Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is Diablo III for me?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Dnttryme, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Dnttryme

Dnttryme Banned

Is Diablo III for me?

We'll I have been a blizz fan ever since a friend of mine loaned me WC3. I played SC before but the space theme just wasnt for me, warcraft seemed to fit an RTS game better. I played wow for a few years and stopped after I hit gladiator twice in TBC.

I like the PvP aspect of WoW and enjoy the world size. It's also always fun to play a game knowing you will be able to play with other people if you want to every time you are on it. Now after watching some blizzcon videos it seems like the DIII team is really trying to push aside the pvp aspect of the game. It is clear that this is an important part of the game to players but they consistently said it was a secondary aspect to them. Fair enough, I get that this game is more about the PvE aspect which is fine with me. Though it is clear that the PvP content in the game is important to the community.

If I get this game, will the size of the world be apparent? The siege level seemed like a cool idea, but will I be running along the same 100 feet of battlement the entire time?I realize this is an exaggeration, but it seems like a game that I would want to explore but there would be lots of areas you can see but never go. Does the game adequately portray the size of the world? DO you feel that you are part of a larger world, or is it simply different levels?

I realize I just rambled on a bit, but basically what I am trying to find out is why does everyone that plays diablo seem to love it so much? I have tried to play DII but I just cant, I think that has to do with the fact that I never played it when it was a newer game (it being so outdated now).

Oh, and yes I realize that I played WoW, and for some reason some people who have played Diablo games in the think that they are better than people who played WoW and seem to hate the game because it was popular. I really dont want to turn this into a "WoW sucks, gtfo and dont play Diablo thread" I just want to know why people love Diablo.

2. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Is Diablo III for me?

We don't know about the scope of the world.

The longevity is attributed to addicting mechanics (such as loot hunt) and replayability in form of build variety and randomization. "Why everyone likes Diablo so much" is subjective.

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

i can only offer my view on the matter. i love building characters. in wow i have 10 level 80 characters but none have killed the lich king. i tend to max out then make a new. just love building characters for some reason. D1 and D2 both were fun to make new characters and D3 looks to be a big improvement over them both. of course it goes deeper than that for me. i like the story behind the diablo series. i remember reading the D1 manual several times just cause it interested me. the idea of heaven vs hell with us caught in the middle is one i love. also like konfeta said, item hunting is fun as is killing waves of monsters instead of 1 at a time. without playing the game D3 looks to be an improvement over D2 is so many ways

4. fromtheshadow

fromtheshadow Diabloii.Net Member

the appeal for when i was first introduced to Diabo (and i first played D2 of the series then played D1 a number of years later) was the fact that all classes were human (rather than dwarf or orc and etc) and they were fighting against an opposition that was seemingly unstoppable, not only in brute force but that they also utilized humans in their war machine even if the humans were good to begin with. examples of this are abound in D1 and D2 and some of the main characters have this fate.

i also like the theme of creepy, conventionally evil characters being actually good in the end(and also conventionally good characters being bad), and diablo 2 had a little bit of this in the necromancer.
    there is also a feeling of sadness in diablo in general which is the result of so much death in the world and the hopelessness of humans. gives the game a semi realistic feel, after there is a lot of death and hopelessness in the world right now(and no one cares about it:ashamed:)

this is why i liked the witcher series a lot too, there is alot of sadness and grey tones in there.

I really hope Diablo 3 keeps this mood, atleast the cinematic trailer implied it still does.

I played WC3 myself and liked it but it isn't as god as the diablo series, and you never get the feelings i described, even though there is implied death and agony in the warcraft universe, but everyone seem ok in warcraft series they are just getting ready for another adventure. the only lore pat in warcraft that was good was ARTHAS(his story was sad) and he is dead now unclimatically.

oh, and there is also great game play!

5. Andy2702

Andy2702 Diabloii.Net Member

Okay. Where the hell do I start.

The last time I played Diablo II was in 2008. The time before that was in 2006. Before that, early 2005. Before that, 2003. Before that, ever since the game came out. What am I planning to do now once I'm done with work? Start Diablo 2 again for the umpteenth time. You should too.

I like MMORPGs simply because of the "connected" feeling I get while playing. I loved Diablo 2 for so many more reasons. It is absolutely addicting. I think the only way I can express my love for the game is to list it out, so here goes:

1. Random random randomness. Pure Randy Randomson in the whole game. You never know what you're going to get in terms of items and that always keeps you on the edge. The maps are spawned randomly (and will be even improved more in Diablo 3), so in terms of map size, it will be levels, but it will be random so everything will be different every time you play.
    2. The amount of randomness that you can create your character with. No fixed attributes like World of Warcraft, and pretty cool customization for a 1990s game.
    2. Chaos. Nothing beats the sheer chaos that is involved in slaying over a hundred monsters with your bare hands. My screen always screamed awesome epicness whenever I played. I miss that.
    3. Did I mention chaos? You feel like a TOTAL badass. I'm talking Liam Neeson + Robert DeNiro + Sylvestor Stallone + Jason Statham + Clint Eastwood badass. You don't get that in World of Warcraft.
    4. Hours and hours of good frustration and fun that was just totally awesome.
    5. The people here, 'nuff said.
    6. Even getting SCAMMED was fun. No exaggeration.
    7. Replayability. That is the single reason why I want to play it again in the coming weeks.
    8. The intrinsic reward you feel and gain when you achieve or obtain something awesome. No other game has done that to the degree that Diablo 2 has.
    9. Trading, economy. The lack of a trade system made it have one of the best trade systems ever (you got to play to understand). Auction houses seem to be Blizzard's easy way out for creating a trading system.
    10 - 1000. Chaos, fun, random luck, feel-good factor, people, etc.

I could go on and on... My point is it's never too late to play Diablo 2. Although most of battle.net now is swarmed by bots and hackers, it's still loads of fun. I played World of Warcraft and I was an addict, but World of Warcraft addiction was really different from Diablo 2 addiction.

World of Warcraft : heroin :: Diablo 2 : heroin on steroids

Hope you will enjoy Diablo 3. PvP is overrated.

6. elganame

elganame Diabloii.Net Member

Diablo 2 will never be outdated, i bet a lot of people will play diablo still after D3 released.

You should play it and try to get over the "Outdated graphics". They are actualy some fu**ing great artworks 3d engine never can match!

I also agree that MMO games had this 1 monster kill per atack, and diablo makes you feel like an avalanch. You enter a room floded with monsters from the pit and you wipe the crap out of them alone. That was not awesome. THAT IS EPIC!

I think D3 will be Blizzards best game, it will beat WoW and Starcraft, and it will be played some long years to come, just like the first two of them.

7. nurman

nurman Diabloii.Net Member

/Thread :whistling:

8. Azmodean

Azmodean Diabloii.Net Member

I've played both Diablo 2 and WoW for a long time at a very high level in both. As others have said, the loot system in Diablo is one of the biggest draws and why I find myself playing countless hours of it. While you often end up running the same things over and over, which is true of WoW as well, there is randomness both to the layouts, the characteristics of many of the monsters you will come across, and the type of loot you will come across. Also, at least in Diablo 2 though its uncertain from what I've heard how it will be handled in Diablo 3, you can transfer items from one character to another which the heavy BoP system really hampers in WoW. That goes hand in hand with the enjoyment that comes with rerolling a different Diablo class. They play very differently in most cases and are viable solo as well as with a group depending on your play style. Being a one man/woman killing machine is also supremely satisfying.

Some of the things you mentioned liking WoW does a lot better than Diablo, unfortunately. The amount of area you can explore is somewhat limited. The zones all have walls that limit where you can go and is more linear in that respect. There is a pretty good variety of environments, though, so it wont always be battlements or desert or whatever. PVP is also pretty lacking in Diablo 2 in my opinion, though I've got high hopes for the new arena system they are planning for Diablo 3, even though I don't like the WoW arenas. Also, I'd say that WoW is better in the social aspect as well, but that may be because I never really tried to network with players in Diablo 2.

If you enjoy leveling up and collecting gear, I would highly suggest picking up Diablo because I'd say there isn't a game out there that does it better. Sorry for all the text.

9. Apocalypse

if they placed a shared stash in a D2 patch i would agree with this statement until they i cant even play it anymore. i cant imagine playing any ARPG again without a shared stash

10. Dnttryme

Dnttryme Banned

So the maps are random? I am sorry for the confusion, but this is tough for me to wrap my head around having never seen it in action.

Are the themes of levels the same but the layout is changed? Or is everything different? If someone could explain this a bit more I would really appreciate it. Sounds like a great feature.

Another thing. I notice that the team gives backgrounds on the heroes (the Barb comes from here, the WD from here etc.). Now are these areas in the games? Can you go to your homeland if you wish? I would seem kind of odd if they mentioned these places and you could never go to them.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  11. Andy2702

Andy2702 Diabloii.Net Member

If I remember correctly, someone correct me if I'm wrong, is that the theme is exactly the same, but the layout is completely different. A door that may be one place in one game will be in another place in another game, as with all other stuff.

As for the homeland question, I'm not entirely sure but I don't think you can because that's not how Diablo is laid out (it's by acts, or stages). Why would you ever feel homesick when you can kill hundreds and thousands of monsters?

12. Risingred

Risingred Diabloii.Net Member

I would suggest playing Diablo II and coming to your own conclusions. It's pretty cheap now, even if dated.

13. Dnttryme

Dnttryme Banned

yeah I think I will give Diablo 2 a try. I have been having video game issues lately. Having my own 360 now (not a shared one with roommates or siblings) I have nothing on the HDD. I have games like Assassin's Creed 2 and Fable 2 and I know I like but just cannot get past the introduction parts. Hopefully D2 will be a change of pace for me, having never played an action rpg with a fixed camera view

14. Apocalypse

agreed. play D2 and if you like it i expect you will love D3. you could also get d2x but probably dont need to, i thought d2x was amazing and sucked all at the same time

15. ThomasJ

ThomasJ Diabloii.Net Member

Well if you played WoW you will like this because there is very little distinction between the two games. Hope you enjoy!

16. konfeta

You can safely ignore TJ's post. Though, Diablo 2 is not fully representative of Diablo 3 because it is introducing quite a few changes to the details of the formula.

17. ThomasJ

Both share battle grounds, gear grind,art style, similar classes and skills, gemming is like jewelcrafting. The only real major difference is the artisans feature and WoW does not have cinematics. So there ya have it in a nutshell. He will feel right at home.

18. konfeta

I hate quoting myself, but.... this discussion has been carried out. http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783140&page=7

Short version for OP - World of Warcraft shares superficial similarities in art, usage of certain gameplay systems. It is also vastly different in enough core gameplay aspects that saying "Diablo 3 is liek WOW" has about as much intelligence and evidence behind it as statements to the like of:

"Team Fortress 2 is like Counter Strike which is like Modern Warfare 2"

"Starcraft is like Warcraft 3 which is like Dawn of War"

And so on. Many ARPG players hate World of Warcraft style gameplay, and visa versa. Liking one is not an indication that you will like the other without in-depth analysis of why you like either - and even then, the things they share will end up being very different in concept and/or execution. Yes, they are both RPGs. But then they diverge into different subgenres and the comparison crumbles much, much harder then the ones I just listed.

19. Ninyu

Ninyu Diabloii.Net Member

Diablo and WoW have PvP, equipment, fighting, armor, crafting, and demons. They are exactly the same!!!11!111 Thanks ThomasJ for your amazing insight.

*cough* WoW does have cinematics *cough*

20. ThomasJ

As I said very little distinction between the 2 games and what you listed is pretty much common sense distinctions.
    it is even dumb to continue talking about it because when the rose-colored glasses are on it becomes senseless. Anyway, I'm sure he will like the game.