Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is a fury/rabies hybrid viable for pvm?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Quietus, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Is a fury/rabies hybrid viable for pvm?

I'm looking at building a nonladder pvm fury/rabies hybrid, using the following setup :

Jalal's
    CoH (I have a dusk, going to try and get archon)
    Fury fanged knife (sup, 220% total ed)
    Stormsheild/Sanctuary (Not sure which, yet)
    Sandstorm Trek
    Carrion Wind

As you can see, I don't know what I'm going to use for gloves, belt, second ring or amulet yet. I want to use the fury fanged for style points... I don't know why, I just love the idea of using a weapon like that.

My problem is that I am horribly addicted to Feral Rage. So my build would have to contain :

20 feral rage
    20 rabies
    20 fury
    As well as balancing the rest between werewolf, lycanthropy, and oak sage. With Fury, I'd have ITD, so the ar from Werewolf would be pointless, I'm pure pvm. So I could look at maxing Lyc and Oak, for higher life...

I have a couple of questions regarding this.

1) What speed fury would I end up with?
    2) Would my rabies (At level 24), with the level 21 synergy glitch from Carrion, be viable without bramble?
    3) Is this build capable of handling itself in hell, in places like chaos sanctuary?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

In a case like this rabies is more of a backup skill. You bite the first monster in a pack and they slowly all get poisoned while you fury into them. It is very viable.

3. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

That's definately good to know, thank you.

I'm thinking, instead of a fury fanged (I just realized it's range 1 =/) I might go with a fury zerker axe, or something... slightly slower, but with a few more points in werewolf I can counterbalance that. Doom or beast are also attractive, but far more expensive... and I have to admit, I like the ITD aspect of Fury.

So. With my weapon kind of in the air, what do you think would be my best choice there?

4. Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey IncGamers Member

If you use Rabies a lot, Trang-Oul gloves are nice for the +25% Poison Skill damage, so I'd go with that. Verdungo's, Ravenfrost and Cat's Eye for belt, ring and amu are also recommended.

I dunno, for me, using 3 attacks simultaneously, can be very troublesome, and you'd proably end up neglecting at least one of them. It's up to you, but I'd ditch either Fury or Feral Rage and instead max Lycantrophy and Oak Sage.

5. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Feral Rage? You could just wear Dracul's Grasp and use Fury to trigger the Life Tap. You won't be moving as fast or leeching as much but it will save you a whole lot of points that can go into Werewolf/ Lycanthropy/ Oak Sage.

As for weapon... Beast Silver Edged Axe would be my vote... but maybe that's just me. Druids rock so much with Silver Edged Axes. You shouldn't rely on ITD though. It's nice and all, but you want to actually have a chance to hit bosses.

6. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

I was already planning on maxing lycanthropy.. oak sage would be nice, but I usually don't have too much trouble switching back and forth between three attacks. Particularly since it would be more like... keep fury on left click, feral and rabies hotkeyed to right. Feral would be kept charged, rabies only used once, at the beginning of a big pack, and maybe once again if it wore off. Primarily I'd be using my fury.

Beast was one of the options I was playing with. I'd like to keep to a one-handed weapon, so I'd probably end up with a zerker... I was liking fury for the whole bonus to ar, -% defense, AND ITD, along with nice speed and style points. Beast could potentially be more useful, though... hrm. I don't know >.<

Another option I have is to go ebotdz, which would give me more mana/life leech... that's a fairly standard option for most nonladder druids, it seems. I'd be able to switch to carrion/angelic combo for pvp, keeping something else going for pvm... except then I'd be lacking Cannot be frozen. Unless I used Trang belt... I don't know. -_-

7. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

If you need CBF, you can get it in a Rhyme shield.

8. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

True... 25 res, 20% more blocking, 40% (I think) fast blocking, and CBF isn't bad... that'd give me 25+65+30+30 = 150 resist all, with Anya, between CoH, rhyme, jalals and anya. Not shabby.

I do think though that my main problem is the weapon. Being that my skills will be VERY spread out, I think Fury is the best, so that I can sacrifice hard points into werewolf in exchange for rabies and not worry about my attack rating quite as much. Yes, I want to max Feral Rage - I think that this is important, because I will likely end up wearing Trang gloves. The 25% poison damage will be very gosu with rabies. The 30 cold resist will also be nice, maxing that... carrion wind covers my poison... If I were to wear highlords and aldur's, I'd have max resist all, which would be nice. Of course, war travs could be a much better boot choice, for the 15-25 damage, which will add to the damage I'd be lacking due to my Fury runeword weapon.

I have to say, the style inherent in the Fury Fanged Knife really attracts me. My main issue with it is it's being range 1... and the fact that a fury Berserker axe would be FAR more effective in terms of both damage and range. Yet, that just doesn't have the same sort of attraction, for me. Could anyone tell me how many frames I'd get with my fury attack, using fury fanged and fury zerker?

9. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Okay, looked into it myself - fury fanged would give me 9/5, fury zerker 9/6. I think that I'd rather go with the fanged, since I'm PvM. Yeah, the zerker would be much better damage/time-wise, but the fanged just has WAYYY too much going for it in terms of style points.

However, I just used the skill calc at d2skills.com to check out my rabies damage. I'm looking at an average of 10716 poison over 14 seconds, assuming level 26 rabies (jalals and CoH), with carrion wind synergy bug, with trang gloves. That works out to a huge 765 damage per second, before taking resists into account. Ugh.

I can't picture this being anywhere near enough to be feasible PvM. True, if I wanted to make this a possible PvA then I could use the rabies later in PvP, but... guh. I'm rapidly beginning to think that rabies is less of a reasonable support skill than I thought. Can anyone who has experience with hybrid fury/rabies druids give me some numbers on their rabies, and how effective it is, particulalry in places like Chaos Sanc and Worldstone?

10. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Rabies isn't about slaughtering whole crowds with your poison damage. It's about slowly eating away at the health of practically everything on the screen and halting their regen while you take on monsters one at a time with Fury. Like you said, it's a support skill. It weakens the crowd, so that when you get to the other enemies they're already half dead. It's kinda like Thunderstorm for sorcs, but a heck of a lot better. Rabies isn't meant to be a crowd killer. If you wanted to clear out entire crowds in seconds with poison damage, go play a venomancer. Rabies is for weakening. Fury is for killing.

By the way, Bramble would push it to 1k or more per sec.

If you need more incentive to use fanged knife, you can pass this weapon onto a Daggermancer and a Daggerzon as well, if ever you feel the need to make such a build.

Oh, that reminds me. Perhaps you should go for Goreriders and Highlord's Wrath for the CB/DS.

11. Forcefeedback

Forcefeedback IncGamers Member

Don't use a BotD weapon since all the poison novas going off will weaken rabies damage(don't know how much though).
    I don't understand why you would like to use high runes like Jah and Gul for a fury fanged knife since they aren't neccesarily worth much for any character anymore with grief's(another no-no for a rabies-fury hybrid since it casts venom) and everything out.
    Beast is as fast as fury, has better damage, has fanatism, has pmh(makes rabies much more efficient since regeneration can negate poison damage) cb(very important against high hp monsters of 8 player games) and ds. It even has a bonus to lycantrophy, can you turn down this kind of offer for a ffk? If you use beast you can get good summons damage by putting 1 point into dire wolves and none into bear. When you cast direwolves they will gain the charge synergy bonus of a level 13 grizzly, not to mention the fanatism aura. They aren't as durable as the bear though so use the grizzly charges or prebuff direwolves for special occasions.

To maximise rabies damage put plague bearer and a spirit runeword shield on switch for +7 to rabies when biting monsters. Bramble will be usefull with the poison damage it provides, plus you can amuse yourself with the pitiful damage it provides and curse it when lightning enhanced monsters spam their charged bolts with it. :D

Maxing both feral rage and fury isn't advisable.
    Feral rage lasts 20 seconds whether it is maxed or not. With one point it is at level 7 which is 36% life leach, 5 solid points -> 52% leach, 10 solid points -> 72% leach. As you can see the skill has severe diminishing returns so leaving it at 1 to 5 is enough.

Since you are PvM and have several +skills you should consider getting 1 point into grizzly(if using beast, 1 to dire wolves) bear to get a good recastable tank where the monsters can gather around and get infected. 1 point oak sage is nice, at least in nightmare since it's physical immune there.

Hope this helps.

12. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

fury rabies is pro at cow molesting.

bit them, then they're all half dead, bit again, run in charge up feral and fury away

13. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

I apologize, I thought I had mentioned somewhere there that I am nonladder. Hence, grief and spirit are not options for me.

The problem with Rabies isn't that it's not killing quickly, it's that it isn't killing at ALL. I built a single player test run character, and no matter where I went, the rabies didn't do ANY noticeable damage, even maxed with carrion glitch. Suffice it to say, I am not impressed with this build in the least. -_-

Thankfully, I hadn't bought the Jah for the fanged yet. I'd be horribly regretting it if I had. I find it amusing, though, that despite finding myself unimpressed with a fury druid, a build BASED on physical damage, weilding a fury fanged... part of me still wants to use one. Blah. :lol: Maybe I'll consider a daggerzon, but I know I'd still end up scrapping her.

14. xXDonVonXx

xXDonVonXx IncGamers Member

I have a really nice druid exactly like you said. Rabies, fury, oaksage
    Except one diff
    my stuff sucks
    and my druid is just fine in hell
    I like daggers to (I use a Fleshripper)

I never maxed feral rage so it could change some things with you

You will be fine

15. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

If you could let me know what gear you use, and give me some numbers (Rabies damage, damage with fleshripper, etc) I would appreciate it. Perhaps it would help me to realize where my problem is. I think a portion of the difference might come from the fact that your fleshripper grants crushing blow, a stat I am lacking.

16. Forcefeedback

Forcefeedback IncGamers Member

Not if you mean to use a beast weapon, it has 20%. If you don't mind running slower, add another 25% from goblin toes.

17. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Only problem with Beast, is that even if I were to make it in a war spike, caddy, or scourge (Not even sure if it can be in a scourge), the best I'll get is a 9/6 fury. I would much prefer to be a little faster than that. Fury would give me 9/5 in a -20 base weapon... which is slightly better. I could also get a 9/5 with a botd zerker. Beast simply does not attract me at all. Neither does Doom.

I'm kicking my own ass for trading away that 299/9 stormlash, now. :lol: A shael in that would give me a 9/5, with 33% CB AND a chance for static.

18. foosnark

foosnark IncGamers Member

My rabid wolf is destroying singleplayer /P8 normal so far (level 33ish). Extremely light on gear by battle.net standards -- Hellplague, Hawkmail, Vidala's boots and amulet, Manald Heal, Nagelring, Lore helm. No +skills or posion stuff yet.

The sheer joy of wiping out a screenfull of those damnable Flayers or Scarabs with one bite makes me giddy -- usually I don't have to bite twice unless they're not packed together closely enough. I killed the Travincal council on /P8 with my merc stuck on a distant wall -- I had to drink one blue potion, was never in serious danger (I think my health never dropped below 3/4) and never even considered retreating.

In terms of killing speed, run speed, independence from potion-chugging, safety, and overall fun... this is my best character yet. Maybe it will fall apart later but it rocks so far. My only regret is he's not HC :)