Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is Dual Elementalist Build still viable?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by RedHeaven, Feb 7, 2004.

1. RedHeaven

RedHeaven IncGamers Member

Is Dual Elementalist Build still viable?

Hey guys,

Someone mentioned this in another post and I thought it merited having its own thread.

I quit playing and just returned back to D2 after a long while. I'm happy with most of the changes in 1.10, but the one thing about synergies and most of the guides I've seen is that it looks like it locks you into being 1, maybe 2 element only (in the case of windys).

Do you need to max every synergy for a skill to do well in hell? Would it be successful to make an elementalist that makes use of both fire and cold/wind spells?

I play PvM, but if anyone has any suggestions or sample builds, I'd appreciate it.

Best,
    RH

2. Lithan

Lithan IncGamers Member

No, you dont need to max. A wind druid could get away with just 1 point in twister and not suffer too much. Since there are NO negatives to putting a point in any skills (added duration like many poison skills, added mana cost like Corpse explode or multishot, etc) generally you should max the skills you will use most first. I'd recommend 1 in everything needed to get a bear, 1 in oak sage, 1 in everything up to hurricane... and when you have skills to spare Max them in this manner (in my opinion and descending priority).

1. Hurricane
    2. Cyclone armor
    3. Tornado
    4. Oak Sage

This should leave you with about two dozen points to spare. I think ravens would be very useful to extend the life of your other summons and your merc as well as making targeting easier with tornado (and help protect you from range attackers... Dark souls in hell can rip down cyclone pretty fast... and I think the succubus attack is physical). Or you could max Twister for the extra damage on tornado and hurricane. Or you could pump up your bear (I wouldn't recommend this as +skills and oak sage should keep a level 1 bear alive sufficiently well, and he is dirt cheap to resummon anyway.) You could try and get a vine, but I'd consider that a waste also. I don't know how good you could make a fire skill with only 10-24 points (depending on what level you get to) but that's another thought. Maybe volcano to deal with cold and phys immunes (and some added damage for bosses who will sit still for ya) plus with a lightning merc from act 3 you have all elements except poison covered. I'm probably going max twister myself. Or maybe do something like 15 twister and a few pts in raven to get myself 100% blind with +skills.

3. Burnt_toasty

Burnt_toasty IncGamers Member

Im running the coutner argument to Lithan's post. No.

Why? Read your own post, you already answered it. Its 1.10 and what did 1.10 change for monsters? Gave them more life, more dmg, better AI, better spawn mods, and they also spawn more (bigger packs). That basically does lock you into 2 trees because if you picka 3rd, your using sacrificing alot of dmg. Its just not worth it.

Its like saying lets install a TV, frige and sun roof into a formula 1 race car.

Your job is to kill them before tehy kill you, not dilly dally.

4. disci

disci IncGamers Member

Isnt Volcano usefull, with out any synergys, as a boss killer.
    Somehow I recall it is.
    Anyway that way it could be nice dual element druid :)

5. Zarfol

Zarfol IncGamers Member

I tried a dual elementalist in single player (from the 1.10 beta item warehouse. There is a level 99 with 2.5 million gold and 98 skill points. No equipment and no quests done, so i didn't get the full 110 skill points.). I think the layout was
    20 armageddon
    20 fissure
    20 hurricane
    20 tornado
    10 twister
    8 synergies for armageddon

I tried volcano earlier, but it did too little damage because the monsters are too smart to sit in the volcano for a really long time (plus, it's timer is waaaaay too long)

Basically, I ran armageddon and hurricane at the same time to create a sort-of mass destruction area zone around my driud (no summons). I just ran around in circles around groups of enemies. I had no +skills (because i had no way to get items). My damage for hurricane was about 1000 and armageddon was around 1700. That's pretty good considering no + skills.

It took about 40 to clear bloody foothills with that lowish damage. That was 1 player's mode too :(

+10 skills would probably bump the damage up about 1500 for armageddon and 500 for hurricane.

The good thing was that my tornado was pulling 2000 damage, so i could hurricane, armageddon, then start spamming tornados (which would put the monsters in stun because it did more than 1/8th damage). However, I just got swarmed when my hurricane ran out.

Try the build on your own and see how you like it. It's lots of fun even though it is tough.