Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ironman rules/faq

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by sandwichforce, Jul 3, 2008.

1. sandwichforce

sandwichforce IncGamers Member

Ironman rules/faq

I figure I can't be the only person on the realms who's interested in hardcore ironman gaming, so I thought I'd post this up here for interested people. I'll also answer any questions about ironmanning in this thread.

First off I should differentiate coop play from the other two modes of ironman, tournies and lvl 9 duels. Tournies are where several competing players / teams try to get as far as possible in the game using ironman rules (see below). Sometimes there are also scoring systems for certain objectives, like waypoints found / skipped, bosses slain, specific items found, etc.

Lvl 9 duels are simply new HC chars who go out into the blood moor, get up to level 9, then come back and kill each other using only what they've found.

Coop play is exactly like tournament play, except you're just playing for fun. There are fewer restrictions than in tournaments (especially since there are no class/build restrictions in coop) but otherwise the rules are identical:

-Ironman (IM) mode works very similarly to Hardcore. You have to decide whether to be IM when you first make the character, and you can't change your mind once the character is made. Also like HC, IM characters can't play with non-IM characters.

-IM characters only use what they find on monsters while playing the game normally, with a very few exceptions. That means no twinking, rushing, experience runs, magic find runs, or even potion runs. This is one of the most important rules; it's central to IM play of any kind.

-No buying*, selling, repairing, gambling, or Cain identifying*. Ever. *(See below for NPC-specific exceptions to these rules)

-You can return to town as much as you want (to discuss strategy, switch equipment, distribute potions, etc.), but since you can't buy Town Portal scrolls, consider alternatives such as using waypoints and actually physically retreating if possible.

-You can make use of your stash as normal, however you want, but the nature of IM means you'll probably be storing a few less shakos and a lot more rejuvenation potions.

-You may only use the hirelings from quest rewards (Acts 1 and 3). In IM, your hirelings are hardcore; if they die, they die forever, and you can't get a new one until the next hireling quest.

-Although IM characters generally frown upon the Cow Level, there is no rule strictly forbidding it; however if you ever decide to enter the moo moo farm, you have to do full clears; this includes killing the Cow King.

-Although stated before, I want to make very clear that repeating an area for experience or items is forbidden. Bloody Runzzzz, Mephin, Baalin, etc. are not allowed. When continuing an IM game, you must start from your farthest waypoint. (Remember that you have to activate every waypoint in order, no exceptions. This also applies to quest completion.)

-You may not return to a previous act (or difficulty) for any reason. No backtracking of any kind is allowed.

-Finally, saving and exiting to avoid death or "bad pulls" is the ultimate act of non-IM cowardice. Tactical retreat is fine, cheating is not. Of course, the reality is that b.net is very unreliable, so if your connection gets dropped, or your game crashes, or a house falls on your computer, it's ok to resume from the appropriate waypoint like nothing happened. Although, un-intentional disconnects/lagouts/black walls of death pretty much invariably occur in the middle of sixty billion lightning enchanted, extra strong, extra fast Rape Beasts, so it's probably a moot point.

NPC exceptions:
    -You can Cain-ID 3 times per diff. level: when you first rescue him. You are required to use this ID the next time you are in town after freeing him from his crate. (This is assumed to be part of the quest reward.)

-You can buy a tome of TP and ID as soon as you have the money, but only once per character per tome. Furthermore, if you are going to buy these, you must pick up all gold you find starting from your very first quill rat, and you must purchase the tomes as soon as you have enough money to do so. This is because two extra full heals in Act 1 normal isn't that big of a deal, and the tomes are kind of essential. Also, you should discard however many scrolls come with the tomes. (Obviously tomes that drop from bookcases and the like are exempt from these rules.)

-There are only two times you can talk to Charsi (per diff. level): to return the Malus, and to imbue an item. You are still not allowed to use any of her regular services, though. Also, you must imbue an item before leaving Act 1.

Except where these rules apply, the only time you can talk to any NPC is when they have a ! bubble, and you may never use any NPC services.

I think that covers everything; there aren't really any extraordinary circumstances in Acts 2 - 5 you'd need to make rules for.

Reply here if you're thinking about making an IM character, I might even use this to start an 8-man IM group if enough people are interested.

Oh yeah and I realize I have like 4 posts and joined 3 days ago, so this is pretty presumptuous. I'm just trying to help build some community, please go easy on the flames

*sandwichforce useast

2. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

Re: Ironman rules/faq

I'm in for some Iron Man action! Let's get 1-2 more, if possible!

3. sandwichforce

hell yes!

1 *sandwichforce
    2 *myk_hc

we'll start playing at 3, feel free to jump in with any char as long as they've been IM from day one.

4. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor IncGamers Member

Sounds like fun, Might have to make a Ironman one later on, I normally play "Bronzeman", completly untweaked but you can repair and redo areas for fun and profit, but I might have to do a Iron man sometime soon :scratchchin:

5. sandwichforce

One more thing I should add: the level requirement is going to be +- 6 for now, to keep things balanced. Right now, you can be 1 - 8 to join.

I may change this later, since the difference between 40 and 52 is not nearly as noticeable as that between 6 and 18.

6. sandwichforce

Re: distorted humor

yeah that's how i played all my SC characters, simply because MFing is friggin' boring as hell, and also the game seems to get especially pointless that way

anyway if you decide to play post your acct name and i'll add it here

7. quaestro

quaestro IncGamers Member

I like timed IM games with like teams of 2 or 3. I have always played with the ability to gamble though. As it is fun/funny when you pull something good. Oh well I look forward to some of this fun!

8. sandwichforce

Re: quaestro

well the main reason there's no reason gambling is because the spirit of ironman is only using what you pry from the cold, dead hands of evil demons, but i can see how that'd be fun also

would you like me to add you to the list, and if so is quaestro your acct name?

9. quaestro

quaestro IncGamers Member

Re: quaestro

*padjdale

last name of a good friend RIP

10. sandwichforce

alright i'm getting bored so i'm just gonna start playing

name: ironcore
    pass: for the swarm

11. sandwichforce

oops, posted at the same time

*sandwichforce
    *myk_hc
    *padjdale

sorry about your friend

12. sandwichforce

one monster left in den of evil, i'm waiting so we can all get the quest

13. sandwichforce

ok i quit the game after clearing blood moor, i'll be in the channel for a while if you guys wanna start playing

14. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor IncGamers Member

my account is *drgong

15. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

I don't intend on playing at the moment, but I'd like to offer my congratulations to approximately the 2nd person I've ever seen on this forum who knows what ironman actually is.

16. Zelator

Zelator IncGamers Member

I thought ironman was dressing up your char with iron armors & helms and such...

17. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

I don't want to participate, I just wanted to mention 2 things.

First, this link:
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548007&highlight=ironman
    It has, in my opinion, some helpful tips and tricks. Just ignore the "rules" section at the beginning and keep scrolling past to the "General Tactics and Strategies" section.

Second:
    I participated in a "team ironman competition" I guess you could call it. There was 4 people, 2 on each team, and whichever team survived longer won.
    There wasn't really any planning involved (I don't even remember who was on my team). I made an assassin because I was pretty confident Fireblast would be a solid skill, it does decent damage right away, and you can access it right way. By sheer coincidence my teammate made a barbarion and very quickly put a few points into "Find Potions." I was able to kill things, and he basically kept us supplied with potions and we ended up winning. I would recommend having one of each on your team.

Have fun!
    -hps

18. sandwichforce

*sandwichforce
    *myk_hc
    *padjdale
    *drgong

alright we've got a solid group, guys just let me know when you'll be on (i am at -5 GMT)

also that is an excellent guide hp, i'd advise any newcomers to check that out before playing so they don't immediately die and/or get the party killed

changed my mind about my build yesterday, i'm going to be playing a thrower instead of a sword/shield tank; recommend a minion necro for meat shield