Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

is a phoenix strike assassin viable?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by sequoia, Jun 1, 2005.

1. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

is a phoenix strike assassin viable?

since ps doesn't have many synergies i was thinking that it'd be easy to max two synergies (ice and lightning) to handle immunes. how good is it in terms of damage and crowd control? how does it stack up with normal (whats a normal build :confused: ) builds and their speed?

thanks

2. ilkori

ilkori IncGamers Member

It's a good all-around build. The build takes far more skill than the "normal" builds of any class, but it can go anywhere due to its ability of getting around any immunity. Hell *can* be done without much equipment, but it will never comare to a kicker or trapper in terms of speed.

After saying all that, a Phoenix Strike build is the most fun I've had playing this game (aside from finding a few lucky drops...)

3. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

would it be possible to use kicks as finishing moves with phoenix strike?

4. Epsilon Eyez

Epsilon Eyez IncGamers Member

So far, I've only maxed Phoenix Strike and Claws of Thunder, and I must say, it kills copious amounts of demonic creatures.

As for your question, yes, it is possible to use kicks as finishers for Phoenix Strike, in fact, I highly recommend it, however, I cannot give you much information. From what I know, Dragon Flight (teleporting kick) is very good to use.

It kills pretty slowly compared to other powerful builds like Trapsin or Kicker, however infinitely more versatile, and crowd control is really good, assuming you also have either Cloak of Shadows, Mind Blast, or Shadow Master/Warrior.

5. BIGeyedBUG

BIGeyedBUG IncGamers Member

Sometimes people use a one-point Talon, just for releasing. The AR bonus is nearly as good as that of DC, and it can be as quick a release. I have heard people say that Talon's knockback will sometimes keep targets from being hit by Meteors, but that's tough for me to believe.

You could also build more of a hybrid Talon/Phoenix build, but the equipment demands would be kind of tough--lots of +skills for Phoenix, lots of CB for Talon.

Dtail could also be used, but it's not as natural a fit because it's AR bonus sucks and it's quite slow. Full-fledged Dtailers often use Phoenix/CoT as a backup skill though.

Dflight is usually a one-point utility for any melee Assassin.

6. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

cool, thanks guys

one more question: assuming i met a monster that was immune to neither, should i use the second (lightning) or third charge?

7. ilkori

ilkori IncGamers Member

Depends on their resistances. Sometimes a quick burst of FoF/CoT/BoI is what I use instead of Phoenix Strike. Your cold damage is going to be quite low (the "cookie-cutter" is Fire/Lit for damage), so your Lightning will be a better killer and a faster charge-up.

8. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

oh, ive always thought the icebolts were better than the meteor... learn something new every day :D

9. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

I have to say i like the 1st charge the most netoror is awesome with a kicker that and the 2 charge i almost never used the 3d charge for monsters i needed iced i use my one pt wonder BoI

10. custo

custo IncGamers Member

I have a build that uses Tiger Strike, Pheonix Strike and Dragon tail and it works pretty well, I'm having a hard time with it in the later part of hell though, but that might just be because I have really terrible equipment since it's my first character....donations :thumbsup:

11. ilkori

ilkori IncGamers Member

Which one you max is entirely up to play style. I prefer the Lit/Fire combination (with low physical backup), though others prefer the cold/freeze effects of the ice. Fire/Lit have more damage, but less crowd control - which is why I run with a Holy Freeze merc.

12. FrozenSolid

FrozenSolid IncGamers Member

I have an assa with maxed ps, cot, boi and fof. Dont really play with her anymore but she can solo baal with ease.

13. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

:eek: all three charges? that sounds kickass