Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is a PVP bowazon still worth building nowdays?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by CaimDark, Sep 9, 2006.

1. CaimDark

CaimDark IncGamers Member

Is a PVP bowazon still worth building nowdays?

I know bowazons are no longer what they once were, but I'm thinkg about trying one, and I don't want to spend tens of hours on one just to find out they can't even kill anyone 40 levels weaker... so, can a bowazon still hold her own in duels? If so, where can I find a good PVP bowazon guide?

2. Thoridian

Thoridian IncGamers Member

Well yes, theyre VERY good BUT they need insane gear and player skills... Without the best stuff (especially charms) and skill u wont see her real power

3. SicHalo

SicHalo IncGamers Member

WORD

to be as effective as possible u cannot hold back on funds with this char, and you need the good skill as well.

The charms are definetly important, u can't really escape with crappy charms that much.

Also there are obvious builds that cause a bowa a hard time.

4. soul killer

soul killer Banned

Bottom lines is if your rich and dont know were to spend your HRs you either give em to me or make a gg bowazon.
    A full pimped bowazon is incredibly difficult to take down.

5. ManiacalPope

ManiacalPope IncGamers Member

Yes, but you have to be rich enough to equip her. As in Faith Matriarchal bow, some sort of +2 to amazon circlet or a p vamp gaze with 40/15 or a 120/45 helm or something of the sort, maybe berber coa... mass bow/xbow gcs, torch, anni, coh or fort, Crafted gloves with LL and +2 bow skills, some sort of sexy boots, etc etc. It's not cheap, at all, expect to spend alot if you want her to be great. But if you're willing youll prolly have one of the hardest characters to kill. I have a friend who has a fully decked out zon and it pretty much pwns all. =/

6. zarfen

zarfen IncGamers Member

dont use bow gc's, go all damage or poison or whatever you want, fill it upp with 3/20/20 :rolleyes: anni torch
    get a forti, good faith bow, good crafted gloves etc.
    gear depends on if you ar gm or bm, if bm you can be a real *ss with lotsa slow and kb and all that fun stuff :thumbsup:

7. CaimDark

I suppose good items won't be a problem to me. I play only single player and with my friends, and we keep an item database of every item we find on mules, and we give each other everything we find. Since I don't play on the realms, remember that I can't use realms only equipment. And how about charms? What exactly do you call "godly charms"?

8. soul killer

soul killer Banned

Max dmg/life scs are gg for bowazons,psn scs are also extremely useful.
    Fill your whole invent. with those and a 20/20 torch and 20/20/xx anni and youll be unstoppable.

9. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

stay away from all types of pallies in pvp as a bowazon

seriously they will rearrange your face in seconds

10. CaimDark

I guess I will start one when I grow bored of my WW barb and my still early in the making Hammerdin. But I need a good, in-depth, PvP guide, where can I find one? The ones I found are either PvM or very basic (use this gear, max these skill, and that's it).

11. CaimDark

Are there no good bowazon guides?

12. Koshio

Koshio IncGamers Member

No, there's not really any bowazon guide in terms of strategy. There's one in the sticky, but that really only outlines gear and skills. My main character is my Bowazon, and 90% of the time when I play my zon I'm dueling, so here's Koshio's Incredible PvP Bowazon Guide!
    A lot of this I already outlined above.

Gear: Basically faith/wf are your two choices. If you're crazy you can go BoTD or a rare or something, though. Everything else is damage and speed. That's your bowazon. Damage and speed. You're looking for +Damage (Razortail and War Travelers) and +Increased Attack Speed. Don't skimp on run speed either, you need it to stay alive.

Skills: I personally duel with a pve-built bowazon. I'm going to rebuild soon into a 20 GA 20 crit 15+ dodges build, though. If you can bear having mad-weak group killing skills, just get GA maxed and then passives. Multishot can be useful and it's usually how I get owned by other bowazons, but I personally do not find it useful mainly due to it draining my mana ridiculously quickly. Get multi if you want, and then only do 5-10 points in it.

Stats: Strength for gear, go for strength bug. It makes you cool. Zero vitality... the only downside to this is auradins/dreamers who will kill you in one shot from off the screen without even thinking about you. Oh, and sorces who get thunderstrike. Rest dex to maximise damage.

Strategy (Fun part)

Lets start with... other amazons!
    Bowazons: I tend to lose against other bowazons, for whatever reason. I can tell you that multishot is what gets me. I generally will pop a decoy to catch a few guideds, but they figure out that I do that pretty quickly and just head straight into the multi-spam, which outdoes my own multi-spam. This is in a fairly close-combat situation with one person cornered though. Bowazon duels can go for quite a while if both are playing conservatively. My advice here would be to break the 'run around dodging unlocked guideds and multis from both people' routine and just head straight in, rambo style. If you die, you die. But at least you're not spending five minutes playing 'catch me if you can' with the other zon.

I have dueled no poizons and the only lightning zons I've dueled were farcasting charged striker newbs, so I can't give you anything there :/

Assassins:
    Trappers: Trappers are fun to fight. The general idea from the zon is to catch the sin in a pause or in mid-teleport. Many sins that I duel like to throw down a few traps from a few screens off towards me, and then teleport close and mindblast lock. Here's where your luck has to kick in... hopefully you can bounce around in blasts enough to dodge the lightning and then run for it. The sin almost always will chase you from here... turn around and melt her face.
    Kickers: Haven't dueled many, and the one or two I have I don't remember the fight ;/

Barbses:
    I love fighting WWBarbs. All you need to do is get your mouse-skills down. What you need to do is lure the barb into wwing and then simply sidestep and fill his face with GAs. Repeat to infinity. You should only die when you screw up or you get caught against some terrain. The problems kick in when they decide "Hey, maybe I can't use WW against this zon. I think I'll just concentrate against them or bezerk." All you can really do here is run and hope you run faster so you can turn around and get off a few GAs.
    BvCs: Laugh when they do their funny jumping, get out of range when they stop to make an approach and shoot. Not much experience here, so that's all I can give you.
    Enigma barbs: Pray. Sidestep and pray.

Sorceresseseses: Blizzard... try to get out of it before the first tick. If the sorc stops her teleporting, start moving immediately. Not much experience here again, so that's all I can give... again. (I'm sorry, but I only pub duel and I never see these types of characters >.>)
    Firebaal: (lol I'm funny) Not too hard to dodge, but it can get hard to get a shot in. Try running away and then turning around to get a few shots in when they teleport after you.'
    Orb: Orb is suck. There's not really going to be any dodging of orb, so just lock and hope you get them at the same time they get you. Or just try to outrun the orb/bolts.

Paladins: Chargers/Smiters... why does everyone and their mom have to have a charger/smiter? Oh well. Your strategy against these guys... hold your ground and try to get a few lucky knockbacks and a crit streak. They're hard to hit, they hit hard and they're completely unavoidable for a zon. Shoot and pray.
    Hammerdins: Hammerdins are fun to fight. We'll be bringing out one of our grand total of two strategies (All bowzon fights seem to be the same... >.>) and that is... dodge the hammers. I don't remember if they come out the top or the bottom. But remember that they have to stop to cast, so get out of the way of the first few loops and get a few shots in. Killing a hammerdin can take a while... a lot of the time they decide they're done trying to hammer me and just charge me :/
    FoH: Bring out your valk and decoy, shoot, and pray.
    Auradins: Sit in town or leave the game.
    Zealots: Zealots don't really exist, sorry.

Druids: Wind Druids: Multi them down (This is one of the few situations it may come in truly handy) and hope they don't decide to teleport on top of you immediately. Of course, they will and you'll die. Not much to do against wind druids.
    Ferals: Outrun, turn around and shoot is really your only option. Maybe they'll see a rabbit and chase it instead of you.

Necromancerererers: Bone! Dodge the spears, outrun the spirits, hope they don't decide to teeth you. It can be a bit like a fireball sorc... not hard to evade, just hard to get shots off at.
    Poison: You have two choices... mow or evade. Evading will only let you get a few shots off, but mow relies on the necro's inherent weakness because he probably own't have too strong of bone armor.

Teleporters in general: Lead. Lead like kitten chasing its prey with another kitten following it. Anticipate where they're going to go and launch some GAs there.

And that's Koshio's half assed bowzon guide >.>

Edit: Have a few things to add...

Expect to die a lot. Expect to have absolutely nothing you can do against that annoying hybrid bone/summoner necro or against all the thousands of desyncing smiter/charger/vindicators running around on battle.net. Expect to just have a paladin pop up out of nowhere and one-shot you. Expect some characters to use a combination of good gear and specific defensive skills to basically make you do no damage. D2 dueling is far from balanced, espescially for the bowazon, and you're going to die.

13. CaimDark

Thanks Koshio for the tips Koshio!!! Although, I see that the Bowazon is pretty much screwed against almost everyone!!!! I guess it's Blizzard's way of "balancing" duels after letting invencible bowazons run rampant for the last five years. I remember that when I last played this game with my zealot, in 2001 (wow, I'm getting old...) bowazons were invencible, as were WW barbs (except against bowazons). Now, with the news PVP rules, Enigma, and synergies, paladins seem to be the new dueling gods.

Anyways, now that I'm done with my WW barb (just got to level 86, more than enough to murder my friends, lol), I just might try a bowazon for the challenge after I finish building my hammerding.

14. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

"balancing" would actually require brains on blizzard's part

instead they introduced enigma, let it be duped to hell which allowed all the teleporting classes (except zons who suck at tele) to crush bowazons

15. CaimDark

Indeed, Enigma seems to be 80% of the reasons bowazons went from god-like to whimp-like. Instead of choosing a couple of classes to ridiculously overpower everyone else every new patch, it would be nice if they actually balanced duels and let everybody who doesn't play only the current patch's godlike classes to participate.

16. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

Thanks for that guide koshio.I just made a multi zon for running chaos and Im having lots of fun.Just thinking of making another for pvp.
    Youve given me ideas, although from your guide it doesnt sound too hopeful for the old zon:grin:
    Nice to read a guide with a sense of humour about it:smiley:

17. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Use slow gear. Its unethical but what the heck, you need it !

18. CaimDark

Unethical? I don't think anyone ever stopped using slow gear against me due to ethical considerations... but how does slow works in PvP these days? Does the old Buriza-Clegaw's Pincers combo still works in PvP?

19. xix sephra

xix sephra IncGamers Member

use the cheapest things you can use to win.. thats my motto :)

20. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

Nosferatu belt... 10% slow 10%ias :grin: