Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ironman questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Mesuno, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Mesuno

Mesuno IncGamers Member

Ironman questions

Inspired by various ironman threads and tourneys on here I'm just started my first ironman character - A HC singleplayer Necromancer (summoner).

So far I've got pretty lucky with items...

+2 summon skele wand,
    +1 skele/ +1 skele mastery wand
    +2 Skele mastery/ +1 skele head

so my skills have risen pretty fast - the head is even two socketed so I can make rhyme in it eventually given some rune hunting.

I bought myself a tome of tp and a tome of identify early on and the tome of tp has rapidly filled up - will i'm always desperately looking for ID's for my charms and magic goods.

So my questions are -

Playing ironman do you allow yourself to return to town to use your stash? ( I have been so far)

How do you handle the shortage of ID scrolls?

What do you personally keep/chuck that you wouldn't do normally?

Are there any particularly useful cube receipes?

Any tips much appreciated - I'm nearly ready to take on Andy!

2. BongoFury

BongoFury IncGamers Member

Pure Ironman doesn't allow you to buy anything, so people often abandon the attempt if they don't find a set of tomes in the jail. But others get around this by buying one of each like you did.

I use the stash in town freely.

ID scrolls are some of the most valuable things in Ironman. Hence people tend to play with as little use of ID scrolls as possible, saving them till later in the game when you'll find more useful items. If you ID stuff in A1 Normal you might find a ring of +1 light radius, while if you save your scroll till later that ring might actually be something you can use for many acts. With luck you'll find an extra ID tome in the Jail and can have 2 full tomes and then use up the extras as you find them.

As a Necro you won't be wearing out weapons or armor, so you don't have that problem. When playing a melee type I like to have a backup for each item slot, so you don't have a naked spot when something breaks. And you generally use your second best weapon for general questing and save your best weapon for tough fights and act bosses. As a Necro maybe keep a summoning set of gear and a questing set. Use the summoning set to raise your army and then switch to the more protective items to quest. For the early game, throwing potions are also a nice supplement. You'll need to build up a stock of potions too for the big fights. For example, you'll need a store of Antidote potions for the Andy fight or you'll surely lose your merc (and there's no reviving them so once they're lost you're on your own [skeletons are notoriously poor conversationalists]). And you'll need Juvies and Mana pots for the Diablo fight.

Study the cube recipies and only keep the ingredients you will likely need. Anything else can be chucked, or left on the ground by your stash and refreshed regularly so that at the end of your playing session you can sort through it all and decide what is most valuable. Also, remember to store your largest item on your cursor between playing sessions. And equip big items and store your wand(s) in the stash between sessions.

Good Luck and keep us updated on your progress.

3. Mesuno

Mesuno IncGamers Member

Right - I had figured some of that already the hard way!

potions - I've got as far as the barracks and haven't found a single Antidote potion - getting worried about that. Also my belt seems very small being only two rows right now. Would you bother keeping small rejuves from act1 - i started to but ended up without about 10 fairly quickly so gave up as my stash filled.

ID's - You're right- I have been IDing some rings and things and they are all fairly rubbish. I was thinking that maybe keeping early rings and cubing 3 not ID'd would yield me an ID'd amulet but I'm guessing the available mods would suck until much later :(

Breakages - I realised breakages would be a problem very early on as my first noob wand broke within about 2 minutes of fallen bashing! Nothing else has gone so far but I'm keeping a spare head in my stash for now.

Cube recipies i've been thinking about

3 chippies -> does this work on all weapons? Could i sort my merc out with a nice bow in act2?
    3 rejuves -> full rejuv
    repair item -> uses 'Ral' rune yes? anything else?

I seem to have collected about a million chipped gems too- and a few countess runs have given me some low runes but nothing exceptional so far. I'm wearing a helm with 2 chipped skulls for health regen to try and save on the number of pots I'm using carrying - helps quite a bit with Bone Shield and skeles to tank for me.

Charms - So far I've gathered about 25% res cold from charms and 5% res fire but they are pretty bulky!

Also I've been collecting gold pieces as a way of keeping score :)

4. BongoFury

BongoFury IncGamers Member

Save enough juvies to get you through Andy, toss the rest. When you get to A2 I generally get the cube first, then go back and do Raddy.

You really shouldn't have a problem with breakages, a Necro should only get hit rarely. So only keep back up equipment if it has a useful backup afix/skill.

Traditional Ironman rules are once through, full clears, no 'running' areas. But it's your game so do as you see fit.

Look at some of the low level runewords; Stealth, Steel, Malice, ...

I'm a compulsive gold picker upper, so even in Ironman I pick up every pile that drops. It's not any use, but what else is your Necro going to do while watching your minions doing the dirty work?
    ;-)

5. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

This may not be technically accurate, but based on my own perception, rejuvs drop a ton in Act I, but slow down dramatically after that (maybe it's just there are more possible items that can drop). Whenever I play any untwinked single pass character, I save as many rejuvs as I can possibly store, even to the point of carrying around a large inventory of them as well as having them in the stash.

Even if it's all in my head, you have plenty of rejuves to cube in Act II.

Don't forget about the cube recipe to repair items as well, if you find one you particularly like such as Vipermagi.

Edit: "What do you personally keep/chuck that you wouldn't do normally?"

I didn't think about this since I normally save my gems anyway, but gems are used in almost every single cube recipe. Save what you can for rerolling merc weapons, socketing, rerolling heads and wands, etc.....

6. Mesuno

Mesuno IncGamers Member

Minor update -

Just hit level 23 last night, and moved into act 2.

previous advice has turned out to be very helpful, thansk to all!

I have be hoarding my ID scrolls much more and have half a dozen stored up. My necro is now in act 2 and has played at players 8 right the way through so far. Andy was a joke, although I'm not going back there until I have found a few more antidote potions - I had only found 1 when I fought her and was nervous about my merc dying.

I have collected the horadric cube and killed radamant for the skill book so far, but gone no further yet. A lot of my gems have cubed up, and I also cubed all the rings and ammy's i had collected so far - this works well as they come out of the cube already identified which saves on scrolls. I guess i'll be lagging behind the possible game drops though until my character level rises. I did cube a lit res/15% mf ammy though which is nice for now.

My skeles 9 skeles are doing around 80 dmg each which is fine for now but i'm a little worried how they will cope later without an aura merc for dmg bonuses.

My best items so far are still my head (+1 skele, +2 mastery, +2 amp, 2 sockets) and my wand (+2 skele), but I also have made a stealth armour and found crushflange mace. Neither are excellent but the crushflange does have a very nice 50% fire res bonus so I'm keeping it for possible use later.

So generally, looking good but i'm worried if the skeles will keep up later without +skills gear and a merc aura on them!

7. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

I suggest preparing yourself for the fight with Diablo as soon as possible.

What I mean is, decided on the tactics you are going to use now, and make sure you have the skill points allocated as soon as you can, rather then reaching the CS and realizing you forgot to put a point in IM (or whatever it may be).

Your skellies might be a bit underpowered for a while due to your re-alocation of resorces (skill points). But that will be the least of your worries if you end up standing beside Diablo beating him to death with your wand because your merc is dead, you're skellies only survive one ring of fire, and you have no IM so he can't even beat himself to death on your gumby.

Physical Damage Reduction anyone? It's too bad Sol runes are so rare in Norm.

-hps

Edit: I don't speak from experience (I've never done an Ironman like this before). The above is just what I thought.

8. Mesuno

Mesuno IncGamers Member

Hmmmm.. thanks, i actually hadn't thought about it much.. I guess there are a few essential i'm going to need to get sorted.

A level in summon resists,decrep (i'm relying on amp from my wand atm), ironmaiden - hadn't ever thought of that as a way of dealing with diablo.. does it work? Guess i'm going to have to pray for a sol at some point and make myself a lore helm (+1 skills/dmg reduce). Would it be worth getting revives too a build up a meat shield or try to buff my skeles more? I have nearly maxed skeles - mastery has 1 hard point. Guess I'm going to have to level my arse off on chaos santuary runs before I take on the big man himself... need to make sure my merc keeps up with me or she will die to that first ring of fire :(

What is a good level to aim for for him? Is it feasibly to get to about level 40 before taking him on?

9. SiTro

SiTro IncGamers Member

I'd say no, but /p8 full clears maybe about 33 or so? I can't say for certain, but I remember a post from Jiansonz a while back saying he reached lvl31 in lower kurast - a personal best. This is someone who plays HC single pass full clears.

I suggest skipping the Outer Steppes in Act 4. That way when it comes to the Diablo fight you can return there to rebuild an army once Big D takes them down. Believe it or not, Diablo in Normal is probably the toughest challenge for a summoner necro. Be ready for it.

10. Mesuno

Mesuno IncGamers Member

Right - update time after a bit of playing today whiel avoiding work :p

He has fully cleared act2 now, from the lost city wp which I found right at the end of my last session. Act2 Norm seems to be INCREDIBLE for dropping Identify Scrolls, in particular the arcane sanctuary - I was picking up everyone until I realised I had filled all teh space in my inventory with scrolls, as well as my tome. Finding far more ID's than magical items to identify!

Everything here was easy, although the arcane sanctuary was slow. An act1 ranged merc really helped here, And finding some max dmg jewels has helped her out loads. Adding +9 max to her armour took her from max of 45 up to 77! seems to have a really big damage multiplier, worth remembering for the future if I ever need to twink a merc. 4 Socket armour with 4 physical dmg jewels would be uber :p

Still haven't got her any leech though so she is a little fragile.

Duriel was easier than i expected although there seemed to be a bug with my skeles. I found that of the ten 2 or 3 of them would wander round his chamber aimlessly and never engage him. This sucks he normally kills 7 or 8 skeles by about the same point he dies so is pretty much free to come after ME.

No really useful item finds still, bar the wands and heads which I've done quite well on. I did just cube up a +1 traps/24% MF amulet (3 rings recipe) which is kind of cool, I'll keep trying for a summoning one now I know it is possible.

Skills :-

Raise Skele 20 (24)
    Mastery 1 (2)
    clay Golum 1 (1)

Amp 1 (3)
    Bone Armour 1 (4 on switch)
    Attract Curse 1 [ and 1 in pre-reqs]

Numbers don't look quite right but it is about that. I'm trying to get some utility skills up before Diablo - Summon resist will be next, then Decrep which should both be ready by the time I get to him. With luck I can get a couple of extra levels of skele mastery in there too.

Onwards to Act 3

11. Mesuno

Mesuno IncGamers Member

Act3 sucks...

I've ended up with a terrible map for the swamps at the start and after nearly an hour exploring found only the first wp. Used up most of my ID's on charms and jewelery but think it was worth it as I now have some reasonablegear to switch in later - tonnes of fire res, some lit, damage/magic dmg reduce and about 50% mf total.

Most of my gear is still total rubbish though. Every pair of boots i've ID'ed has had a single +dex mod :(

bed now