Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is D3:RoS the best PC RPG with PvP ?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by The Lich, Aug 9, 2015.

?

Do you think D3:RoS is the best PC RPG, or at least the best RPG with a PvP feature?

1. Yes, it's the best RPG

2. It's the best RPG with a PvP feature

3. Not the best RPG, but among the top ones

4. Not that great

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. The Lich

The Lich IncGamers Member

Hey guys,

I am considering coming back to Diablo 3 and I would like you opinion on this game and Reaper of souls in particular:

I was a big fan of Diablo 2. I used to mf, gf, do key runs, trade on forums, have tons of items on mules... all of which to have fun and to support my wish to be a better PvP player, especially in 1v1 (I really enjoyed my 18k dmg PvP blizzard sorceress, if I remember well).

I played Diablo 3 at launch for a while (did reach paragon levels on 2 characters), wasn't entirely satisfied and quit.

I am thiking of playing a RPG again, but I am not sure if it should be Diablo 3 or another game. I was reminded of Diablo 3 when I read an article stating that it was in the top 10 most sold games ever (30 000 000 copies ?!?).

Here are my questions for you guys:

Do you think Diablo 3 Reaper of souls is the best PC RPG, or at least the best RPG with a PvP feature ?

How many players still play out of the millions that bought it? 5 M ? 1 M ? 500 000 ? 100 000 ?

Is the PvP feature interesting ?

I haven't bought Reaper of Souls yet: did you buy the Deluxe edition to get more character slots? Since the "Ultimate Evil Edition" (D3 + RoS) is only available on consoles, can we still get the nice Nemesis Kills feature ?

Is there any other great features that distingish D3:RoS from other RPGs, or features that other great RPGs have that are not in D3:RoS ?

EDIT: I have also bought The Witcher 3 in the Steam summer sale, which I haven't played much yet. I loved Skyrim just as I loved Diablo 2, so TW3 may be an option as well, even though there's no PvP in solo games, sometimes they are still great.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  2. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer IncGamers Member

I think D3 is the best RPG out there in general, but not for traditional PvP. Brawling is a joke. If that's all you're really looking for, this probably isn't the game for you. D3 is only really competitive in the sense of getting to the top of grift leaderboards.

Hard to say how many people are playing. Last figure I can find is from March 2013 - 1M players daily, 3M unique players each month. I'd imagine it's a bit higher since ROS' release.

Nemesis is still console-only. None of the console-only features from UEE have made it over to PC (yet).

The Lich likes this.
  3. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

- Do you think Diablo 3 Reaper of souls is the best PC RPG, or at least the best RPG with a PvP feature ?

Best RPG, absolutely not (if you want best ARPG... maybe. But with All RPGs i become more interested in plot and charachters and all sorts of stuff that are just badly lacking in D3). Best RPG with PvP? i don't feel really qualified to speak about that, as I don't spend much time PCPing in any of my games. That said, my understanding is that D3's PvP "system" (such as it is) is fairly awful.

- How many players still play out of the millions that bought it? 5 M ? 1 M ? 500 000 ? 100 000 ?
    No idea. It certainly is emptier than at launch, but that's expected. I haven't played it in almost over a year myself (until last week and change). It's the sort of game you can always hop out and in of though, which is nice. It won't run away on you.

- Is the PvP feature interesting ?
    As I said above, I'm really not qualified to talk about PvP.

- D3X
    I don't have much to say about the expansion. I bought the standard version. I'm fine with the charachter slots I have. Your mileage may vary. Use your best judgement.

- More "Best RPG Stuff"
    This is 1) way too subjective to really answer (my requirements for best RPG almost certainly aren't the same as yours) and 2) way too vague. I would hardly even consider D3 an RPG personally... you have empty template characters who're never given any choices in a pretty hacky (imo) storyline. You have no say in their stat development either, and the entire leveling process is extremely trivial. You say you played skyrim too and loved it. That's a good example. Both games are fun, but I don't see how you can compare them at all - they're qualitatively different things, trying to achieve different goals.

I wouldn't act like this is a once in a lifetime choice or anythign either. YOu can always pick up D3 later. Like I said, it won't run off on you.

The only word of warning I have is if you're considering witcher 3 on PC. I bought it after reading a million glowing reviews. But I can't play it. The movement and camera simply makes me cry. I tried to get used to it, and it's not happening, ever. I'm sure it has a great story, and lots of great mechanics, but that one thing completely ruined it for me. So when you're reading the million and one glowing reviews, take that into account. ... again though, subjective. Clearly lots of people aren't bothered.

The Lich likes this.
  4. The Lich

The Lich IncGamers Member

Thanks guys, I really liked your input: it is true that D3 won't run away, I can pick it up later. I am kind of sad about the lack of good PvP.

I ended up starting The Witcher 3 for now. I didn't like it for the few like 1-3 hours, but when you hit 5+ hours on it, it gets good, then even better. I'll probably play D3 at some point, but not until I finish TW3 (200-300 hours from what I heard).

One thing that I did love about D2 was this forum. Epic people, still the same! :)

5. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

I'm jealous you can play the witcher 3. It really does seem fantastic, but for the life of me I can't handle movement/camera controls. I might give it a third shot at some point since it's still on my pc. I can't explain why I'm so bad at it. Maybe if I try using a controller it will work better or something...

Anyways - when you do pick up D3, hopefully it'll either finally be on discount or there'll be a second expansion coming out for you~