Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

is Energy Shield viable for melee Enchantress?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by MANTICORE, May 14, 2008.

1. MANTICORE

MANTICORE IncGamers Member

is Energy Shield viable for melee Enchantress?

Hi guys ;)

Is Energy Shield viable for melee enchantress? i play 1.10

ive seen some guides describing it as a waste since elemental attacks are "supposedly" not filtered through energy shield... would like to clear that up b4 i waste too many points on my char.

thanks ;)

2. DH Amazon

DH Amazon IncGamers Member

Re: is Energy Shield viable for melee Enchantress?

not good, too much mana burners around.

IMO, no
    Melee sorc is one of the safest sorc anyway, with max block and 1200... life
    Max and even stacked resist quite easy to get.
    Mana burners+minios are everywhere, so lots of life needed too if using energy shield.
    You dont use mana, so putting point to energy is more waste then usual (you have free tele, high warmth keep mana bulb full)
    You dont have much extra points, so full energyshield not possible
    Prebuffing, its big no. Its nice at start, but soon its so annoying.

And last, if you merc can survive with just 3 items and 2hander, you do something really wrong if you cannot survive while using shield.

off:
    Full game hell travincal is best place to learn how to play melee sorc. Lots of immunities and cursing. They hit hard back. Usually manaburner there too. Those bugged hydras are nice too, you learn how to keep merc alive. Melee sorc can clear this place fast and its one of the funniest place for melee char anyway.

3. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

I agree that it's not a great investment, but...

Melee sorcs typically don't need a lot of mana. In fact, other than teleport, they don't really need any mana at all... So I don't think it's a bad idea to go with a single-point in ES, full life, and use your ES as a "one-shot damage-reducer".

Odds are, one good hit will kill your ES and drain your manapool, but if it knocks ~40% off of the damage of that single attack, sometimes that lost mana is worth it (and sometimes it isn't, especially if you don't have enough mana regeneration to get your ability to teleport back quickly enough to avoid attack #2). And if you find that you don't like this, you simply don't need to recast ES when the shield goes down.

I haven't tried this in-game, but I think it could work well once you "get a feel" for which monsters you want the ES for and which ones you don't.

FYI, everytime I've tried ES in general PvM play (about 3-4 times), I've been completely underwhelmed. Manaburn is too frequent, as is poison damage, so a lot of bosspacks can scare the crap out of you.

4. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

I find that my zealot last ladder died faster with ES than without. No mana = no tele and no zeal. Granted, it was 1 point, but still, any heavier investment will give you problems with mana burners.

5. MANTICORE

Cool , thanks guys.... now i gotta decide what to do with the remaining points, maybe a little fo and cold mastery.... mmmm decisions decisions :)

6. sirpoopsalot

I've tried 3 different Enchantresses... FrozenOrb was the most reliable backup of the options I've tried (although I really liked the Kingslayer/Vengeance/Masteries sorc the best, that build was much more gear dependent and the really dangerous monsters were tough to tank... which isn't a problem with FO).

7. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Actually, i read Ssog's enchantless guide, and he made a "tank sorc" which he said is the best tank in the game, and that's probably true. They max energy shield and warmth, don't care about resistances and get as much damage reduction as possible (only -x damage, not -x% damage). They then equip lots of +skill gear so their energy shield turns to level 40. then they will cast energy shield and switch back to normal gear. That energy shield will last more than half an hour and will make 95% of all damage go to mana. if you have a damage reduction of 30, the enemy will need to inflict more than 600 damage to affect your red orb. And with maxed warmth, many points into energy and + mana items, mana won't be a problem except against mana burners since it will replenish so fast. and you will be quite much invincible even against mana burners too. Because even if you only have 1 mana left, the energy shield will still have full effect. And you will usually regenerate a bit of mana in between the mana burner's hits, so even a mana burner may find it hard to kill a tank sorc. and it's a good thing that resists are counted after the energy shield. Because that means you can walk around in hell with -100% resistances and not be affected by it. The tank sorc is usually a melee character who maxes fire mastery and warmth and either maxes enchant too or uses a demon limb to enchant herself. Energy shield is a very useful skill and can make a sorc an even better tank than a barbarian.

8. sirpoopsalot

The problem with mana burn is that it's bugged... it removes something like 256x more from your mana than it should, so a MB hit that should remove ~20 mana will actually remove over 5000. So, it's virtually impossible to keep your ES up full time around manaburners... and then you're left with very low life.

(Note: I'm not certain if Manaburn hits always collapses the shield - sometimes it seemed to stay up for a moment for me, even after a MB hit that should've dropped the shield. But, for the most part, the shield would get dropped almost immediately by manaburn.)

Also, if you have ~1 mana and ES active, the damage will carry over to your life pool. So, if you have 1 mana, ES is active, and get hit for 100 damage, even with ~30 PDR you're still going to get ~70 damage to your life.

And as for being the best tank, I think Borborygmus and Spongebob would have something to say about that. :grin:

9. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

well, you're maybe right. but i still think it's worth 20 skill points to be invincable to almost all enemies except mana burners

10. MANTICORE

mmm..... yeah , for now il go with fo (nice to have a ranged attack).... il do more research into the whole energy shield..... :) thanks dudes :)

11. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

But a lot of monsters *are* mana burners. It's a pretty common unique boss mod.

Since it is not that hard to survive without ES either, I'd rather use those points somewhere else.