Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is Diablo an Addiction?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by surburas, Feb 2, 2004.

?

Work out per week

1. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 2-3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 3-5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5-7 - omg, i r teh ripped

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. surburas

surburas IncGamers Member

Is Diablo an Addiction?

Last night my wife made a comment as I quitetly climbed into bed a 2:30 in the morning that got me all defensive. She said "I think it is time for some addiction counseling", my first reaction was f you go back to sleep but then I thought about it. Most nights while everyone else is asleep I am sitting there clicking away for hours on end. I am here again today reading the posts, trying to stay in touch with the game and wanting to get some kill time in. Some may say "Get a life", I do have a life, play Hockey on Sunday nights, play volyball on Tuesday nights, most weekends are spent renovating my house and I still find time for my three kids and my wife.

I am just curious how all of you feel about "Play time".

Dictionary definition

2. stormpool

stormpool IncGamers Member

I have problems getting it out of my head sometimes, even during sex.. ARGH!!! it's killing me..

3. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

I'm a functioning Diabloholic. I carefully schedule a few hours a day free time in which I do nothing but play Diablo, so it doesn't interfere with the rest of my life. Of course, that's also what I do in my unscheduled free time.

4. KillerQueen

KillerQueen IncGamers Member

At one time I was addicted. I had to play all the time, and when I wasn't I would think about it. I don't think it was the game, it was finding stuff.

One day I was at the grocery store and I saw Russet... and got excited, it was just potatoes. I uninstalled when I got home. I still play now, but finding stuff doesn't have an effect on me, so I don't feel the need to play often.

5. Cerberus

Cerberus IncGamers Member

Ouch...

I often think about runs, builds, tactics when I have problems falling asleep (maybe i should have clicked the "denial"-thing... ).
    I think many see the forums as a social thing as much as a way of making faster progress in the game. Then again it would have been a shame if we didn´t.
    Anyway I think it´s a good thing this post came up. Addictions can really sneak up on you. Have i minute to think it over.

6. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

do you mean the game or posting in the forums?

7. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

Both. That's why it's so horrible to be away from a Net-capable computer for a weekend. But then I get to use a computer that has DII!

8. Vladicus

Vladicus IncGamers Member

I would have to say I am addicted.
    I play on Fridays and Saturdays until about 5:00 AM, and sporadically within the rest of the week.

Today when I get home, I will install my old copy of Fallout 2, and at least cut down on Diablo. This **** is harmful.

9. Aladdin_IV

Aladdin_IV IncGamers Member

I had to leave my Diablo II CD and characters at home because otherwise I would be playing it instead of studying. :(

10. Saboteur

Saboteur IncGamers Member

I'm an addict in recovery. I've been clean for a while now though. I think Diablo is an addiction although I'm not playing nowadays. I chose option 1 since it was most appropriate all the same (it's not like I think I'm cured, no way, anyone who's ever been addicted to the game will probably be vulnerable for a very long time - I should know!). And I never stopped reading the forums, even though I mostly lurk.

11. HippityHoppity

HippityHoppity IncGamers Member

well it is an adiction..whenever i have free time i play it or x box... *would rather play rainbow six* but hey who wants to piss of there big bro and get beat on all day long.. not me.. but i dunno its more addicting when u quit and then start again.... btw if u wanna get cured just get realllly rich and give alaway allll ur items.. or "accidentally" get hacked by spamming ur pass in public channels... :p :p

12. Mythreal

Mythreal IncGamers Member

Mythreal

Diablo is certainly compelling, as are many computer games. I think there are many interests, or hobbies that suck people in way to deep. Diablo is more of a big time waster for me, not so much like a chemical dependency. But Im sure some people have wasted there life playing games like Diablo. I wish I played less, so maybe Im in denial. Interesting question this thread raises.

13. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

As I give DII more time in my life than any other thing I think I have to say that it's really the essence of my life. And when I not play I help the members in my clan, think about strategies or discuss the game with someone. My brother and girlfriend are addicts too, so we discuss it on the bus and so on... "Normal" people seem to think we're a bit odd talking about "killing", "exploding corpses", "reviving undeads" and items with kind of strange names. But well, they don't know it's a game we're discussing.

14. Cerberus

Cerberus IncGamers Member

The game..
    What i meant to say was that the forums might not be so much about having a gaming addiction, but a social thing (as well as gamerelated).

edit: If you meant my post..

15. dop_obo

dop_obo IncGamers Member

Well, I picked "denial" for lack of better options. :)

I play D2 when I have no other obligations: work, social, etc. I've been known to arrange my life around the game, such as doing laundry around Baal runs, or catching a later movie so I can hang with friends on D2 while they're on, etc. I don't let it affect my work, but when I don't have to work, I'll play for hours after my normal bedtime. Is this addicted? If I'm addicted, I don't mind...there's a lot worse addictions out there. :stoned:

16. SPIDERfrank

SPIDERfrank IncGamers Member

This is so true...

I'm in college, I play a sport, I have a girlfriend going on a year and 8 months... and I can't stop playing the darn game! Sometimes in class I start thinking about new builds and stat point distribution and such. Sometimes I'm in bed, before I fall asleep, and start thinking of how easily I can turn the computer back on and try to trade for that Herald of Zakarum I really need. No day goes by without me thinking of it, and it's getting in the way of sports and school. Even my girlfriend hates the game, so I'm like sneaking here and there when shes around or not to peak at the forums even. I need to get off this damn game and I don't even care if I start another game b/c I know I won't get addicted like I am to Diablo. Sometimes I want to smash the disc, and I probably willl very soon!

17. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

My addiction goes through highs and lows. I live a very idyllic life and have very few financial worrys or obligations, so I'm usually free to do as I please.

I've been known to play this game for 16-17 hour stretches sometimes. But I get sick of it too. I'll play on a steady basis for a month or so, then walk away for a month -- usually to play something else. I'm taking a break from D2 right now. I've been in the mood for some other games that have been collecting dust on their cases; mainly, SOF2, Civ3, and Enclave. Canadia142 just introduced me to Day of Defeat recently so I'm also looking into that.

Who am I kidding, I'm a bonafide Game Addict -- I'm just not limited to one game.

18. GIR

GIR Banned

Ok... time for you to quit.

19. StarMage

StarMage IncGamers Member

I finally lost my addiction to this game. Ever since I hit the slopes (went skiing with friends) with -5 degree Farenheit winds and 5 degree temps, my mind had some sort of a "chillin shockin wake up jolt" that snapped me out of my addiction. For some strange reason, I totally lost interest in the game, all my mule accounts have expired but I don't care, and I find myself now looking forward to WoW (I signed up for beta :D) Maybe I'll still get addicted to games, but probably not with D2 anymore.

I sometimes look back at how I much I played D2 during my addiction, and I can't believe how I've wasted so much time.

20. surburas

surburas IncGamers Member

Just out of curiosity (no negativity intended) if you are cured of your addiction why are you here reading the message boards?

Getting a quick fix or just staying in touch?

The main reason I started this thread was to see how people truly thought they interpreted their connection/dependence to the game. If you are here reading the posts then at some point you are going to play Diablo again. You want to play and are actually having to restrain yourself not to play. I did read the part "snapped me out of my addiction" and "Maybe I'll still get addicted to games, but probably not with D2 anymore".

The worst part is once you get a taste of online gaming regardless of the game you want more. :confused: The most interesting thing about online gaming is it really entices all age groups. It is a social experience, with no physical contact.

Oh well, back to work :(