing.. trust me you'll fall in love.. oh the beauty of it all.. if you STILL prefer resists.. then go with CoH.. much better armor sure you don't have 90 resist all but it's not like you really need it..

9. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

For my mf hammerdin I use a good ole skullder with a p topaz. Resistance are all maxed out but lighting at 85. For teleport purposes, I have a Naj's staff on switch which provides 69 teleport charges at about 2k $ per charge. I have about 250-300 % mf which proves to be sufficient. My resistances mainly come from my HoZ but I still carry around a couple grand charms with high resistances

10. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

My vote is Enigma. As mentioned before, there are other ways to resist gloams, such as tgod's + whisp (actually just tgod's will be completely fine).

Actually, since a gloam's hit (and any ranged damage in the game right now) is bugged to do their physical damage as well as their elemental damage with a ranged hit, the extra 8% dmg red on Enigma will help with the gloam's damage as well!

Enigma makes things so much easier, and if you have good cast rate, so much safer. Try it out! you won't be disappointed.

--fatty

11. vorlon98

vorlon98 IncGamers Member

my mate and i both have palas as our main char at the moment.i have a frost knight.went from GA to shaft(couldnt get a hoz then so was going for max dr)
    upgraded shaft and now CoH. he has a hammerdin with enigma.basiclly he rocks.massive damage and gets where hes going fast. makes a difference getting to meph or baal if you dont have to walk all the way, killing every monster on the way. CoH is okay cos 65 res means i can fill up on life charms