Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is -act5 considered cheating here?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Scrute, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Scrute

Scrute IncGamers Member

Is -act5 considered cheating here?

I seem to get mixed responses depending on where and who I ask... This community, what little I know of it, seems to be the best players, so I think I'll stick around, and as such I need to know.

2. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

I would say that if you plan to trade, MP, and particpate in tourney's, then do not use Act5 command. Most people think it is a cheat or hack and will not tollerate it if you plan to particpate in the above mentioned. However, what you do on your own comp is up to you and I don't have as much of a problem w/ the Act5 command as I do w/ the seed command.

3. schillerdc78

schillerdc78 IncGamers Member

as far as i know, everyone arround here starts from the start, so no act five command. i for one like playing normal on my own since you level up pretty fast.

since i postet my two cents in another post, this will be worth three cents

schiller

4. Scrute

Scrute IncGamers Member

Just gets redundant doing normal over and over again, but I'll continue to do it then. Thanks.

5. SideShowBob

SideShowBob IncGamers Member

To quote wildjinn:

---Standard Response---
    Thank you for directing your question to the Single Player forum. Here, we pride ourselves on maintaining a dupe-free, cheat-free, hack-free community. Since we have an active trading community and several competitive ladders, our policy is that of no tolerance towards discussion of item packs, cheats, and hacks.

While we do not condone the use of item packs, cheats or hacks, we recognize that whatever you do on your own computer is of your concern. We would like to suggest that you try and play the game legitimately. In most of our experience, playing with hacked or cheated items or characters greatly detracts from the gameplay value.

If you have questions about specific builds, feel free to ask them. The wealth of experience of the members of this forum will surely be able to give you some great answers.

This standard response has been furnished in order to avoid any unpleasantness between posters on this forum.
    ---End Standard Response---

:lol:

6. red_devil

red_devil IncGamers Member

i know its not welcomed here.. but i dunno what exactly it is.. anyone care to explain me.. :scratch:

7. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

see one of the sticked thread for the "game affecting mod FAQ", I think that what it's called. It explain everything pretty well.

8. Bull(R)

Bull(R) IncGamers Member

I believe it sends your character to act 5 and makes it level 30 (never tried it.. dont care to)..

but yeah that standard response should have been in lime.

Anyways good luck at keeping at it the way we all do.. I know its sometimes :cheesy: boring.

9. narfman0

narfman0 IncGamers Member

It sends your character to act 5 with no waypoints level 33, you can save and exit tweak 'em up and start playing act 5 if you must. Make sure you don't use the waypoint to go to act one though, and you can't use act 5 waypoints until you beat normal. To use it just add -act5 at the end of your shortcut, after the quotations.

10. Milamber

Milamber Banned

It’s been said that this is for fun, and the characters get deleted:

What happens if you come across say a HoZ or a Gaze or some uber-ish item…can we universally say it’d be thrown out?

I remember when threads where locked, people where banned for mentioning ATMA….now these threads are allowed to creep in because of a tolerant stance.

I am not having a go, and I know what people do on their own computer is their business.

What I feel the Forum has always tried to show is we are a no-hack zone…look at another thread pertaining to a universal statement…then we have another…why SP?

If a person comes here as a guest and doesn’t know the community, and reads threads where it states how to do these ‘tricks’ and others where we are not completely against it, the perception of the Forum deteriorates.

In this world – perception is everything.

The author of this works would like to stipulate these are his views, and do not represent the views of the forum singularly or in it’s entirety. This message was not intended to cause a disturbance nor cast blame at anyone (especially Durf) but rather a stipulation of said author’s beliefs and his .02 worth

Batteries sold seperately

Flame...

Now...

11. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

We've gone through this time and time again. The official SPF stance * is that this technique is cheating, and any items gained with these characters are "tainted" and should not be traded here. Nor should you bring these characters into our MP games.

* I realize some members disagree - oh well.

Well said Milamber. :thumbsup:

I suppose there has been more tolerance as of late, and I'll take a lion's share of the blame/credit (take your pick). My personal goal, which I've stated a few times, is to moderate in a way that promotes discussion. That's the real purpose of any forum IMO.

As I read these controversial threads - and there have been quite a few lately :scratch: - I see that the majority feels as you do Milamber, and I am glad. Most want to play the SP game legit, and expect others that trade and MP with them to do the same. But the forum also has members that do neither of those things. Those folks are here mainly to learn more about character builds, enter tourneys, or just chat. They should be allowed to speak threr minds as well. I wouldn't want to silence their voice in any hardline fashion.

I'll step down from my soapbox, now. Just wanted to let some of the newer forum members know where I come from on these matters.

12. Milamber

Milamber Banned

The only problem is that the minority can end up representing the majority.

I don’t come here to wade through the cheat/hack/etc etc threads and have to deal with the:

Don’t get me wrong, I do think the Forum should be open for discussion – however if there is to be talks about cheats etc, maybe there should be:

• A sticky, where all queries about these topics are placed in, or:
    • A separate Forum.

I don’t think its so much about silencing people, its about following guidelines/rules/norms/enter your description here.

Everything we do in life is governed by something, and what our Forum has at the moment is a blurry line of right and wrongs interpretations.

I have only just begun to be a active member of the Forum again, and really my words don’t have much weight.

One one hand we say we do not support hacks/cheats then on the other we allow it to be discussed in a Forum where the majority should rule.

I see links to character planners which unfortunately are on sites not considered ‘good’ to be removed, yet on the other hand we ‘allow’ these discussions.

You cannot have one without the other IMO. In the end, there will be, ‘why can we talk about this one, and not that one’.

It all smacks a little bit.

13. CheekyJez

CheekyJez IncGamers Member

This seems to have been covered enough times... my views:

This question was in the FAQ. Shouldn't have needed to be asked.

BUT: since the question was "is this considered a cheat" rather than "how can i cheat" - I don't think the standard response is appropriate. If after reading the description of how -act5 works, someone decided it was the best thing since sliced bread and they were going to start all their characters like that, THEN the standard response would be the right one. And it would certainly fit a question along the lines of "i've heard you can start characters at level 33, how do i do it?"

My tuppence-worth.